X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foamy
    replied

Borrowed old mate up the roads die grinder, carbide bits etc etc. He splurged on good carbide and I didn't want to spend 1hr using my shit ones to get the same result. Gave the inside of the dump a good clean out. Manifold needed 1x runner ported to match up with the pipe. Turns out the CAD file for the flange was out by about 3mm on one runner but nothing I couldn't fix.

So that's all that shit done. To move on from here I needed to mount up the intercooler. Had a few ideas on where to mount it, ended up deciding to mount it nearby to the dizzy. Came up with a way to mount it in place. This is where I'm at so far:

Have some rubber bushes at work, basically used to isolate radiators. Excellent idea because it drastically reduces the vibration the radiator will receive. Being an alloy intercooler, if I solid mount it then there is a good chance the alloy will fatigue over time and end up filling the motor with coolant :D
    ID of the bush was 18mm. Crushed the end of some round bar down flat, and cut a 17mm odd slot followed by a 18mm hole for the bush to sit inside.

The idea is to make up 3-4 of these, have two (triangulated) coming from the gearbox, and then the other two coming from the motor to meet up to the intercooler in pairs. I will use some solid round bar for them to meet up to, drill a hole through it and a bolt can hold the intercooler in place on each side. Will make more sense when I finish it and post pics.

Hoping to knock all this fab work out in the next 2-3 weeks!

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Will be good to see yours out at Dubbo.

I really should of used the MIG to tack weld the flange on, one of the welds broke so there is a slight warp in the flange. Old mate exhaust shops large linisher should be able to buff that out though!

Mounted up for a test fit. Unfortunately my expensive Tomei dump doesn't fit. But that's ok, I knew I had a spare flange around here somewhere so 6 beers, some exhaust tube & a flange later:

Needs a bit of finishing but it's 90% there. Just gotta grind that piece out of the inside. I think I need to use the MIG more often, definitely need the practice

Leave a comment:

• the buttonman
    replied
    back at the end of march.
    also similar boat, but im trying to just mine running and driving before I go next week...

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied

Runners are finally finished. I'll give them a good clean with acetone then weld em up. Except for one, I should be able to weld them on the manifold but it might just be easier to remove them for welding, then weld them back onto the collector/flange. I've got some box section laying around somewhere to tack weld the flange onto before I weld the runners to it.

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied

Getting there!

When do you get back? I'm trying to get it done before April 22nd for Toyota Nationals. It will probably spend a few days at the tuner, then I need to run the thing in so kinda need to finish everything late March.

Leave a comment:

• the buttonman
    replied
    so will this be done by the time I get back from Japan?

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    One runner all tacked up. Did a bit of a test fit just to make sure I was on track for it to all work.

2nd runner done now. Trying to do one a day after work.

Leave a comment:

• dnegative
    replied
    Not needed, you could drive over that and the t won't break

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied

Started manifolding last night. It's a easy peasy one to build. Probably the only fiddly bit is just getting everything to fit up snug. I.e 5mins working out which bends to use. 30mins on the flap wheel / linisher cutting them down a little so they fit up well. Plus a little bit of time putting the bevels into the straight pipe I was cutting. Hoping to have it finished later on this week. Still a shit load more fab to do....intake pipe, dump pipe, intercooler piping, mounting the heat exchanger, intercooler & water pump, plumbing the W2A system, plumbing the turbo coolant and oil lines blah blah blah.

Maybe another 50 hours in this? :D

Edit: Anyone got any suggestions as to whether the manifold will need a brace? Turbo sits quite a way out from the flange, I know it's steam pipe etc etc but the part of my brain that likes overkill says to wack a brace onto it.

Leave a comment:

• dnegative
    replied
    Big block stroker power

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    Back from holiday = back to the Starlet.

Settled on a turbo location. Really wanted high mount but it's just not feasible. Rad support sits really close to the motor compared to an EP91. Also I would of had to delete P/S or turned the turbo 180 and that presented a whole host of other issues.
    Outlet pipe will run around the back of the turbo, then cut past the radiator under the top hose and up to the W2A intercooler. Probably not ideal but everything will be ceramic coated and wrapped so shouldn't affect intake temps too much (plus it's pre-intercooler....).

Bent up some round bar and welded it to either side of the merge collector so it can be fabricated off the car. I'll have to make a custom bracket for the wastegate actuator because of the way the compressor housing is clocked.

Also need to make a new P/S bracket. Block height is taller than the 4E so the stock bracket comes up short. Nothing too tricky. I feel like once this manifold is finished then the rest will come together pretty quickly.

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied

Motor is back in. Dam I love how simple these things are to work on. The Toyota 3E-TE flywheel bolted up perfectly to the 5E crank & 212mm clutch (thank fuck).

Going to run a W2A intercooler. This one seemed to sit nicely, is good for 350hp so should cover my needs. Will need to make up some funky mounts for it but nothing too hard.

Turbo will sit roughly here. Enough room to make the manifold so no problem there either. Will most likely weld some braces off the merge and just make it on a bench instead of on the car to keep things simple.
    Outlet will run under the rad support then cut across to the intercooler. Just gotta work out if I can run the internal gate or need an external one instead.

Going away for 3 weeks so will get boogying on this when I return!

Leave a comment:

• I'm DJ!
    replied
    Awesome. Love this thing.

Leave a comment:

• no13b_Coupe
    replied
    Should go good. 160+kw fwd should be entertaining lol

Leave a comment:

• foamy
    replied
    So....now that the 1UZ Rodeo is finished (for now :D), attention has turned back to the Starlet.

Finally got the motor back from the engine builder. Specs are:

-5EFE bottom end.
    - Spool rods.
    - Arias 74.5mm pistons.
    - MLS head gasket.
    - Standard head & cams.
    - ARP head studs.
    - 3ETE flywheel (matches the 5E crank, & allows you to use a 212mm clutch instead of the shit 200mm ones).
    - 9:1 comp ratio.

All new seals, timing belt, new oil pump etc etc.

*ignore the crumpled oil filter, was just put there to seal the motor up*

Ended up buying a GT2554r (factory CA18 turbo). It's ball bearing so should spool quickly on a 1.5. Should make 150-160fwkw on 98, and another 10-20kw on E85. 16-18psi should do the trick. I've got a Tomei dump pipe left over from a previous build so might end up using it. Just deciding if I go for a low or high mount arrangement. High mount would be ideal, no need to fuck around with intake piping too much (the EP71 has a tiny engine bay compared to a EP91). Going to run a W2A intercooler we sell here @ work, so piping will be minimal too.

Also need to make up a manifold. Commotion made me a sweet as merge collector :D Bought a whole bunch of SH40 steam pipe. ID on the flange is 29mm, ID on the pipe is 35mm but I don't think it will matter too much. Will be interesting to see how my first turbo manifold turns out.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X