Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCR
    replied
    Not our best day at the track, but the car is home all in one piece

Started off ok with an easy 61.89 in the first session, and followed it up with a 61.53 in the second session. Into my first hot lap of the third session, and I lost power steering halfway through the Eastern Loop. Fearing I'd drop power steering fluid everywhere, I jumped to the inside of the track and limped back to the pits. Thankfully it was just a belt, but what was strange was that it was only 6 months old, as I'd replaced it when i removed the AC compressor. Got another belt from the local Repco and had it back on in 15 minutes, but missed the fourth session. After lunch I did another 3 sessions, but just couldn't get back into the groove, and didn't improve on the morning's time.

Conditions were good, and I thought I was in with a shot of improving on my 61.28 from last time, but it just didn't happen.

Another really well run day though. 70 cars ran over 6 groups, and even with that many entries, they all got 8 sessions.

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    How did you go yesterday mate?

Leave a comment:

• Ribfeast
    replied
    Probably less road/wind noise with the hardtop too I'm guessing.

Leave a comment:

• TCR
    replied
    The NA version I have, with the brackets instead of the OEM catches is just under 20kgs apparently.

Leave a comment:

• Cal
    replied
    Originally posted by lickmyleftone View Post
    How much do the hard tops weigh?
    23kgs

Leave a comment:

• TCR
    replied
    Originally posted by Cal View Post
    Thing is, on some tracks you might want to take it off. Bluey is faster at Morgan Park for instance without the hardtop.
    Although I've done it on the odd occasion, I've never really had any interest in driving any of my MX5s with the roof down, especially on the track. I much prefer the look of them with the hardtop, the security if I park it somewhere, the better vision through the rear window, and the general consensus is that they are slightly faster around the track with them on. On the shorter configurations at MP, they might be a tenth or two faster without the 20kgs over your head, but that's not enough for me to bother about.

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    Less than the soft top, about 20kgs.

Leave a comment:

• lickmyleftone
    replied
    How much do the hard tops weigh?

Leave a comment:

• Cal
    replied
    Thing is, on some tracks you might want to take it off. Bluey is faster at Morgan Park for instance without the hardtop.

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    Good stuff. I'm looking to follow suit soon.

Leave a comment:

• TCR
    replied
    Originally posted by Cal View Post
    How are you supposed to homo about with a fixed hardtop?
    I dunno about you mate, but my nopics says she prefers the hard one over the soft one

Leave a comment:

• Cal
    replied
    How are you supposed to homo about with a fixed hardtop?

Leave a comment:

• TCR
    replied
    Arranged to swap my soft top for a hardtop with cash adjustment. The hardtop was in reasonable condition, but I had a few things that I wanted to do before fitting it.

First thing was to remove a snapped bolt in the hardtop. Luckily it came out fairly easily with an easy out.

Seciondly I removed some old tint from the rear window. Used a mix of cloudy ammonia and water sprayed onto the tint, and then wrapped it in black plastic bags and left in the sun for a few hours. Not sure how much that helped, but it came off fairly easily and in one piece.

Lastly I wanted to tidy the paintwork up a bit. Filled a few imperfections and then sanded it all back.

I always wanted to mount the hardtop permanently, so luckily for me the hardtop came with a full set of Jass hardtop mounts.

Finished it off four coats of matte black and another four coats of matte clear. I'm certainly no painter, but it looks good enough for now

Leave a comment:

• TCR
    replied
    Originally posted by lightyear View Post
    Looks like your doing well. I will have to pull my finger out and make a nice lightweight roof for you.
    Thanks, and yes you do

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    Originally posted by lightyear View Post
    Looks like your doing well. I will have to pull my finger out and make a nice lightweight roof for you.
    Make that 2.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X