Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And that brings me to my 6 monthly update

Finally got the tyres fitted up to the rims. Was tossing up between the Yokohama AD08R in 205/50/15 or Hankook RS4 in 225/45/15. Decided to go with the AD08Rs, because I couldn't find any Hankooks in stock, and I thought it would be a good chance to try them just in case I have a crack at the Clubsprint class at WTAC in 2019.

Also grabbed some 949 racing wheel nuts whilst I was at it.

Fitted them up and went for a run out to QR to watch the Jap Nats and catch up with a few people that I hadn't seen for a while.

One step closer to getting back on track. Just need to fit up the Sparco seats and a harness now.
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

Two updates within a week, WTF!!

Finally pulled my finger out and got around to looking at fitting the Sparco seats. I'd been putting this off because I needed to sort a solution for the seat belt buckles. These are attached to the seats in an NB, so I was sure I'd need to get a set of NA stalks to install in the car or try to come up with some sort of adapter bracket for the standard buckle, but thought what the hell let's just see how they fit.

I'd purchased these adapters from Jass Performance to retain the standard sliders on the Sparco seats, as I want to try and get them mod plated at some stage, and I'd heard it made fitment a lot easier than trying to muck around with drilling or adapting the standard rails to suit the mounting holes in the seats etc.

Started with the drivers side and fitted up the adapters to the Sparco, easy.

Next I unbolted the rails from the standard seat and transferred them onto the Sparco. These are held down with nuts onto the adapter, so I used a bit of threadlock for peace of mind.

This is when I discovered that the plate that the seat belt buckle is attached to, is part of the rail itself (hadn't really thought this through up until this point). This meant that the seat belt buckle sat alongside the Sparco seat, and whilst not in a perfect position, didn't work too bad. Once the buckle is clipped in, it sits flush with the top of the seat bolster and the seat belt itself comes straight across the top of the bolster.

Then it was simply a matter of dropping them in, connecting the wiring under the drivers seat and bolting them back in. All done in about an hour.

As far as weight savings goes, the Sparco seat with the rails was only about 1.8kgs lighter than the standard seat, but at least it's another 3.6kgs out of the car.

I never really liked the feeling of the standard seats, always felt like I was sitting on top of them rather than in them. Not any more
      2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Comment

Are those adapter plates available for the NA? I've had a spare Sparco for the pax side sitting around forever.
        The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal View Post
          Are those adapter plates available for the NA? I've had a spare Sparco for the pax side sitting around forever.
          Same same really. NA and NB share the same floorpan and seat rails.
          Chris
          ------
          The new nugget
          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Although Na has the buckle bolt into trans tunnel which is a million times easier for putting in aftermarket seats
            www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post
              Although Na has the buckle bolt into trans tunnel which is a million times easier for putting in aftermarket seats
              Meh tossed the belts long ago. It's mod plated for 2 race harnesses.
              The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post
                True, but with those adapters you use the stock rails, so it keeps the buckle bolt.
                Chris
                ------
                The new nugget
                I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Decided to concentrate on Time Attack events in this car, as it's a side of motorsport that is really starting to appeal to me. Our first event will be the second round of the timeattack.com.au Lakeside series held on 9th of June, so time to pull my finger out. Plan is to run this series in Street Class this year, and see where it takes us. I would love a crack at the Clubsprint Class at WTAC next year, but a lot of development to do before we get to that stage. Not that I ever think I'd be competitive, but would be great just to be part of it.

Finally got around to installing the six point harness. Grabbed some 75 x 50 x 3mm plates from the local steel mob down the road to use as backing plates for the eye bolts, and everything else was pretty straight forward. Still a few things to tidy up this weekend before he hit the track.

2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Comment

Fitted up the fire extinguisher over the weekend. Wanted to retain the ability to adjust the passengers seat on the rails, so came up with this.

Firstly bent up a bracket using some 25mm x 3mm aluminium flat bar to be bolted into the side mounting holes in the Sparco Sprint.

Then once I had the right shape, I rounded the ends, and mounted the extinguisher bracket.

And then, just refitted the seat, and slotted the extinguisher into the bracket.

The passengers legs will easily clear the extinguisher and it's easy for me to reach from the drivers seat in case of an emergency.
                    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Comment

I like this, let me know when you go for another mountain run, would be keen to take my ND out
                      No Power chips thanks

Comment

How much roughly were the Advan tyres?
                        "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                        (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                        Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by (pennywise) View Post
                          I like this, let me know when you go for another mountain run, would be keen to take my ND out
                          This car is pretty much destined to be a road registered track car from now on, so probably won't do too many more mountain runs, but If I head out for some 'testing' I'll let you know.

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
                          How much roughly were the Advan tyres?
                          Pretty sure I paid $189 each for them at Action Tyres on the Gold Coast.
                          2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Comment

So after two years of ownership, I finally made it out to the track in this thing. Ran it in the Time Attack event at Lakeside, which is not the place I would have necessarily chosen to have a 'shakedown' in a new car, but wanted to run in this series, so just had to bite the bullet and do it.

It also turns out it had nearly been two years since I raced in the Lakeside 300, which was my last run here, and only the second time I'd driven a car in anger in that time as well, and boy did it show. The first two sessions were full of bad lines, braking points and some ham fisted gear changes. The gear change thing was partly down to the fact that I hadn't driven a 6 speed box on the track before, and the seating position is a little compromised, and I sit too far forward of the gear stick to be comfortable. Might need to tweak the seat position a bit.

The car ran well though. Mechanically it didn't miss a beat, and no signs of overheating even with the standard radiator. The brakes were ok, but I think I've found the limits of the A1RM pads. Might need to step up to something with a higher temperature rating. Biggest issue was suspension however. It's really quite soft with the MCA Blue coilovers, standard sway bars and rubber bushings.

We still managed a 63.0 which placed us 2nd in class overall for the day by only 3 tenths, so pretty happy with that for our first outing. With some changes to the suspension and some more seat time I reckon we can get down to mid 61s with the AD08R tyres.

2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Comment

Great build, looks great... I have been watching with continuing interest.

Comment

Originally posted by TCR View Post
                                I hadn't driven a 6 speed box on the track before
                                Horrid aren't they.

What tyres did you set the 63 on?

Comment

Working...
                                X