X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for your loss.

Looking forward to more updates/skids.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Subscribed
      Originally posted by lickmyleftone
      I'd do things to her that Tripper hasn't seen.
      As seen on Tinder : "If a Vegan does Crossfit, which one do they mention to you first?"

Comment

great job on the build!
        i'm a repressed subaru tragic and harbor strong thoughts about going down the turbo road again. this thread is not helping!

Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
        Insulated firewall (carbuilders stuff, would bang again),
        fuck yes. that shit is awesome. used on the firewall of my bmw 2002 project.
        '71 BMW 2002 - restoration
        '14 Colorado 4x4 dual cab - reliability

Originally posted by Marv
        my cuts look like they're done by Michael J Fox using a grinder on the end of a pool noodle
        :rotflol:

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the carbuilders firewall,I will get some for the mini. Great build thread, sorry to hear the reason for it.
          "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

Had to leave this project untouched for 11 months because various life shit.

Finally back at it, I really need it driving before summer so diving back in...

Most importantly, all the engine bits have been test fitted in the engine hole. Looks like a car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180507_113731.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	6614968

The "green brackets of death" are one of the worst thing about general maintenance on this generation of EJs IMO, so those got fucked off long ago. That leaves the coolant top tank without a bottom mount, so bunnings spec agricultural engineering with alum bar to the rescue. There are a few minor crimes like this in the engine bay, but none that I feel affect safety or reliability.

Name:	IMG_20180116_150140.jpg
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	6614969

Walbro 460 installed, and dedicated 10awg + and - feed to the pump and pump controller, bypassing 3 sets of small connectors that are undersized for the 460's max current draw.

Name:	IMG_20180115_193124.jpg
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	6614963

When I moved this thing out of the dirt shed, I'd just widened front track to GD sedan/STi width, but didn't have matching driveshafts yet. Unfortunately the house was sold, the car had to go on a flatbed that day. The wagon driveshafts aren't long enough to even get the nut to touch the thread with all sti suspension parts, so I ended up ruining two newly installed front bearings :knock:

Name:	IMG_20180321_143809.jpg
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	6614965

I needed to get final once and for all "perfect" fitment of the GD dash so I could see exactly what would be out of place when putting the GD dash + column + rack into an SF chassis.

Name:	IMG_20180315_134936.jpg
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	6614964

Came out good. GD steering knuckle was 25mm too long, so I took an STI one (solid, no rubber dampener in the middle) to a local engineer and had him cut and shut it 25mm shorter. Dude did a great job and gave me heaps of good advice about the build in general.

I'm only tackling problems that are standing in the way of turning it over, but I did briefly assess what level of pain and suffering I can expect putting SF connectors on all the end points of the GG body loom. Nothing crazy, will just be lopping off the connectors for impreza rear lights and replacing with forester items.

Name:	IMG_20180306_110012.jpg
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	6614966

Got the rear end finished enough for startup. STI laterals, suspension, handbrake junk reassembled, ABS sensors etc etc. The forester now has its wheels 12mm further out at each corner. Lots of work and fucking around to get all the bits, but it's all good now.

Name:	IMG_20180520_104339.jpg
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	6614967

My pile of 5spd parts included a lightened flywheel of unknown origin, so I got a local bloke to machine it. Not perfect, but $50 all in works for me.

Name:	IMG_20180525_094443.jpg
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	6614970

I was waiting on some parts, and needed to go to Knox anyway so I called into knox auto carpets and got a new GC carpet for this thing along with non-disgusting underlay

Name:	IMG_20180524_144249.jpg
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	6614971

Name:	IMG_20180526_123823.jpg
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	6614972

Went against my "only solve problems preventing first start", but gave me a bit of an enthusiasm boost to keep plugging away at this thing in sub zero temperatures late at night.
            Will hopefully make plenty more progress this week unless life insists otherwise.

Comment

jesus dont use that fkywheel. its a timebomb. the machining on the centre is perfect for creating stress fractures.
              Originally posted by Marv
              Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

not just a time bomb, but a nazi time bomb.
                Originally posted by Skompa
                The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

Comment

I did nazi that coming!
                  Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

Argh balls. I've got 3 OEM ones, will get one of those machined up... Maybe somewhere else. Old mate was surprised that it's steel, he expected iron.

Comment

10a isnít enough.

10awg is enough

Comment

Typo by me, it's 10awg. Thanks for the safety check Tim!

Comment

Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
                          Typo by me, it's 10awg. Thanks for the safety check Tim!
                          All good I have seen some pretty toasty wire and dumb problems due to undersized wire.

Comment

good thread man, glad the supergramps vids were a help. that was a while ago now! I love new dash's in older model cars.

Comment

Good job!

Comment

I'd not seen this until now - great thread.
                                Originally posted by brasher
                                TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Working...
                                X