• Show
Clear All

• dnegative
    replied
    See, I'm not the only one

Leave a comment:

• I'm DJ!
    replied
    Can you hit that top mount with matte black. It's functional but hurting my ocd

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied

Cracked out the bead roller for the intercooler piping.

Welded the intercooler piping straight onto the intercooler. Not ideal but space was a concern so has to be done this way.

All mounted up. Will eventually have everything powdercoated / ceramic coated.

Leave a comment:

• dnegative
    replied
    The more I look at it the more I think your better off grinding off that top mount completely and having it fully supported from the bottom, it just looks out of place.

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Next pipe on the to-do list, gotta bolt the turbo back on so I know where to route it. Need to buy one of those 2.5" > 2.0" reducers so the piping matches up to the turbo outlet.

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dnegative
    replied
    Functionality over form I guess

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Had another go on the Bramley bender. Works pretty well on 3/4" alloy tube!

Just need to use some alloy bar as a spacer, mount is 15-20mm or so off the intercooler but that will be easy.

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Slowly plugging away. I guess this the tedious part...measuring...thinking...re-thinking....cutting....re-cutting....welding....

Anyway got some sort of a bottom mount for the intercooler happening. It's not the nicest looking thing I've made but fuck it, will never be seen once it's all done.

Used the trusty plasma table to cut that little bracket. Added a slot onto it in case I need to move the intercooler around a bit to get the best location.

That's where the intercooler will roughly end up. Looks wrong but the outlet is on the right angle to meet up to the throttle body. Need to do a funky bend on the inlet but nothing to hard. Have one more mount to make, it's the one off the back of the head. It's role will be to add some more stability to the intercooler.

I think* it will be fine, once I add the intercooler piping etc. If it's a bit floppy I'll add another mount from the bottom. I should have all the intercooler piping done by the weekend including the intake. Then I can turn attention to mounting the heat exchanger, pump & water lines.

I've bought one of those Bramley tube benders (can mount it on your vice which is handy), so will give that a good workout. Plan is to make all my turbo water lines & intercooler water lines in alloy tube with some hose to join them at each end. In builds gone by I would just run rubber hose but I want to give this a go so we will see how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• dnegative
    replied
    lol
    I have studs that are M10/M8 in my toolbox

And I never measured any shims with your shit, I'll give you a pair.

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Shit verniers aside.

Rubber bushes have a stainless insert, to take a M8 bolt. Unfortunately all the pickup points I want to use on the engine & gearbox are M10. I can't drill the insert out because it's very thin. So instead I made up some studs by cutting and welding M8 & M10 bolts together.

If you do this you just have to be very mindful of the zinc coating. I used the linisher to clean it off around the weld area but I did smell some burning at one point and fled the room to avoid death.

Made three of them, 2x for the gearbox and one for the back of the head:

This is where I'm to currently. Not sure if it is the best way to mount this intercooler but I'll finish it and evaluate from there.

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Originally posted by dnegative View Post
    Fuck me, throw those verniers in the bin
    Have you seen the good ones I have? Last I saw you were using them to measure Cheb's shims? I can't find them.............

Leave a comment:

• Bob Vegana.
    replied
    Lol yeah, they're out by roughly 3mm.

Leave a comment:

• dnegative
    replied
    Fuck me, throw those verniers in the bin

Leave a comment:

Working...
X