No announcement yet.

Another PF Kent Buys a GTR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it's plumbed up properly either (if at all). I can only see one turbo actuator line and it goes straight to the intake to the turbo.

Comment

Finding out what the last owner did half arsed is one of the pleasures of owning a gtr it seems.

Comment

Nice one. I still really want one. Thinking about selling my lightning to do it.
        Originally posted by S
        I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Comment

Haha yep they're getting old & fixing shit previous owners do is half the battle.

Looks tidy,remember looking at them 10 years back with a mate wasn't easy trying to find immaculate one mostly bad crash repairs/rusty or dodgey mechanical.
          an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Yeah, it's all part of the fun. I still haven't figured out what turbos they are exactly. I might try jacking the car up and seeing what numbers I can see from the underside. I noticed today that is has some pretty nice split dump pipes. The separated pipes are quite long.

Comment

I spent a bit of time on the aircon today. There is a little motor down the clutch pedal that actuates the internal flaps. I removed this and actuated the flaps manually. I could actuate the motor by hooking power up to it, so I think it might be the climate control unit itself that is faulty. I'll run the self tests soon.

Comment

Looks good in silver, nice pick up. There is something about a R32 GTR.

Comment

Good stuff....love these!

Comment

Niiiiiiice gaaaaaarrrryyyyy
                    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

I finally found an hour or so to jack the car up and get underneath it. I'm still not 100% on the turbos. I managed to work out the following markings by squeezing my smartphone up there and taking photos.

Turbine housing: .64 AR 696-2 markings

Compressor housing: AR 60 M24 marking

Google says these could be R34 N1 turbos or GT2530s or possible GT-SSs. I need to do more Googling, but in any case, they should be ideal. I'm not 100% sure if they are sleeve bearing or ball bearing. Anyone know of any way to tell? I couldn't find the plate with the model number. It's probably under the heat shield.

The split dump pipes are quite nice and long. You can see they join quite far down the front pipes. I couldn't figure out what brand they are.

I also removed the cover of the dodgy looking airbox. Apexi pod filters

I managed to trace out the waste gate actuator piping. From what I can tell, the two waste gates have been joined together and then tee off to the normally open port of the boost solenoid. The other side of the solenoid tees into the line on the carbon canister, which then runs across the front of the engine to the underside of the plenum. Should work I guess..

I also noticed a couple of maintenance items: torn CV boots on driver's side front, a slight oil leak from the rear of gearbox or transfer case. Possible small oil leak from engine, but could just be years of grime. The whole lot needs a good degrease. The leak from the gearbox is of a bit of concern. I could smell a slight gearbox oil smell on the drive home.

Comment

More Googling says they could also be R33 N1 turbos. Oh well...

Comment

The only way to say what turbos they are for sure is to get the Garrett part no. off the I'd tag, should be near the oil supply line on the core. Google will then need able to tell you everything you need to know.

Comment

n1 Turbo's if you making 300kw and it's coming on after 4K

Dumps are greedy which and $$$

Nice car minor leaks just help them not rust
                            Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Comment

This is nice as well done bud...
                              Originally posted by thebluerx7
                              The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Went to cars and coffee a couple of weeks back and caught up with Damo. Good to see some 80s/90s Jap silver cars were represented.

I took the kids and my 2 year old boy decided to pull the trim off the back!! God damn it! It had already come unglued in a corner. Can anyone recommend a good upholstery glue?

In other news, I had a good mess around with the A/C last night. Figured out that the relay is actually dead. I bypassed it with a piece of wire and low and behold, it was cold!!! Friggin stoked with that. Thankfully Broadtune lives down the road and has spare relays

I was expecting a 4 figure repair bill for sure. I also fixed the mode selector motor because it was always blowing the windscreen. I removed it and wired it up to my bench top power supply and it moved. It has a sort of "comb and sweeper" arrangement so it knows what position the arm is in. It looked to me like it may have gone to an unknown position, so I moved the arm until it shorted one of the "comb legs" and plugged it back in. It works!! Happy days I ran through the A/C diagnostic mode and no fault codes came up!

Comment

Working...
                                X