1979 Valiant CM Regal 'Survivor' Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He ran an 11.5 first time out as well. Not hanging around!

Comment

Man, I expected progress to continue at the rate it had in the daily posts! This is taking FOREVER!!!
      Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Sorry, welcome to my world of real time updates!

If it's any consolation, the final priming is now about half finished, so only about 4-6 weeks and the bodywork will be done. I'll post the pics when I finally get them! Needs to go back to the first guy for a small chassis repair and he's getting the suspension powder coated and rebushed.

The engine mounts are currently being welded up, and the k-frame should be off for the rack and pinion conversion shortly. Hopefully get the engine in early next year. Hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by uuheels View Post
          This was at the Chrysler Expo at Rocklea this morning:

It certainly looks purposeful and has made me rethink fitting an LS to my Val.......
          How cool is that
          Originally posted by Walt Kowalski:
          I knew it. That orange bastard is controlling the weather with HAARP just to save his Mar-a-Lago property where he intends to host his handler, Vladimir Putin, at next years G7 which will be morphed back into the G8.

Comment

His attention to detail is awesome, I think I'm going to rip off some of his ideas! Fortunately he's keen to try his engine mounts on a rack and pinion k-frame so he's sorting that side of things out for me. Legend!

Fuck logistics though - to do this I need to borrow a CM k-frame from him (the radius rod mounts are different to VG-CL), ship it to Sydney for the rack and pinion arms, get it back and give it to him to weld the mounts on, before replacing his k-frame with the one out of my car. Chequebook builds get complicated sometimes.

Robevo informs me that Cooper Cobras/Mastercraft Avengers are shite and recommends Nankangs at half the price. The word Nankang scares me slightly, anyone have any experience? I figure at $100-125 per corner I can order in some legal Nankangs for roadworthy (I can only legally fit 245/60r15 on the rear) and then upgrade to something wider and stickier later if necessary.

Comment

The Nangkangs aren't to bad, but see if the Maxxis tyres are still available. That's what my tyre at Brendale, the other now confused Rob since PISS98's visit.....

I have 235/60/15 and 245/60/15 mounted on 7 and 8" performance Challenges ready to go on my Charger, but that may change to 8" for the front and 9" for the back with a suitable upgrade to 265/650/15 tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                His attention to detail is awesome, I think I'm going to rip off some of his ideas! Fortunately he's keen to try his engine mounts on a rack and pinion k-frame so he's sorting that side of things out for me. Legend!

Fuck logistics though - to do this I need to borrow a CM k-frame from him (the radius rod mounts are different to VG-CL), ship it to Sydney for the rack and pinion arms, get it back and give it to him to weld the mounts on, before replacing his k-frame with the one out of my car. Chequebook builds get complicated sometimes.
                Tell me about chequebook builds. So if it's a new design K Frame please tell me why you wouldn't start with a modern rack like the awsome and affordable FD rack? I'm maybe missing something..
                I knew it. That orange bastard is controlling the weather with HAARP just to save his Mar-a-Lago property where he intends to host his handler, Vladimir Putin, at next years G7 which will be morphed back into the G8.

Comment

Nangkang is/was connected to Yokohama, pretty reasonable tyre for the money. At least they were 17 years ago when I had some on my 121, I'm more wary of Maxxis to be honest.

Comment

It's not a new design k-frame. The two easily available and decent options are Elko and Pentastar, who both use versions of the old Keith Clewes design. They apparently have a jig each and use it to weld the new arms on to an old k-frame. This only accepts a Commodore rack. Redesigning it probably wouldn't be that hard, but I'm not the right person to reinvent the wheel!

There are tubular front ends available now, at about $4-5k. Fuck that!

New (old) k-frame arrived yesterday, goes in the post on Wednesday. Can see the upcoming issues with the mid sump clearing the rack, hopefully it's not too much of an issue.

Comment

A mate of mine ran 10.8 @ 128mph a couple of weeks ago on $120 nankang 255's.
                      So how bad can they be?

Comment

Yep, I think Scott has me convinced. It's a weird set of circumstances where the usual available options are so old fashioned and hard that even the cheapest modern tyres that fit seem to be better.

No idea why no-one makes a 245/255 wide 15 inch in a high performance tread pattern, lack of market I suppose!

Do you have any experience with these new hemis yet, TK? I've made the mistake at looking at stroker assemblies. This plan will go out the window the first time I hit the throttle and realise the car has about three times as much power as it should.

Pic of the tidied up new k-frame for me to pretend I'm actually making progress. Mounts cut off, some extra seam welding for strength. It'll go in the car at the metalwork guru's shop, I'm sure he won't be able to resist making it prettier.

Comment

Finally some proper progress pictures, though the panelbeater doing the priming isn't as good a photographer.

Only a few weeks left and it will be ready for final paint and reassembly.

Front left quarter looking good:

As does the engine bay.

The engine side of Andrew's (the ute above) mounts have also arrived. Almost too good to paint/coat.

The k-frame is on its way to Pentastar for the rack and pinion conversion, so the next big question is whether to use Andrew's k-member mounts as below:

He's happy to modify them and weld them for the rack and pinion but position is the key issue. Because it's now mid sump I somehow have to fit the sump between the k-frame and commodore rack. I can move the engine about 12mm forward from his position by simply moving the spacer in the mounts, hoping that's enough.

His is flush up against the firewall, but he's using a Falcon steering box, I think this is too far back with the rack and pinion.

The only build I've seen with his mounts and the rack and pinion has moved them forwards 15mm. I'm hoping 12mm will be enough, though might have to space it upwards a little bit. Either way the shiny new sump will need to be modified. Damn it.

Hoping it's worth it to avoid having the build extractors like this.

Comment

😀😀😀😀😀

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                              Yum! I want that but in a VC wayfarer.
                              I'll sell you one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                                Finally some proper progress pictures, though the panelbeater doing the priming isn't as good a photographer.

Only a few weeks left and it will be ready for final paint and reassembly.

Front left quarter looking good:

As does the engine bay.

The engine side of Andrew's (the ute above) mounts have also arrived. Almost too good to paint/coat.

The k-frame is on its way to Pentastar for the rack and pinion conversion, so the next big question is whether to use Andrew's k-member mounts as below:

He's happy to modify them and weld them for the rack and pinion but position is the key issue. Because it's now mid sump I somehow have to fit the sump between the k-frame and commodore rack. I can move the engine about 12mm forward from his position by simply moving the spacer in the mounts, hoping that's enough.

His is flush up against the firewall, but he's using a Falcon steering box, I think this is too far back with the rack and pinion.

The only build I've seen with his mounts and the rack and pinion has moved them forwards 15mm. I'm hoping 12mm will be enough, though might have to space it upwards a little bit. Either way the shiny new sump will need to be modified. Damn it.

Hoping it's worth it to avoid having the build extractors like this.

I'd make my own mounts on the K-frame side. Cherry pick from the Andrews to assist by all means but it always seems to be that by the time the "no mods needed" kit is actually spot-on, it would be easier to do yourself.
                                I just went through this with a VC/360 combo and the Tuff-Mounts kit. Close, but not perfect. We wanted perfect and had to mod it to get it.

I'm also of the opinion that the K-frame side of those Andrews are unnecessarily bulky, wasting precious space.

Comment

Working...
                                X