Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 Valiant CM Regal 'Survivor' Thread

'Survivor' cars. Can't stand them. Some rich eccentric person generally buys a 1 of 5 high dollar car and forgets about it in a shed for about thirty years, and their kids pull it out and auction it for top dollar because it's rare and has about 20km on the odometer.

This one is a true survivor in that it's a crap example of a crap model, that's been poorly looked after and should have been crushed into a cube on at least three separate occasions since I've owned it. Hopefully this thread doesn't end with it actually getting crushed into a cube.

This forum is entirely responsible for my ownership of this car, and probably responsible for the way it's going. Someone started a 2011 Shitbox Rally thread, I jumped on the bandwagon and got a late entry by promising to provide medical support and started looking for a car. Entered it with my cousin who lives in Adelaide.

The sub $1000 car market is a strange beast and I'd already walked away from a $250 110,000km EA Falcon and free '91 Lancer (with rego and RWC) before taking a long shot and calling up for a carsales ad for a 1979 Valiant for $1100 in New Farm, about a block away from my nopics place. This was at the extreme top end of the budget but the seller called me back a few hours later saying the landlord was evicting the car from the visitor parking and he had already hired a wrecker to tow it for $50 the next day. Blood in the water!

Headed over there with the Skoda straight away. This is the first time I saw the car, 6th of August 2010 according to my phone.

Seller was a young guy, PT, and it had been his first car. I suppose alarm bells should have rung when he got held up at work and he phoned to say that it was unlocked and didn't need a key to start it so I could take it for a test drive (also unregistered). But this was way cooler than anything else on the horizon so I hung around.

While he headed over I sat in the car for a while, admired the smell (indescribable, slightly mouldering but not entirely unpleasant) and wondered about the white powder all over the back seat. Tried to start it but didn't get very far because I didn't know the formal starting procedure (choke on, pump throttle thirty times, then it always fires on the third hit).

When he finally arrived he was a decent enough bloke, but the worst negotiator on earth. I bought it for the grand sum of whatever I had in my wallet at the time, which happened to be $70. Also talked him into including delivery as home was 500m away and there was no rego, plus the car was only working on five cylinders at the time. We just drove there straight away, I printed and we both signed the papework and I walked back to pick up the Skoda later, Valiant safely left abandoned on the street outside our unit.

Comment

Double
      Originally posted by Walt Kowalski:
      I knew it. That orange bastard is controlling the weather with HAARP just to save his Mar-a-Lago property where he intends to host his handler, Vladimir Putin, at next years G7 which will be morphed back into the G8.

Comment

Glad it's not crushed.
        Originally posted by Walt Kowalski:
        I knew it. That orange bastard is controlling the weather with HAARP just to save his Mar-a-Lago property where he intends to host his handler, Vladimir Putin, at next years G7 which will be morphed back into the G8.

Comment

I love survivors - not the "tucked away for 30 years" stories but neat, unrestored cars that have had a long and useful life and are still going strong. Looking forward to this thread.

Comment

'Neat' might be exaggerating it a bit!

I fully admit I didn't really know much about Valiants at the time, so a lot of what I've worked out about the car came over the next five years.

All I knew then was it was a '79 CM 265 hemi with the Borg Warner Auto. 360,000km on the clock, and it somewhat surprisingly came with all the books, manual and service record, towbar and rego receipts for a 17 foot boat, which explained just how hard a life it had up until that point.

Looking through the car after I bought it, the main impression was one of rust, followed closely by one of mould. Turns out the white powder all over the back seat was talcum powder in an ill advised attempt to dry the interior out a bit.

I left it on the street looking abandoned for a fortnight or so, before yielding to reality and having it towed to my cousin's farm up near Cooroy. It wasn't going to make it on five cylinders. On arrival in Cooroy:

It looks awesome from that angle. Closer up, not so. Boot rust.

Split, mouldy interior.

With the back seat being particularly awesome.

And the plenums. The plenums....

Though the 265 was 5/6 intact at least, ran on gas (sort of) and petrol fairly well. Though at some stage the lean burn module had been hollowed out and an older vac advance distributor fitted.

Love how you get bonus stuff with old cars. A pair of shoes, a folding chair, some rope, a random bit of timber (I never found out what it was for) and $6.70 in change in the glovebox.

The Shitbox Rally guys actually let me deduct the $6.70 from the purchase price, if anyone is interested. $62.30 in so far, plus $100 for the tow.

The first time it was saved from the crusher.

Comment

Great stuff.
              Smug elitist wanker since 2013.

Comment

this thread has potential
                1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
                The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

Thats really clean for a $60 valiant.. like really clean.
                  Originally posted by Rdyno
                  70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                  Originally posted by Tripper
                  Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Yep, plenums and right hand chassis rail where the steering box bolts on, are guaranteed to have rust in them for any Valiant.

Those plenum repairs would have been enough to be overcapitalising, even filling the thing on gas would be overcapitalising.....

Comment

Love a cheap rolling resto, especially of a bit of an orphan - keep going!

Comment

You haven't seen the start of overcapitalising yet. (Ominous noise).

Decoding the options later, this one turns out to be a bit of an odd duck. It's actually pretty highly optioned, just all the shitty options, and most of them had been removed or broken.

The body plate specifies: E33, D32, V10, H51, R26, S77, W35.

This sounds awesome until you decode it:
                        E33 - 265 hemi
                        D32 - Automatic, column shift.
                        V10 - Vinyl Roof.
                        H51 - Air Conditioning.
                        R26 - Radio/Cassette Player.
                        S77 - Power Steering.
                        W35 - Alloy Wheels.

On top of that it was originally paint code BERG6006 - Caramel Metallic. This is actually a pretty awesome colour in a late 70s sort of way, but it had received a doors closed respray at some stage in the 80's to the generic Spinnaker White.

Comment

That's a lot of fucking overspray in the door jams for a "closed door" job. :p
                          Originally posted by oioioioioi
                          I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
                          Originally posted by Sketchy
                          Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

Comment

Sorry, I used the term 'closed door' when I should have said 'oversprayed'. A shit job, nonetheless! That's actually the white flaking off to show the caramel.

Comment

Hit it with a high pressure hose and it'll probably be gold again. Either that or you'll find all the other rust :D
                              Originally posted by oioioioioi
                              I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
                              Originally posted by Sketchy
                              Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

Comment

Working...
                              X