1979 Valiant CM Regal 'Survivor' Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Valiants are spiritually brown, but this one deserves to be actually brown.

Comment

Rarely saw one that wasn't that gold/brown colour as a kid.

Sometimes would see blue...any other colours assumed was probably left-over house paint haha
      an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

This is pretty much the original spec.

https://www.australianmusclecarsales...-regal-3l.html

I'm not sure that's the way to go now! I particularly loved that weird flat muddy green they used.

Comment

The stamping of the VIN really sums up the quality assembly of the Australian auto industry of the era doesn’t it.
          ---
          Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Funny, most CMs I recall seeing back in the day were orange/baby vomit brown.
            White is good when the cops are looking for a white sedan, 99% of people wouldn't know what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
              The stamping of the VIN really sums up the quality assembly of the Australian auto industry of the era doesn’t it.
              and yet 40 years later its still going. And looking like it will do another 40

Comment

I have a 70’s Cleveland Chrysler sticker for the window as well as a ‘Darling Downs Farm Fest 1979’ one.

White is good for sleepers!

Comment

Well holy shit! what an absolutely awesome story, Keen for more updates, White has to be the colour, keeps it the "same" car then...

Comment

Cheers, thanks. My wife also thinks it wouldn't be 'Val' without being white.

Hope to have a good run of updates soon - the suspension is being powdercoated and there should be a big hole in the trans tunnel shortly, all going well.

Comment

Brown cars can look shit, but when you see an old car with a coat of period correct fresh brown metallic paint I think they look great.

Can't go wrong with white though, and this is hardly going to be an all-original spec car anyhow

Comment

Originally posted by uuheels View Post
                        Brown cars can look shit, but when you see an old car with a coat of period correct fresh brown metallic paint I think they look great.

Can't go wrong with white though, and this is hardly going to be an all-original spec car anyhow
                        Contrary to popular belief, you can wear brown to town.

Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                          I particularly loved that weird flat muddy green they used.
                          It's called Sherwood Green.

Colours choose their cars. I couldn't have bought my 300 in anything but Deep Cherry Red metallic. The rest don't look right.

Comment

That is indeed weird, but this is the one I was thinking of:

My grandfather had one just like that, I remember a couple of sweltering trips to the coast while stuck to its vinyl back seat.

I am a bit worried the white will look a bit weird without a stripe, though I suppose I can always get a vinyl one stuck on.

vs.

Comment

They had a few different greens:

The only interesting/cool car my parents ever owned when I was growing up was the spitting image of that^ one; have had a soft spot for Valiants ever since.

No trim/strips looks better of the two cars pictured above IMNSHO (probably helped by the fact it's nearly scraping along the ground!) - seems to accentuate the panel curves nicely compared to the strip interrupting the curve.

This is definitely my favourite thread on here BTW.

Comment

I love that green above, there was someone selling a Charger on here that was that colour and I was seriously considering using it.

Cheers, thanks. I've just got word that the angle grinder is coming out today for the trans tunnel so should hopefully have some decent updates shortly!

Comment

Working...
                                X