1979 Valiant CM Regal 'Survivor' Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anything, I would go with just the thin protection strip down the side to break up the bulk of the car.

No vynal stripes, they were for VH and earlier as a pacer, or a CM fronted drifter.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

That dark green is one of my fav Valiant colours too, its called Deep Charteuse.

Comment

What colour was the car from factory?
        Originally posted by ALLMTR
        the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Comment

white with the strip

Comment

It was actually BERG 6006 - which is the caramel metallic.

But it spent so long as white with the strip that it should be white with the strip.

Are you keen to get up nice and intimate with this thing again and make me a wiring harness for the Haltech Tim? Bet you thought you'd seen the last of it in Cairns about 6 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
              It was actually BERG 6006 - which is the caramel metallic.

But it spent so long as white with the strip that it should be white with the strip.

Are you keen to get up nice and intimate with this thing again and make me a wiring harness for the Haltech Tim? Bet you thought you'd seen the last of it in Cairns about 6 years ago.
              Would love to help mate

Comment

Excellent, I'll be in touch! The car that PF built...

In other news the tunnel stuff is happening a lot faster than I expected. Turns out it's not a 'cut the whole tunnel out and start again' proposition after all.

The underbody has all been wire brushed and the worst of the crap removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7663.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	856.0 KB
ID:	6612456

Nothing fancy going on down there - just the standard stoneguard because it's not a show car and I'm not planning on parking on any mirrors.

Testing clearance on the new gearbox.

Name:	IMG_7655.jpeg
Size:	562.9 KB
ID:	6612457

It's a lengthy bugger with the overdrive on the back of it.

Name:	IMG_7659.jpeg
Size:	817.8 KB
ID:	6612458

And the before and after shots of the front of the tunnel being widened. The bellhousing on the A-518 is actually identical to the 727, but because the engine is being centred the tunnel had to go wider. Plus no-one ever complains of too much room in the trans tunnel.

Name:	IMG_7678.JPG
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	6612459

The torsion bar crossmember will be the main other issue - he's just going to cut it out and replace it with 10mm flat bar which should leave loads of room (hopefully).

Comment

Gauges have arrived. Went with the domed glass faces for a bit extra and they look excellent but are impossible to photograph.

Name:	IMG_0961.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	6612488

Will most likely be fitted recessed in the original dash. The auto electrician I'm using can make up a moulded carbon fibre fascia to suit, and I'm tempted to do that but have it hydrographic printed in a fake burlwood. Because that would be hilarious.

Comment

Nah, hilarious would be peeling fake wood showing the carbon weave.
                    I think hydrographic printing would be cheaper though, the 3M dinoc, the stuff the OEMs used for fake wood, is rather pricey.

Comment

I think I've hit that tipping point where you have months of no progress and then everything happens at once.

This explains a few squeaks and rattles from the front end at least. And supports my plan to replace everything on the car because it's all likely to be rooted.

Name:	IMG_1287.JPG
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	6612525

And after. The control arms and k-frame are being powdercoated though.

Name:	IMG_1288.JPG
Size:	587.5 KB
ID:	6612526

I'm fairly sure ball joints aren't meant to look like that.

Name:	IMG_1846.JPG
Size:	952.0 KB
ID:	6612527

Comment

And back to the tunnel. Loads of clearance at the front.

Name:	IMG_1847.JPG
Size:	537.3 KB
ID:	6612528

And the before and after at the back.

Name:	IMG_1848.JPG
Size:	695.3 KB
ID:	6612529

Still needs a little off, the inboard holes will go but I'll need a custom mount anyway.

Name:	IMG_1292.JPG
Size:	683.2 KB
ID:	6612530

The bodywork will be apparently finished and underside stone guarded next week. When the suspension gets back from the powdercoaters and back in time for paint!

Comment

Nice progress!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                            Gauges have arrived. Went with the domed glass faces for a bit extra and they look excellent but are impossible to photograph.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104354[/ATTACH]

Will most likely be fitted recessed in the original dash. The auto electrician I'm using can make up a moulded carbon fibre fascia to suit, and I'm tempted to do that but have it hydrographic printed in a fake burlwood. Because that would be hilarious.
                            Gauages look the goods
                            Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Cheers, I don't mind them!

Breakneck progress now - trans tunnel is done. Nice and wide now:

Name:	IMG_1875.JPG
Size:	764.9 KB
ID:	6612541

Loads of room for the A-518 and potentially a 727/Gear Vendors if I somehow kill that.

From above, minimal widening, same depth:

Name:	IMG_1874.JPG
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	6612542

So should be loads of room for three across the front still!

Wire brush to the rear before and after. Surprisingly straight back here.

Name:	IMG_1877.JPG
Size:	865.1 KB
ID:	6612543

So after three and a bit years, new parts should start going back on the car for the first time shortly.

Comment

Hope the rear suspension is coming out for some love as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X