1979 Valiant CM Regal 'Survivor' Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guido has it in one. While a velour interior would be hilarious and comfortable for a few years I hope to be still driving this in 30 years.

Singer Porsche is a good thought! Their interiors use decent quality and creative materials while still looking a bit out there.

This might sound weird too, but one of the parts of driving this car was always the smell as you opened the door. I知 hoping to replace the organic and slightly disreputable odour of leaky plenums rotting carpet with the organic and slightly disreputable odour of aging leather.

Comment

Originally posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
      Purple Velour for Mr Purple?

Keep this in the car for special occasions

Well, at least confirm you will be wearing this when you drive the Val....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
        Guido has it in one. While a velour interior would be hilarious and comfortable for a few years I hope to be still driving this in 30 years.

Singer Porsche is a good thought! Their interiors use decent quality and creative materials while still looking a bit out there.

This might sound weird too, but one of the parts of driving this car was always the smell as you opened the door. I知 hoping to replace the organic and slightly disreputable odour of leaky plenums rotting carpet with the organic and slightly disreputable odour of aging leather.
        Very valid point, even the best quality velour isn't going to last as long as leather, and the price difference is relatively small. Iirc the difference between retrimming nopics' VK in velour compared to leather, full colour change, was only a few hundred dollars 10 years ago. It was still going to be around $5000, would have been a bloody good job though.
        There's a couple of guys on a FB group I'm on who are looking at getting their Cadillacs retrimed due to age, they're velour trim cars. The correct style cloth is NLA and nothing similar is available. The only guys who don't have issues are those with the formal limos since Cadillac used the same style cloth since the 1960s. At least with leather it's more the style of stitch and padding that changes over the years.
        Or you could forget about taste and look at this stuff:https://www.yourautotrim.com/exprvi.html

Comment

I has the Ostrich Leather on my seats and door trims. You do notice the "goosebumps" when wearing a thin shirt but it doesn't bother me too much.

I'm put off by those metal buttons or rings. Wouln't they hurt after an hour in the seat?

Comment

I live in Queensland, there's no way there's going to be metal rings on the seat - it was more for an example of the colours I was after!

Though whoever suggested looking at Singer Designs has complicated the issue. I think I've chosen a new colour scheme:

Probably with some tweed for texture instead of the woven leather (I hate to think how much that costs) but I'm loving the caramel. Has the added bonus I can use a black wheel as well which are a lot easier to find than brown.

Comment

Yes yes yes, who cares about the colour of the leather you are going to use.

You still haven't confirmed the purchase of the purple velour suit yet. Please to the needy and revert.

Comment

I promise there will be purple velour worn in this car at some stage.

I'm also planning on a flannelette shirt and mullet wig to pick up my daughter from her fancy girls school in it. Complete with Cold Chisel on the stereo.

Comment

Don't forget the pack of Winnies on the dash.

Comment

Reds or blues????

Comment

Reds. Blues are for metrosexuals.

I sort of want the rear armrest to have a minibar containing two crystal glasses and five different miniature bottles of Bundy Rum.

Comment

Spent half the day running around arranging stuff for this today. Stopped by the upholsterer to choose some colours, they're keen on the bar in the rear armrest idea too!

Tweed is happening, just deciding on seat colour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2452.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	985.2 KB
ID:	6614811

I'm sort of leaning toward the suede here which will keep the velour fans happy...

Name:	IMG_2454.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	6614812

Anyway, probably enough of interior design, more skids progress.

Had to pick up the load of crap which came with the car at the Panelbeater, including the A-518 which broke three of us getting it into the Mini.

Tank showed up, not as bad as I expected but so shallow and awkwardly shaped it might be hard to modify for EFI.

Name:	IMG_2461.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	6614813

Probably the best option is to delete the spare wheel well and use a more conventionally shaped tank, but I'll clean this one up a bit in the meantime and have the neck and straps powdercoated.

Corey is hoping to start it next week, he does the paint for a few cars in a race series and two of his crashed into each other last weekend...

Comment

Tank shouldnt be too hard if you arent adding boost.

Drill a couple of holes in a low central point and sump it. Or failing that, hyrdamat, and returnless fuel system with a corvette filter.
                          Originally posted by Rdyno
                          70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                          Originally posted by Tripper
                          Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

You池e probably right and I知 overthinking it.

I was half after an excuse to get something shiny made up while I have it, but think I値l just spend a fraction of that cleaning it up instead.

No boost unfortunately, damn NCOP! 426 is a nice number though. Not that I知 likely to stroke it, should be killdeathy enough as it is.

Comment

fill it with tank foam, put a really good pot in it and a pair of denso pumps.
                              Originally posted by ALLMTR
                              the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Comment

Still waiting on colour for this, unfortunately - they were hoping to get started this week. I've had to stop by there a few times and there's always a few cars finished and waiting for pickup, so I think once they actually get started it'll be pretty quick.

After experience with this car I can guarantee this is the last Australian car I'm ever going to do. Simply because I'm sick of dealing with Australian suppliers.

I am still waiting on a steering coupling from Pentastar, ordered and paid for on the 15th of October, 2016. And Pentastar have been the best of the suppliers - my dealings with Elko had me considering a credit card chargeback for the first time in my life. They basically just drop ship everything from the US and charge you double what you will including postage directly. There's nothing worse than paying a premium for a product to have it arrive in Rockauto packaging a year later.

All of this pales in comparison to what I'm going through with the trim restoration. Fortunately I had the bumpers chromed via Pentastar so they were done in a year at least.

The guy who currently has my grille, light surrounds, door handles and mirrors is one of those guys that gives everyone in the industry a bad name.

If anyone else is considering using Paul and Shine Bright Trims at Ipswich, don't. These are his reviews, unfortunately mainly added since dropping the parts off:

https://www.productreview.com.au/p/s...ght-trims.html

I dropped off the parts on the 14th of October, 2016. He quoted six months and $1900 in total on the 12th of November, 2016. The last I heard a reply from the guy was the 27th of June, 2017. He refuses to answer messages, texts or his phone (and I'm not talking a cycle of harassment here, I'm talking messages 3 messages, a text and a phone call over the last year) and I still don't have any idea on a firm date for completion. I don't think he's stolen them or anything (only because I know they're essentially worthless) but am becoming increasingly suspicious they're sitting in a corner of his workshop entirely untouched.

I'm half expecting I'll never actually see those trim pieces again - the way this guy runs a business he's going to inevitably end up murdered by bikies. So basically I just bought the entire missing trim in pieces from Ebay, and will hand polish it myself. Fortunately an entire trim set for a CM Valiant is still only a few hundred dollars, and given I'm keeping this car forever it's probably not a bad idea to have a spare anyway.

The annoying thing is you can actually buy repro stuff for Valiants, just not the whole set. So you can get the front door handles new, but not the rears. And weirdly a repro left sided front indicator lens, but not the right (yes, they're different, I've checked). Anyway, I have two new rules. Never restore an Australian car, and never deal with any business in Ipswich (I'm having similar problems with a gearbox rebuild on the MR2, though not to the same extent).

On the positive side - almost every other small business or one man operation I have dealt with has been faster and more professional than the so-called experts. Props to Bob Grant Automatics, SCP Upholstery, J's Customs and Restorations, and Andrew Dunnett.

Anyway, enough bitching. Next update will include pictures of paint.

Comment

Working...
                                X