X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doctor ed
    replied
    long time reader, first time poster. kudos for getting the thing running!

Leave a comment:

• andy_wk
    replied
    Ah sweet! Gotta love the odd occasion where it's the simple fix that works.

Leave a comment:

• bahaimus
    replied
    Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
    We have a winner! One of the far-too-many hose clamps in the system was loose enough to let air in, which was leading to all the other crap. It finally feels reliable enough for the 5 hours driving from central VIC to Southern Tas.
    That's a cheap win then! Good luck with the trip.

Leave a comment:

• aerobrick
    replied
    Originally posted by andy_wk View Post
    If fluid can get out, air can get in - Check all fittings/connections for tightness/leaks.
    We have a winner! One of the far-too-many hose clamps in the system was loose enough to let air in, which was leading to all the other crap. It finally feels reliable enough for the 5 hours driving from central VIC to Southern Tas.

Leave a comment:

• aerobrick
    replied
    Nah, original forester pump is too different, has res-on-pump, different shape hardlines, fouls GD WRX intake pipe and more. I'm not averse to pulling the pump apart again to inspect, but that'll be next autumn/winter as I have a house to build once this thing gets to Tas. Thanks for spitballing the problem with me though, I appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• briney
    replied
    yeah furry muff. do you have a spare pump laying around?

Leave a comment:

• aerobrick
    replied
    It's an option, but the 2.2 turn "quick rack" is a bit tough in tight suburban corners with 8" wheels and no pS pump. I tried that briefly today. The UVP from today also covers tomorrow, I'm going to work on the PS problem a bit more in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• briney
    replied
    i think the fluid deal is grabbing at straws. to get your trip done, can you leave the p/s belt off and just deal with it until you get it home? or does it drive other stuff too?

Leave a comment:

• andy_wk
    replied
    If fluid can get out, air can get in - Check all fittings/connections for tightness/leaks.

Otherwise I've had decent success with ignoring the noise and continuing to drive until it stops frothing and quietens down [/old Commodore owner].

I used a synthetic Dex 3 last time I flushed the fluid but I don't think there was any difference positive or negative.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• aerobrick
    replied
    Quite possibly. The first thing I did years ago was rebuild the pump with new seals everywhere. Considering taking the fluid cooler out of the system and fill it up manually. Talked to a local mechanic who works with track cars, he suggested ditching the Dex 3 ATF for a synthetic as he expects the atf froths too easily.

Leave a comment:

• briney
    replied
    is it possible the pump is fucked, or something blocking the suction hose? to aerate that bad anyway.

Leave a comment:

• aerobrick
    replied

Made it to wheel alignment joint, but I need to do something about the steering system airlock. I did 30 turns lock to lock on stands yesterday and there's still air in there, it frothed over on the drive. Seems none of the local mechanics have vacuum bleeding equipment. Any suggestions for getting air out?

Leave a comment:

• aerobrick
    replied
    Had some drama with an ABS pump I ruined, but that's sorted and now all the undercarriage stuff is complete so it could come off the stands and drive for the first time since Xmas 2014. I stalled it immediately, of course, but it starts strong every time and loudly sings the song of its uneven-header-boxer people. It got a wash after this photo and completed 1km of private test track without incident. PS pump is whiney, I think the system is full of air.

I'll get it in for an alignment this week, then wire up lights and wipers and drive it from central Victoria to our place at the arse end of Tasmania.

Cracks me up how small this 90s suv is. Shorter and more narrow than a first gen i30. Makes our Passat feel like a whale.

Leave a comment:

• no13b_Coupe
    replied
    Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• jimmyg
    replied
    Top news. I might have to get mine going again now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X