Lightyear's Track MX5 back up car.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a true sorry, but it will sound made up.

I was driving along on my to pick up the car, and a truck hits my trailer because he didn't see it. He just kept on changing lanes even tho I had my hand on the horn. I had nowhere to go, so the tyre gets ripped on the side wall, the guard and lights, etc get smashed along with the rim.

About an hour later, a woman drives out of a driveway straight into the other side. It's bent the arm that holds the wheel, so now it has aggressive camber. Another smashed guard, lights, etc. It ripped the plastics and stuff off the front of her car. I don't get how she couldn't see my bright wagon, or the car on the trailer. It is Broadmeadows area, and she looks like a fairly new import. She won't give me her insurance details, so now I am left to get a solicitor I suppose.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

Fuck that doesn't sound good. All fixable I hope?
      Originally posted by Rdyno
      I say we ban Rdyno... oh wait.

Comment

bit confused - are you talking of the damage to the trailer or your car on the trailer??

Comment

You have her licence and car rego number???

If so just go through your insurance. It should cover your trailer as well as car.

Obviously do the same if you don't have the truck driver's insurance details.

You will probably have to put two claims in if you have to go through your insurer.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

After a second chat to the guy that made the trailer, it turns out I just need a new stub axle. Plus 2 wheels and tyres, guards, etc. I rang insurance and police, they said it's a civil matter and as the trailer didn't have its own insurance it's up to me to try and get the money.

Comment

That's shit.

My policies cover trailers I tow.
              The Shannon's policies I have for most of my cars cover trailers being towed and the policy I have for the work ute with QBE also covers trailers. Both of them for the damage a trailer may cause and also for damage to the trailer, albeit only up to about $1000 or so from memory.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

I also have up to $1000 per claim on the trailer.

Comment

$200 a year for full insurance on my car trailer. Excess is $400 for at fault or theft. Insured for $3000. Seemed like a good deal.
                  I have stuff...

Comment

It turned out the trailer is slightly bent around the swing arm locating point. And seeing as the trailer can not be repaired locally, and it is not financially worth while getting it repaired by the manufacturer in QLD. It was deemed a total loss.
                    So after 6 or 7 calls to her insurance (about an hour per call), jumping through hoops, and being asked to provide extra info after each call, they finally payed out the trailer. Took me a few weeks, but a good result in the end.

Now back onto the car. I hate that this car was just left down the back of the garage, so lately I decided to spend some time on it. Just half an hour here and there between other jobs. But it's enough to get it done eventually.
                    Seeing as it is no longer a street car, more of a registered track/race car, the whole hvac system is gone along with the P/S bits. I reconnected all the wiring so that it would run, but it wouldn't start. The Beavis came around to help, and after a while we found it was just the rear loom was not plugged in, so no power to the fuel pump. It now starts and runs fine, as it should. It only has extractors on it at the moment, so it's a bit loud. Braided brake lines are all done, just need good pads and bleed it with good fluid.
                    I will bring it down to my mechanic (Lux Racing) and he will put the cage in it. So hopefully will be done in the next few weeks.

Comment

I trimmed as much weight from behind the dash as possible. Started tidying up the wiring too, just getting things done while its waiting for a cage, will still be a while away. I might just get it ready to drive as is without the cage for now. It's not like MX5's roll over very often.

Comment

Light is good for cheap track car. Any ideas on how much weight you have taken out? Will be cheap fun.

Comment

No idea how much weight has been taken out, but at a guess the car should weigh under 950kg. I went down and bought the exhaust bits today, and after dinner I went out and did some chopping and glueing of metal tubes. It's amazing how little goes into it. I bought 1m of straight tube, one 90 degree bend (was enough to do 2 bends and have left over for the exhaust tip), muffler, hotdog, flange and flex joint. All 2.25" and cost $250 in total.
                          Here is a pic next to the 3" I made a year or so ago that is going on the black car soon.

The car would only need a set of wheel now to be driveable. But I want to buy some Hawk blue pads, bleed the brakes with some dot 4 fluid, get a steering wheel and quick release. And a fastback of course...

Comment

The exhaust is welded up, and bolted on. It's a little raspy sounding.

Comment

I have a cage in it now. It should be ready to use by the end of the year. I hope..

Comment

Good progress after the cage delays/stuff around.

Great to read it all coming together, not far off driveable.

Comment

Working...
                                X