1979 Valiant CM Regal 'Survivor' Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calais, Statesman and Caprice had speed sensitive power steering, it varied the amount of assistance according to road speed. The racks require the specific pump as well, and iirc the ecu to run the stuff.
    Personally I hate the Holden system, and that's not taking into account it's lack of reliability.

Comment

Some updates - finally getting moving on this thing again!

Andrew has been quick with his turnarounds on the k-frame, so I have all the parts needed to get to the next stage after almost a year of delays.

I now own the prototype Keith Clews/G3 hemi mounts k-frame. It's at this stage you look at the thing and wonder if it might have almost been easier to fabricate one from scratch but it turned out pretty well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	6609691

I've been brave and elected to have the whole thing welded up, which is obviously a risk. The spacers in the mounts enable 10mm forward back and 10mm up/down so it will hopefully be ok.

Test fitted the sump, which I know will need to be notched for the rack, and there seems to be plenty of clearance.

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	6609692

The other main issue will be at the front left where the A/C compressor is pretty close to the k-frame, fingers crossed.

Just need to run the parts up to Tim now. I've accepted there needs to be a new trans tunnel for the A-518 so that'll be the next major delay! Tim likes fabricating stuff from scratch though, he'll probably be done in a week.

Andrew was kind enough to take me on a test drive with him in his 6.1 CL ute. Someone a few pages back described this project as 'killdeathy' and I didn't really appreciate it until after that.

He's running a stock 6.1 but more aggressive torque converter (4700rpm) and a manualised 904. The thing is biblical, it's done an 11.5 quarter and the 1-2nd gear change under throttle makes me feel this is all worthwhile. #inspired.

Comment

Yay, progress......

I wish I could say the same for my cars.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Not a great deal of progress here - finally managed to run the parts up to Tim and discuss the tunnel mods.

He thinks there's only a couple of weeks left in it when he manages to get started, whenever that is! Really just needs the underside wire wheeled and stoneguarded again - plus he's going to remove the mounts and holes for the old steering setup and fix a couple of dents we managed to put on the chassis rails in the desert.

I got a bit too excited and took advantage of the 15% off PPQ custom plates offered on the Cars and Coffee Website. Spent way too much money getting the original plates reissued - felt bad sacrificing them for rego six years ago! Fortunately I had this picture so I actually knew what they were:

Full sleeper spec now. Also have a reprinted dealer sticker for the Cleveland Valiant dealership for the rear window.

Comment

Makes me happy
            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski:
            I knew it. That orange bastard is controlling the weather with HAARP just to save his Mar-a-Lago property where he intends to host his handler, Vladimir Putin, at next years G7 which will be morphed back into the G8.

Comment

Always make me happy seeing progress on this beast. Even if small ammounts.
              Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Hopefully the next update will show a big hole cut in the tunnel and some shiny powdercoated and rebushed suspension. Just can't guarantee when that will be!

ETA to skids 2018. Maybe.

Comment

Yep, way to much money for reissue plates. My first set for my Fairlane I had, PZG302 were only $50, the plates for my Charger, PXL265, were $100, now its a $495 minimum for anything for restro or reissue.

But well worth the dollars to finish off the car.

Comment

First actual progress pic for some months. Things are moving slowly, though hope to have it in paint by summer.

Typical OCD fabricated floor panels to go in - looks like it gives some indication of the width of the transmission tunnel as well!

Name:	IMG_2210.jpeg
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	6611004

Knowing Tim, the moment he gets it up on the hoist it'll be done in a week. Whenever that is.

Comment

Yay, progress......
                      Any progress is nice.

Also smart not to say which summer the car will be in paint [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

When asked, I just say the Chugger will be ready on Friday, just don't know which Friday yet.....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

I seem to recall promising it would be in paint by Christmas. Last Christmas.

Anyway. Baby steps.

The driver's side floor is done and it was meant to go back on the hoist a fortnight ago for the passenger side and trans tunnel.

Name:	IMG_0675.JPG
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	6611414

Name:	IMG_0676.JPG
Size:	710.4 KB
ID:	6611413

Then the hoist broke with a '55 Chev on it. Fortunately it was fixed last week so I hope to see some progress (and the Chev is alright).

In a way all these delays are good because I've done a few things differently (and better) because I felt I had to make some progress. It probably wouldn't have overdrive, rack and pinion, AC and Wilwoods if the bodywork ran on time. If there are further delays it'll probably end up with a 9 inch and a 440 stroker though.

Comment

With his quality work it's not so bad having to wait as you know you won't be disappointed.

Besides that it gives you more time to save & buy more car parts haha
                          an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

It's all good, he's good and cheap!

The main problem is having too many project cars, I have to save that money and spend it on this one rather than the other two.

Comment

Pity he is so far away then he'd have a damaged lc gtr to repair...

Tell him the torana forum miss his updates.

440 stroker sounds good..can you go any bigger? lol
                              an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Yes, but not much!

http://www.shophemi.com/p-1025-arrin...te-engine.aspx

This is all talk. I'll put in the stock 6.1 and immediately go 'holy shit'. It should do 11's as is and I drive like an old lady.

Comment

Working...
                                X