• Show
Clear All

• no13b_Coupe
    replied
    Mad!

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    So issue with 5E blocks and 4E accessories - 5E block is 10mm or so taller than the 4E. One of the issues I came across was the 4E PS bracket no longer lines up to the lower tension bracket. A bit of fiddling and -

It basically is a copy of the standard 4E PS bracket, but I've added length down the bottom and put the slot in so it will have enough length for a bolt to go through into the lower bracket. Still can be used with a 4E block too if needed*.

Finished the oil drain. Unfortunately couldn't use the GCG oil drain adapter kit, put the hose way too low and would probably give oil drainage issues. Instead bought some 5/8" stainless tube, cut a 45' into it, flipped & welded. Turbo core is on a slight angle, so that 45' ended up pointing to the fitting on the sump -

Getting fairly close to the pointy end. Should be able to strip everything off it for ceramic / powder coating. Then need to fit it all back up, stick the loom back on the motor + fluids etc. Tuner / engine builder is going to drop by when I fire it up to fettle with the tune so I can drive it up to his shop.
    Run in will be all done on the dyno, then give it all the boosts. Will wait to do the E85 tune when I get back from Dubbo, bit of a cunt doing the whole E85 thing out there and TBH shouldn't need it for the class I'm in*.

Leave a comment:

• dnegative
    replied
    Clamp the v-band to the housing tight AF when you weld it FYI

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Boss welded on -

The pumps new home -

Trick with these is to sit them at the lowest point in the system so they actually work. Only really designed to push coolant so to speak, I mean they do still kinda work if you sit them higher but not really ideal.

Engine bay is getting busy. There is no rubber in that rear water line, NFI if it will end up somehow fatiguing and leaking but I've got some spare push lock fittings & hose just in case. Was more of a "I wonder if this will work" kinda thing, car only has to do 2000km or so (run in + out to Dubbo & back for Nationals) so should be ok? lol. Rest of the lines are joined up with rubber so there will be plenty of flex and no issues.

Water lines are all finished, just waiting on a tool to show up so I can put a bead onto them.

Made up the oil feed line today. Just your standard -4 teflon hose nothing flash. Greddy sandwich plate works a treat!

Needed to sort something for the wastegate. It's all the standard internal shit, but because I've clocked the turbo none of the old brackets line up. The flap operates on a 30 degree angle relative to the compressor housing.
    After a bit of pondering I decided I CBF making a bracket, luckily Mamba have *most probably* knocked off somebody's design so bought one -

Just mounts up to the back of the compressor housing.
    While the credit card was out I also grabbed one of their T25 5 bolt > V band flange adapters. I put a bit of a warp into the dump flange and I'm not 100% confident I can save it so this is the back up plan. Worst case I'll save it for another project / customer.

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Started making a new radiator shroud. Old one worked fine but was a bit on the thick side and I need all the room I can get at the moment. This one has a depth of 17mm, had to put a little taper on the bottom to clear the outlet.

Once that was done, turned up a boss on the lathe. Drilled the wrong size hole for the tap so broke out the helicoil kit lol. Little boss is where the water pump will bolt to. It comes with a big rubber mount so will be protected from vibration etc etc. Maybe only shit thing is it only has one mount hole but it will have to do (shebberoite).

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    If you were going to add capacity it would be an ice tank so you can take more heat out of the system but probably more for drag cars or short stints.

Leave a comment:

• dnegative
    replied
    Full is full, you dont really need capacity or for that matter, a whole heap of dead weight with the capacity of the heat exchanger (coolant and btu wise)

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Had a bit of a play around this arvo. Really needed a filler neck so I can actually fill & bleed this system. You can cheat by using a T-piece and some hose to fill and bleed (then cap it off) but it doesn't look that great unless you can hide it all away. Have done it in a pinch before but yeh I'm in no pinch

Made this up, it's only 50mm x 50mm x 60mm so not designed as a reservoir or for more capacity. Just so I have a point to fill & bleed from. Again had a bunch of AN fittings laying around so incorporated them.

That boss I welded on earlier to the intercooler will be the pickup point. Just need to make and weld on a bracket to the little filler to mount it up. I'm building another shroud for the radiator, will have a mounting boss on it for the electric water pump to sit. Once that's done I can plumb it all up.

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Righto, time to make turbo water lines.

On the old configuration, the outlets were both facing the grill so that was a matter of routing the hose past the front of the radiator, then looped it back to the thermostat housing. On the GT2554R, the feed/return are on different sides.
    Had some weld on AN8 fittings laying around and a heap of 1/2" tube. Used the lathe to drill a 12mm recession into the back of the fitting for the tube to sit into:

First line was simple, just 1x 45ish degree bend. The other end will be joined by rubber hose & some heat sleeve so it doesn't melt.

