X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Ree
    replied
    This just keeps on getting better.

Cant wait to see how she looks once reassembled and back from the paint shop.

Gorgeous

Leave a comment:

• fury
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy View Post
    The next job was the brake calipers. I picked these up a few months back. They're factory R34 GTR Brembos. I wanted to get them powder-coated before fitment. So I spent a few nights stripping them down.

Pro-tip I learned off the internet: using compressed air to push out the pistons makes life so much easier

So what colour am I going with? This was a tough choice. I rocked up at the powdercoaters with my mind set on gold. Then had a chat to a few people and my wife and subsequently decided to go with black. The reason being is that the R32 V-spec came out with these same calipers in black. I'm not going for a showy car here. I don't want it to stand out. I just want it to look respectable. The powdercoater was quite disappointed when I went back and told him to paint it black instead of gold. He thought I was mad.
    Did you replace all the piston seals? they are like $70 or something cheap. Should do it while they are apart.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Originally posted by clutch-monkey View Post

that is not bad really
    might need to hit them up for the 911
    I should mention, that doesn’t include the rust repair that Brad did or parts (seals, etc). I’ve still spent way too much on this thing! I’m wondering if I’ll see it home this side of Easter. I’m not going to rush them. It’s best they take their time.

Leave a comment:

• clutch-monkey
    replied

From a decent resto shop.. $10-15k
    that is not bad really
    might need to hit them up for the 911

Leave a comment:

• itsnotagsr
    replied

Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Originally posted by timtx5 View Post
    Why didn't you just spend all that wasted money on a crazy engine build instead?
    haha. Would love to, but needed to get the rust under control.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Out of interest, what does a repaint like that cost, ball park?

Leave a comment:

• timtx5
    replied
    Why didn't you just spend all that wasted money on a crazy engine build instead?

Leave a comment:

• garvice
    replied
    Looking great Simon

Leave a comment:

• itsnotagsr
    replied
    Out of interest, what does a repaint like that cost, ball park?

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    The next job was the brake calipers. I picked these up a few months back. They're factory R34 GTR Brembos. I wanted to get them powder-coated before fitment. So I spent a few nights stripping them down.

Pro-tip I learned off the internet: using compressed air to push out the pistons makes life so much easier

I masked them up, but knew it wouldn't hold. The main purpose was just to show the guys where not to sandblast.

So what colour am I going with? This was a tough choice. I rocked up at the powdercoaters with my mind set on gold. Then had a chat to a few people and my wife and subsequently decided to go with black. The reason being is that the R32 V-spec came out with these same calipers in black. I'm not going for a showy car here. I don't want it to stand out. I just want it to look respectable. The powdercoater was quite disappointed when I went back and told him to paint it black instead of gold. He thought I was mad.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    In the mean time, I've been pretty tied up with work and have been a bit lazy with car work. Having said that, I managed to get back into the garage last week and get the diff ready for reassembly. I've opted to use a diff shop to rebuild it since it's having new Nismo clutch plates and I don't have much time. Plus, given the crisis, I wanted to support the local economy.

The only thing holding me back from dropping it off weeks ago was the drive shaft flanges. I had these powdercoated, but later discovered that any contact surfaces should not be coated as it will soften and compress over time causing bolts to loosen. So I needed a way to strip back the paint around the bolts (and still look respectable). Scratching around the garage late at night, I stumbled across this idea...

Take one M10 nut and a spare bolt. Notice the bolt has a rough stepped face on it. I think it's used for dynabolts.

Then with the aid of the impact wrench I was able to strip the paint around each bolt without it looking terrible

And the back side was tripped with a flapper wheel on a battery drill.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    And then she was in the booth on Monday. It looks amazing! I am blown away.

Too think this wheel arch was riddled with rust..

Very happy (and broke) man right here. Hopefully the rest of the parts will get painted this week, so next week is reassembly time at the resto shop before it comes home to me. Will give me something to do during lock-down. That's for sure

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    A week later (weekend just gone), I visited again and they'd spent the week sanding and prepping for paint. Looking good.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Time for an update...

I dropped by the restoration shop a few weeks back and was happy to see they were getting stuck into it. The body is primed, all parts removed and most of them primed. They discovered a few more rust spots here and there that they've fixed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X