Supercharged UZZ31 - Because being responsible is boring

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's pretty oldschool, uses hyperterminal etc lol: http://www.latentsolutions.com/suprastickuv.html

A friend of mine recently set up a shift computer using a microsquirt, apparently they are much more flexible, modern interface etc: https://www.diyautotune.com/
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

Mint, thanks for the info, that's helpful!
      Norbie!

Comment

yeah so this took a back seat for a while. death in the family, racing the adub etc etc. getting back into it again now

new brushes for the alternator and terminal lugs for the starter

valve stem seals out and heads washed

next step is cleaning the valves and machining the heads i think, taking pointers from a mate here as ive never done a head reco myself before

Comment

note on ARP stud fitting without hacking the stud up... http://www.lextreme.com/forums/index...d-studs.15954/
          Originally posted by ALLMTR
          the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Comment

heh the ARP studs in the bhg engine had already been hacked up

Comment

Originally posted by trdee View Post
              heh the ARP studs in the bhg engine had already been hacked up
              did not happen to blow between the middle cyls?
              the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Comment

mechanic said leakdown test showed coolant leaking into cylinder 6. thats all he said

Comment

mechanic said leakdown test showed coolant leaking into cylinder 6. thats all he said
                  so that is a maybe... a lot of ARP stud installs I have seen are shit, no way you will get a reliable torque figure if the nut is not fully engaged on the stud by at least 1.5 threads or no or thin washer.

Comment

i will take care to make sure i get that shit right when it goes back together then!

Comment

Originally posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
                      so that is a maybe... a lot of ARP stud installs I have seen are shit, no way you will get a reliable torque figure if the nut is not fully engaged on the stud by at least 1.5 threads or no or thin washer.
                      The only issues I've heard of are where the hardened steel washer gets pressed into the aluminum head and you lose tension that way

Comment

So a few updates - got the heads over to Ducky's and I set about cleaning the valves whilst he gave the heads a once over. He also measured the lift on the cams and after comparing to the kelford catalogue, confirmed they were 207-SC "supercharger" cams

Once that was sorted, went back to the shop and turned my 1UZ into a Gallo 12

Foamy kindly supplied his torque wrench for the head studs (probably more accurate than my Aldi wrench lol)

The head studs under the scissor gears were already cut down, but one of them had a small lip on it which means the gears would hit. They must have sat in a slightly different orientation earlier. Ground a little more off it and then it was good. There was still full engagement on the studs TRD-MX62

Genuine toyota gasket goo for the cam covers, sump and other seals

Started assembling the engine, discovered that with the kelford cams being 9.5mm lift meant that the engine was now interference - better not screw up that belt! Time for engine assembly montage

Timing belt was a right cunt to do

Comment

Chen's tiny azn hands came in handy when i dropped a box cutter under the fkn inlet manifold - what a shit design

Engine loom montage - fuck this loom, WHY DO THERE HAVE TO BE SO MANY WIRES??

Crank angle sensor wiring is no good, will need to fix this

Cam sensor wiring was also no good - I probably should have checked the entire loom but I only cleaned up what was on the ECU-side when I had it on the bench thinking all the factory stuff would be ok. I was wrong

Supercharger belt is massive, foamy was using it as a skipping rope when he got bored

Megan racing engine and gearbox mounts go in

Ripped out all the old, shredded, munted firewall heat shielding and added some DEI reflective stuff (still had heaps left over from when I did the AW11 during the 9A swap

Comment

And then the engine slowly, painfully, ridiculously difficultly, went in. It took FOR EVER! I have ripped out maybe 6 or 7 1UZs from soarers before, but I had never re-installed one!!! It was a cuuuuuuuuunttt

Eventually got it in and got the mounts, exhaust and tailshaft buttoned up. Had to call it there, we had probably put in about 60 man-hours between us over the course of the weekend, and all of us are going overseas for various trips this week. I will be back in 4 weeks, at which point it will be a case of bolting the torque converter, fluid connections, and wiring. Oh and installing the supercharger, radiator and thermos and whatever else I have forgotten.

Next update in mid-september!

Comment

Engine loom montage - fuck this loom, WHY DO THERE HAVE TO BE SO MANY WIRES??
                              LOL never work on a 1GZ then. Fully redundant dual ECUs means two of everything, trillions of wires!

Solid effort overall, looking forward to hearing it start up.
                              Norbie!

Comment

No updates for a while yet, been having the time of my life at the nurburgring instead in a z4 and a TT :D Place is amazing, I want to live there.

Drove the TT in the wet and didnt die, amazing

Comment

Working...
                                X