Second line, not so simple as it had a whole bunch of bends. Amazingly made it in one go....

Up next is the W2A water lines. Just waiting for a customer to build me a filler neck so I can make a start on it.

Probably the next cunty job is plumbing back the BOV and finding somewhere for it to live!

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Welded the mounts onto the intercooler -

Had to trim the rubbers down a little so I could fit a nut underneath. Fits in there fairly well, although I do need to take a section out of one of the tanks so it clears properly (tank corner rubs on the lower rad support). Also welded some AN10 fittings onto the intercooler -

Will add the bottom mounts on last. Will need to weld some nuts onto the lower rad support, the brackets need to be removable or the heat exchanger can't be taken in and out

Fired up the most dangerous tool I have, the lathe.

Make up a little threaded boss for the intercooler. I'll use this to mount up the filler neck for the intercooler system. I was going to mount it elsewhere but I'm short of space (above the intercooler anyway as it needs to be at the highest point). This way it keeps piping to a minimum. Also added AN10 fittings onto the intercooler.

Tried to re-use the old 4E oil filter system but can't adapt it. Dneg gave me a Greddy oil filter / oil cooler adapter but as this doesn't have an oil cooler I would have to loop the inlet/outlet and I don't have space for that currently. Had a look around on the net, 99% of adapters out there are the copy/paste china variety. Wanted something half decent so bought a Greddy one instead -

Fits in the space I have, has enough 1/8" NPT ports for oil feed, pressure & temp. Plenty of room for an oil filter too between the block and turbo so happy days!

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Intake completo!

Actually I still need to plumb the BOV back into it, but will do that last cos I need to add all the other crap in the bay first before deciding where it will live. Should* have enough room for a plumb back. Also need to stick a little brace onto the intake pipe so it doesn't rattle around in the hole it comes up through.

If you CBF/can't get away with a silicone expander, you can take your tube to an exhaust shop and have them ream it out to the size you need (within reason). Got that tube flared out to 3". It does reduce the wall thickness so I wouldn't want to have to weld onto it but it's only for the pod filter to bolt to so yeh.....

Made up these little fuckers today. Going to be welded onto the heat exchanger for the upper mounts. Will make something similar for the bottom in mild steel and just weld them onto the lower radiator support.

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    I/C piping finito!

Started on the intake. Not enough room to run a 2.5" past the power steering pump so went under and through the guard. Have a flared 2.5">3.0" piece of alloy tube to use to bring me up large enough to match the pod filter. For the intake pipe I just used a 180 degree mandrel bend, loped off a section and flipped it to give me the angle I wanted. Have thoroughly had enough of pie cuts for one week :D

Only sorta/kinda issue is the drain. It looks like I have heaps of angle in the photos but it's probably only a 30-40cm elevation from sump fitting to bottom of the turbo core. I think I'll need to cut the pipe I have and stick a 45-60 degree angle on it so the oil has the best chance of actually draining.

Got 3x weeks left until the tuner takes it, still a heap of shit to finish so we'll see how I get on Still gotta swap the 'big' brake setup over.

Leave a comment:

• trdee
    replied
    keen to see what the intake temps are like with this setup, will be interesting either way

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Originally posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    Can you hit that top mount with matte black. It's functional but hurting my ocd
    I will get it powdercoated black just for you :D

Kept going with this today. Rummaged through my crap and found a spare T25 outlet pipe. Had a hole drilled in it for a boost reference nipple, was going to weld er up until I took a look inside the pipe. The end of it was cast really badly, chunks were missing out of the inside!
    Not wanting to risk it, I cut the bad section off and re-made it. Put a bit of an angle on it to give me more clearance for the wastegate actuator rod;

Yeh it runs close to the exhaust manifold and exhaust housing but it's pre-intercooler so should be fine (everything is getting a ceramic coating anyways). I've made up the other pieces to join it all, just ran out of argon and CBF changing the bottle over so will finish it tomorrow.

Starting to come along quite nicely -

The great thing is, if I ever need to re-shell it I won't have to re-mount the intercooler etc. It can bolt straight into a EP82/EP91, all the important bits are now mounted to the motor.

Also got a customer of mine making me up an inline filler neck. I normally stock them but got cleaned out, I think I'll mount it directly onto the intercooler to keep things simple.

Leave a comment:

• XtaC
    replied
    Looks pretty good to me!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X