Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Nope, it was the 4.0 and 3.2 up to 2002/2003 which had plastic tensioners, the 4.2, 3.5 (and 4.4 in the land Rovers) had metal tensioners. The fix for the old motors was to fit the metal tensioners from the new ones.

Tensioners I'm talking about today are the ones for the drive belts.
    Yeah, I realize you are talking about belt tensioners. Just wasn't sure about the chains. Especially once you started talking about taking the bonnet off.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliffordcliffs View Post
      Am impressed with how clean your garage floor is.
      I sweep a lot LOL clean as you go...

Heaps of sand and shit was held up in the nosecone and the under trays.

Must have swept four or five times today.

Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post
      Yeah, I realize you are talking about belt tensioners. Just wasn't sure about the chains. Especially once you started talking about taking the bonnet off.
      Ah right. The problem is that the bonnet blocks you from removing the fan assembly, even with it up in the service position.

Just about done for today, changed the fuel filter and was surprised to find it had already been done, sometime in 2013 or maybe 2014, it had a date on the label Sept 2013, the new one I put in had 2017 on the label.

Funny also that one of the nuts holding it in place was missing (the hard one to get too), but even funnier I found that exact nut in the boot under the carpet a couple of weeks ago.

So it's back in its rightful place now, prick of a job no wonder it was left off...
      Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
      Originally posted by nutttr
      People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

I sweep a lot LOL clean as you go...

Heaps of sand and shit was held up in the nosecone and the under trays.

Must have swept four or five times today.

Ah right. The problem is that the bonnet blocks you from removing the fan assembly, even with it up in the service position.

Just about done for today, changed the fuel filter and was surprised to find it had already been done, sometime in 2013 or maybe 2014, it had a date on the label Sept 2013, the new one I put in had 2017 on the label.

Funny also that one of the nuts holding it in place was missing (the hard one to get too), but even funnier I found that exact nut in the boot under the carpet a couple of weeks ago.

So it's back in its rightful place now, prick of a job no wonder it was left off...
        Geez, in the VE V8 Calais I had to replace the AC bracket with a revised design one to stop the belt coming off and that only took about 1.5hrs and I only had to remove the wheel/drip tray... Everything else was 99% in situ... Also had to replace a broken cooling fan blade with one off a wrecker, took an hour to remove the OTR and other bits, but managed to lean everything a little and swap it in situ too...

That looks like a real headache to do yourself if it was your daily!
        Originally posted by piss98
        fuck I'd be happy to suck Bill Gates off

Comment

You've seen the way the bonnet opens on this car yeah?

People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Super late to this party, but god damn that's some epic progress on this thing.

Thanks for sharing Jack, you're in inspiration on how to do things properly!
            Get your hands off my penis!

Comment

You've seen the way the bonnet opens on this car yeah?

Radiator, etc is directly under the edge of the bonnet?? No wonder you have to remove it!
              Originally posted by piss98
              fuck I'd be happy to suck Bill Gates off

Comment

I have a diff finally

Comment

Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

And there goes my excitement....

They could have at least painted the fucking thing...

Comment

thats a bit fucking average

Comment

Hm. Doesn't look great.
                      Not telling you how to suck eggs Jack, but i'd be checking all the mechanicals to make sure that you're getting what you've paid for.

Comment

*shrugs*

its a diff, used diffs look like that? theyre filled with evil fucking diff fluid to keep the insides nice. the outside is rather... er, irrelevant? as long it is what its supposed to be?
                        Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
                        "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

It's a perception thing, if you've just stumped up the coin for a rebuilt diff, you assume it's going to at least look nice and fresh. A rattle can of semi gloss black costs peanuts and it takes 2 seconds to paint the thing. Looking at that I think if they couldn't be bothered to clean/paint it, did they build the thing properly in the first place?

Comment

I figured it was just a used diff. If it's supposed to be rebuilt... hmmm
                            Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
                            "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

It's got the Quaife center in it, and new seals on the output shafts. The seal on the pinion doesn't look new to me.

Yes I knew it was a used diff, but I was under the impression it would be "fully rebuilt" which made the cost a bit easier to swallow.

It's nice and tight and I can see that it's been apart, the splines of the center look new, etc.

Just disappointing, it cost me $3500 for what you see in that pic ($500 if that being GST, duty, etc) so yeah, I did expect a bit more than what I got.

There's not a spot of rust on the diff that's in the car now, so putting in a rusty one isn't cool...

Comment

Yeah that's a bit shit. Clean her up, whack her in the ass.

Once it's in and your double pegging it, all will be forgotten
                                Originally posted by thebluerx7
                                The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Working...
                                X