1979 Valiant CM Regal 'Survivor' Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Tim! No hurry, my garage is nice and roomy again at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
      Thanks Tim! No hurry, my garage is nice and roomy again at the moment.
      You need to fill that garage with a brown wagon from a few doors down.....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Some weird beard at my car club annual show, you are not alone. [emoji1787]

Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

There’s two of us!

Fuck it would be uncomfortable on those wheels...

Comment

No real progress to report on this - Tim is in the US so I can say the delay is due to drag week which is sort of cool!

Thanks to Joe for letting me know about the Australian G3 Hemi conversion group, it's proved useful in providing a bit of the info I'm missing. Turns out the mounts I'm using will enable me to retain all the ancillaries in the usual position which is great news, might have to relocate the oil cooler only. Rather annoyingly a brand new crate 6.4 is about $7700 now, damn it.

Have bought a decent rivnut kit which will let me sort out a few of the things that need to be attached to the underside when it gets back.

Also having a long hard thought about whether I should actually put a cam, pushrods and new retainers in this time around. Looks like it'll be about $1100 + labour and add something like 50-60hp. It'd be nice to say I have over 400hp ATW but I'm not sure I actually need it just yet, or whether I should just save for a complete upgrade of the engine a few years down the track. It'll probably come down to whether the heads need to come off anyway - if I'm going to do it I might as well do head gaskets, ARP fasteners and inspect the bores at the same time.

Comment

Or just buy the 6.4 crate motor.....

You know you want to.....

Comment

Meh. Having a 6.1 is cool I reckon. Less of them around. Every cunt has a 6.4 now, and it's not like you can make use of the vvt anyway. I would seriously consider the cam option man, just for the sound and the bit of extra mumbo. It's going to have plenty of power for you for a while then. At that point you can consider a blower anyway so your existing upgrades won't be a waste.

Comment

Yep, no regrets going the 6.1. It is a little frustrating that I can now buy a new 6.4 crate for the same price as my 30,000km 6.1 wrecker motor, but then again I did get all the ancillaries and gearbox for that price.

From what I'm hearing modifying the 6.1 is a hell of a lot easier anyway, and your output when modified won't differ all that much between the two.

You're probably right, $1100 for the cam and valvetrain is only about the same price as the headunit and it will make a better sound!

Comment

It's pretty silly really. The first thing you would do with the 6.4 is get rid of the mds, lock or limit the vvt and put a 6.1 intake manifold on it ;p. All to gain another 300cc's. Save your money for a procharger

Comment

Tim's back from Drag Week so cool stuff is happening, thanks!

Battery is all bolted up. Funky well insulated terminal that will also contain a direct feed to the doof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryp75eR.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	820.6 KB
ID:	7075166

And some cardboard aided design for the new isolator switch at the rear of the boot. Looks cool.

Name:	5wHEDzB.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	901.1 KB
ID:	7075167

But most excited about the new fuse/relay box and updated Electronic Lean Burn module under the dash!

Name:	m2Aeqw8.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	831.6 KB
ID:	7075168

Seriously, half tempted to put an 'ELB' sticker on it. Anyway, great to have some progress thanks Tim!

Comment

Only if you have the little light still on the front guard to tell you as a pre warning of any danger to the manifold......

Battery install looks good, but disappointed no old growth forest or endangered animals were harmed in the mounting of said battery

Comment

Where did you acquire that isolator switch.....? It is nice. I might need one.

Comment

this is the cut out switch. Its just a 2 pole switch. I'm going to just cut the battery negative. Mainly to be used when the car is in long storage or a welder is being used. Its not intended for some kind of Motorsport lockout/shutdown.

https://www.swe-check.com.au/product...-on-off-switch

Comment

Nice! That is tidy man. I have a switch on my ground already but its pretty shitty looking. Use mine for security as its inside the boot (same as this). Might grab one. CHUR!

Comment

Been reading this thread for the last few days and really enjoyed it! Much better love story than twilight Bit sad the pictures around the middle of the thread are all broken but I got the gist. Looking forward to updates!

Comment

Working...
                                X