No announcement yet.

1979 Valiant CM Regal 'Survivor' Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing visual because I was running late for work - but had to stop by the workshop today because I neglected to include the wheel nut lock key in the box of parts (sorry Brian!).

We're getting some good progress and are having a few wins; which I didn't expect.
    - The 12.19 inch front Wilwoods are all mounted up and actually clear the wheels. Mint! The tolerances were pretty marginal so I didn't expect that. They are massive compared to the stockers.
    - The AMC-20 is actually the correct width - within 5mm of the old diff.

The rear axle is going in this afternoon, brake lines are being made up and fuel tank fabrication will start shortly.

Two minor issues only - the rear brake caliper brackets were installed backwards (hopefully this doesn't speak too much of the quality of workmanship in the rest of the diff) so will need to be reversed. And for some reason the new diff has 1/2 inch wheel studs instead of 7/16. So I have to spend like $15 on new wheel nuts. Tragic.

Comment

With the extra grunt the 1/2 studs aren't a bad thing, swapped mine over recently when I did the diff centre/axles, one less thing to worry about.
      Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

I agree, though now I have 7/16 on the front and 1/2 on the back! I'm fairly sure I'll be swearing at wheel nuts at some stage.

Having been caught on this one before, I also got Brian to check that one side on the new diff wasn't reverse thread, which is an old Chrysler trick.

Should be able to get first startup this year. The only real major issues left are to find a workable solution to the cable kickdown/DBW TB issue and make the Haltech talk to the gearbox to switch the OD/lockup.

Of course the gearbox/diff/engine might explode on first startup, and any one of a million other things could go wrong but I'm quietly confident!

Comment

Might be worth just getting the fronts done now while it's less inconvenient. I had 1/2in fronts and 7/16 rears from when I did my front brake upgrade like 7yrs ago (and still had stock diff and axles), not a huge problem or anything but it did make my OCD twitch whenever I had to remove wheels. :p
          Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Shouldn't be a huge issue because it's a staggered setup anyway - I can't rotate front to back.

As long as the wheel nut locks match it'll be fine.

Comment

Could you not just have a small Arduino sitting on the Canbus triggering a “boot popper” style solenoid at WOT?

Same device could also watch some other Haltech messages and tell the gearbag to do things?
              ---
              Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                I agree, though now I have 7/16 on the front and 1/2 on the back! I'm fairly sure I'll be swearing at wheel nuts at some stage.

Having been caught on this one before, I also got Brian to check that one side on the new diff wasn't reverse thread, which is an old Chrysler trick.

Should be able to get first startup this year. The only real major issues left are to find a workable solution to the cable kickdown/DBW TB issue and make the Haltech talk to the gearbox to switch the OD/lockup.

Of course the gearbox/diff/engine might explode on first startup, and any one of a million other things could go wrong but I'm quietly confident!

We chose that throttle pedal as welding and grinding is possible but also retaining the DBW.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                  Could you not just have a small Arduino sitting on the Canbus triggering a “boot popper” style solenoid at WOT?

Same device could also watch some other Haltech messages and tell the gearbag to do things?
                  Fortunately the gearbox is an A-518 and has two solenoids built in - one for the overdrive, one for the lockup. In theory the Haltech should be able to tell each when to do its thing, I understand. Hopefully it works!

Tim's right - the throttle pedal just needs an extension and a bracket for the cable. I think it just needs to be 1:1 for the kickdown. Brian's both cluey and owns a V8 Charger, I'm thinking it should work out ok!

Just finding things to go wrong. I'm running out and waiting for the sting in the tail.

Comment

Hmmm, you could be back in front......

Good to see good progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                      Nothing visual because I was running late for work<snip>
                      A doctor, running late? WELL I NEVER!

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Originally posted by Old Major
                      Perhaps she feels inadequate when you cum in other guys?

Comment

positively on time compared to the fuckin government

Comment

Managed to stop by and annoy Brian again today.

There has been a bit of progress - but none of it's on the car yet. The tank has been all folded up and is being welded up this week - 95L with a 'little bit mullet, but not full A9X' style. Should get me to the shops and back.

Otherwise he's just waiting on the chance to get the diff in. Once the tank is in it's basically all just connecting stuff together. Hopefully still on track for first start this year. Maybe.

Comment

That's definitely good progress!

Comment

So, Friday then?

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Originally posted by Old Major
                              Perhaps she feels inadequate when you cum in other guys?

Comment

Originally posted by Nitephyre View Post
                                So, Friday then?
                                Just like mine......

And like mine, it's a tad difficult to determine which Friday.......

Comment

Working...
                                X