Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guido
    replied
    Damn that looks good! Nothing better than a tidy undercarriage.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    OK, as D-Z said, pics not loading... Let's do something about this and update you guys on progress for the past week. I've been in the garage working til past 10pm most nights. Jason Broadhurst said the deadline of 31st of May for the PF cruise. It's a very tight goal, but it's good to have a deadline otherwise it'll sit her for months.

She looks mint!

First up, the steering wheel got removed and sent to a mob in SA who repair leather. They claim they can fix the wheel without having to retrim it. They do heaps of Skyline wheels. Let's see how it turns out...

This steering wheel has annoyed me for years. Time to get it fixed.

Next was time to tackle this damn heat shield and get the last of the "dirty work" out of the way. The studs snapped on this thing and it had a few rust holes. I decided to weld it with the stick welder and just blew holes straight through it (it's 0.6mm). I managed to repair it, but it still looked a bit shit, so I gave it another crack with the TIG this time. Same story again, more holes. Then I got this shits and did a shout out for a second hand one. None showed up, so I gave it another crack with the TIG. Made it worse and then called Brad (Garvice) to fix it. He took one look at it and asked to rebuild half of it.

The welding abortion...

Brad showing me how it's done. Thanks for turning this around so quickly Brad!

Next up, I finished the cable brackets and ATTESSA pump on the diff.

I even remade the earth straps. They were gone.

Next up, fuel lines and brake lines. These took a few nights of messing around to get them in the right spot and to also remember where the brackets went. I didn't take enough pics, so I spent a lot of time Googling, looking at the manual etc.

Finally, on Thursday night Tai came around and helped me with the diff. Turns out the ATTESSA pump had to come off to get it up into the cradle. Soooo happy with how it's turned out. It really looks fantastic. Working on this car is a dream now.

So that's pretty much where it's at now. I think I'm just about ready to put the fuel tank back in. Then I need to put the Brembos back together, swap the master cylinder, prime all the fluids and start her up. Getting there. Not sure when I'll get the steering wheel back. Damn Aus Post took a week to get it to SA!

Leave a comment:

• Datto-Zed
    replied
    Photos of subframe and diff installed not loading. :D

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Drilled and retapped one, rivnut on the other one

Leave a comment:

• garvice
    replied
    So drilled and retapped or rivnuts?

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    I managed to spend most of the day in the garage. Didn’t make as much progress as I hoped though. I tackled the fuel and brake lines. I remade these in like November last year. I forgot I had snapped several bolts removing the old lines, so had to spend a fair bit of time drilling out snapped bolts. Grrr. Pretty much any M5 bolt was guaranteed to snap on this thing. On the plus side, it looks so good and clean on the underside

Leave a comment:

• piss98
    replied
    Crikey, that'd make a eunuch blow a load! Looking awesome man, surely chucking a Friday sickie is in order to finish it and go driving!

Leave a comment:

• garvice
    replied
    Very nice!

Leave a comment:

• bahaimus
    replied
    That looks fucking gorgeous!

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Originally posted by Baron Von Furrypants View Post
    lol. I was digging through this thread and thought this was appropriate to quote at this stage. Hahaha

Leave a comment:

• mizone
    replied
    Phooaaarrr nice work !

Leave a comment:

• PXL265
    replied
    Looking very nice there.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    And finally... this happened!

Finally she's back home! It looks amazing!! I'm pretty sure that original budget was blown, they found a few extra issues along the way, but do it right and do it once. I'm very happy. A massive shout out to Dean and the team at Bridgen's Restorations and Robbie Goddard from For the Drivers who has sourced most of my parts and recommended Dean. Dean got in Robbier's preferred detailers on Saturday. They said the paint was perfect. One of the best they have seen.

OK, so what's next:
    • Finish the ATTESSA pump and bolt it to the diff
    • Drop the subframe and fit the diff, driveshafts, etc
    • Fit fuel lines, brake lines, etc
    • Rebuild the Brembo calipers and fit them.
    • Bleed all the various fluids and get it on the road
    Happy days!

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Time for an update... A couple of weeks ago, I thought "the car's coming home soon, I'd better give the exhaust a bit of a polish".

I soon discovered that the exhaust was in worse condition than I realised. The back of the rear muffler was pushed in and there were cracks near the front muffler. Someone has had this thing slammed (bro) in its past.

I dragged out the TIG and then spent bloody ages fixing it. My TIG welding skills are not fantastic.

I then hit it with a wire wheeled angle grinder wheel. I've been picking bits of wire out of my feet (and the kids) ever since. After a coat of paint.

Next on the radar was the ATTESSA pump. Pretty happy with how this turned out.

Leave a comment:

• darwinschops
    replied
    I thought you were (one of) the guys that had the GT40.

Fucking awesome collection and you attention to detail on this build is to be admire. Great work dude.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X