Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk to me about Saabs .. and Volvos

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Talk to me about Saabs .. and Volvos

    So I reckon I'm a bit fucking counter cyclical.

    I look for shit that is good value and has some interest.

    These things are stupid cheap.

    Anyone explain to me a brief summary of the motors over the last 10 or so years?

    There's 2.0 litre turbos, high and low compression, Aeros and eco models. I'm a bit wtf. Then there's the 2.3 turbo, aero is good, then some weird shit happens with high compression low boost efficiency models.

    Then the big daddy, 2.8 litre V6 ... I'm thinking about one of these, they seem pretty good fucking value vs a 335i which is equivalent in original purchase price.

    So is an under $3k less than 50,000km Saab a bad idea? I don't think so, but can I mod them and make them fun?

    Will I die in a fireball for a $8k 2.8 V6 turbo with 100,000kms and 250hp?

    Shit looks like 110kw up to 188kw over a period of 10 years.

    Thanks

    DJ



    Eg

    https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/_...676.1487621071

    155kw one

    https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/_...676.1487621071

    113kw one

    https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/_...676.1487621071

    184kw V6

    https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/_...676.1487621071

    Can I turn a 110kw one into a 155kw one or are there too many differences..
    Originally posted by thebluerx7
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .


    #2
    No.jpeg

    Comment


      #3
      They're a Swedish Holden Vectra.
      Originally posted by brewdles
      In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

      Comment


        #4
        mate of TRDEE and myself bought 2. yes 2, recently.
        first one shat the BRAND NEW turbo within 6wks of ownership, which was then subsequently used to rebuild the 2nd one which had issues with the balance shaft and some other stuff.

        end up being a 10wk ordeal to get it all sorted himself and the 2nd one running. also he and a few workshops were defeated by a driveshaft circlip. make of that what you will.

        Comment


          #5
          I can seriously empathise but, no
          This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless.

          Comment


            #6
            owned an early 97 9-5 manual. was a good beater. the one to get is a 9-3 aero manual b234r code engine light body and easily tuned. your a set of injectors and a decat off 350bhp
            I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
            WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
            robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

            Comment


              #7
              Am no Saab engine'o'phile but my eldest brother was the Service Mgr for Brisbane Saab years ago and I got to 'test' lots of them with him.

              They had a lot of issues with turbos blowing oil seals due to the way they were mounted from memory so they replaced a LOT of them (GT17 turbos....for a while I did a good trade selling them on eBay suitable for rebuilds ). Also had a bunch of crankcase breather issues and other than that mostly weird electrical shit.

              Go for an early one for max ugly sleeper potential. If you can find a Viggen (good luck!) they were the pick and funny as fuck to drive if you like fasts with epic torque steer, great brakes though. Wouldn't bother much with the middle years, last few years were ok although all of them were pretty comfy inside.

              I would own a 9-5 wagon with manual and the 2.3 engine (not looking at the 300hp white one on Bumtree by any chance are you?)

              Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
              Hide yo' wife!!!

              Comment


                #8
                2.8 is basically an alloymoo.. fuck that shit
                Originally posted by Rdyno
                70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                Originally posted by Tripper
                Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

                Comment


                  #9
                  Parts are starting to get rare. For example A/C units in the last 9-3's changed half way through production and they are hard to get parts for/ find a spare.

                  I like driving them but they are a unwanted red headed step child. Buy one, have fun, wreck for spares IMHO.
                  "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by the buttonman View Post
                    mate of TRDEE and myself bought 2. yes 2, recently.
                    first one shat the BRAND NEW turbo within 6wks of ownership, which was then subsequently used to rebuild the 2nd one which had issues with the balance shaft and some other stuff.

                    end up being a 10wk ordeal to get it all sorted himself and the 2nd one running. also he and a few workshops were defeated by a driveshaft circlip. make of that what you will.
                    The circlip that holds the CV in place on the shaft?

                    Requires a feather touch, to overcome and be able to remove the CV. Start bashing away at it, or forcing it off in a press, and you might as well junk the whole thing and start again. Once the circlip has deformed and jammed itself in the slot, it's pretty much game over.
                    Originally posted by brewdles
                    In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by piss98 View Post
                      Am no Saab engine'o'phile but my eldest brother was the Service Mgr for Brisbane Saab years ago and I got to 'test' lots of them with him.

                      They had a lot of issues with turbos blowing oil seals due to the way they were mounted from memory so they replaced a LOT of them (GT17 turbos....for a while I did a good trade selling them on eBay suitable for rebuilds ). Also had a bunch of crankcase breather issues and other than that mostly weird electrical shit.

                      Go for an early one for max ugly sleeper potential. If you can find a Viggen (good luck!) they were the pick and funny as fuck to drive if you like fasts with epic torque steer, great brakes though. Wouldn't bother much with the middle years, last few years were ok although all of them were pretty comfy inside.

                      I would own a 9-5 wagon with manual and the 2.3 engine (not looking at the 300hp white one on Bumtree by any chance are you?)

                      Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
                      Viggens were the tits.
                      Originally posted by brewdles
                      In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        early 900 Turbo or Viggen, otherwise no

                        isn't there some weirdo on here with a viggen?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Mr Jones
                          Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I would love to see someone on here do a 13's for $1300 stripped no exhaust drag special.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Stop being a pelican Damo. You just got rid of the Merc and now looking at these. You know how I know?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X