1979 Valiant CM Regal 'Survivor' Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good update dude! +1 for the garage envy.

Funny hearing you mention the randomness of fitment for old cars as Al mentioned similar in that it feels like it should go together better but thatís just how shit was back then.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

In a few cases it's like they weren't even trying.

The boot latch is a good example - the panelbeater called me last week thinking it was from the wrong car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4213.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	679.2 KB
ID:	6617107

Nope, they just used something which really wasn't designed to fit at all. It's like the earlier models used a two bolt one, which was no longer available so they just bodged a fix.

Other times it feels like they're just punishing you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4214.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	518.1 KB
ID:	6617108

No dash in or out with the windscreen in. And given the Vintageair and Haltech need to fit under the dash somewhere, and you can't put the windscreen in without the headlining in, It's not going to be weathertight until last.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
        On the positive side the whole thing was designed to be assembled in a factory in Adelaide by a drunk guy called Barry. One Phillips head, two different sized sockets and about three different gauges of bolts plus some self tappers hold the whole car together. Even though Iím no mechanic Iím fairly sure Iím doing a better job than the factory did.

Might be easier to have a few VB first!
        @ Bolded Bit - that's either desperate measures for desperate times, or you have a different idea of 'easier' than I do.

Great to see some movement on this. Been following since you posted the shitbox rally stuff.
        Cheers, Richard

MX83 Cressida Grande - 1JZ-GTE Twin Turbo JZX81 Motor, Fr Suspension in, tailshaft made & installed, bigger fuel pump in, zorst, wiring, fmic done (thanks jzk25) BA rotors R33 Calipers Now REGISTERED going well
        '92 & '94 TF Holden Rodeo 2.8 TurboDiesel 4WDs - Daily Driver regular breaker/backup ute
        MS85 Crown Super Sedan - Farm Car - Running 3rd 4M - Future project
        '66 Jaguar E-Type 4.2 Manual Coupe
        '66 Jaguar S-Type 3.8 Auto Sedan
        - Long Term Jobs

Comment

Well VB is probably the closest thing to West End Draught that can be procured in Brisbane.....

For full authenticity the VB should really be swapped for West End, and I pity anyone who has to do that.....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Swapping vb for west end is the true measure of authenticity, and how hardcore you are going to be.

Comment

I was thinking I should have put West End Draught rather than VB after I wrote that post. I'm not sure I can be that authentic.

Fairly unproductive first weekend I have to admit. Have a bucket of random bolts to run down to the bolt shop on Friday but imagine I'm going to need a few of them plated anyway, there's a few obscure ones in there. CP Plating look like they do powdercoating as well, so I've got a few other bits like the brake lever and handbrake to get done.

Inside is currently all in primer so I'm thinking of going with my interior guy's suggestion and getting this done through him while there's nothing else in there:

https://www.carbuilders.com.au/lizar...-sound-control

Comment

Great to see its home mate!!

Comment

Definitely put in the sound deadener gear while it's easy to do now! And Car Builders gear is the shiz.
                  Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Annoyingly, the engine and gearbox would just bolt straight in if I didn't go rack and pinion. New trans mount and the need to modify the new sump now.
                    You wont regret the rack when you drive it, best mod you can do to an old car to improve the driving feel.
                    Originally posted by ALLMTR
                    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Comment

My local bolt shop will hate me, weird mix of metric and imperial.
                      Deshon street? They're used to it.
                      Also, Car hole too clean and tidy, sif you actually do anything in there.

I'll admit - it doesn't look so capacious from the outside!
                      "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Was going to try Boltmasters at Morningside - they're open Saturday morning.

The garage was designed to hold an AW11, Mini Panelvan and daily (<4.5m) longitudinally - it's 14.5m long. Only problem is pretty much the only two things I can replace the Mini with are a Fiat 500 or Lotus 7. As if that's a problem.

You're right - the two hours I spent working on the Valiant on Friday was already the longest I've actually spent doing any car work in there! Luckily it's mainly a matter just bolting stuff together.

Comment

the ebay bolt kits are also worthwhile for a good variety. Any bolt is better than the one you don't have.

Comment

I was having a look through some of those. Fortunately there's only a few of the bigger ones which I may struggle with - so my plan was to run down to the bolt shop with the bucket and then drop it off to CP plating after I'd sourced as much as I could.

Need to get the bonnet catch and door handle surrounds zinc plated anyway, so I figured I'd throw in every other bolt I could find for the same price. Not much high tensile stuff, fortunately.

The worst part is the new paint is so much thicker than the old paint that nothing fits without 'persuasion'. And that's the last thing you want to do to your umpteen million dollar paintjob...

Comment

Might be good to chase some threads with a tap and die before too much gets attached.

Comment

Good call. Fortunately there's a few things on the car at the moment I can actually do while remaining mechanically incompetent.

Comment

Working...
                                X