Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
    Are you using the 8.8? I didn't see anything obviously wrong but I'll have another look. Thanks Steve
    No sorry. I used the OEM 8"" so different I suspect. Does the 8.8" kit bolt in to any OEM holes?
    Originally posted by Walt Kowalski:
    I knew it. That orange bastard is controlling the weather with HAARP just to save his Mar-a-Lago property where he intends to host his handler, Vladimir Putin, at next years G7 which will be morphed back into the G8.

Comment

Yeah all of them! You can see it in the pictures above. It looks like it's loaded in the right direction (into the body). I will review when I get home. Send me pics of where yours broke

Comment

The quality and fitment of the Samberg products is quite good but I came across one problem with the front subframe. The lower control arm inner bushes mount into the subframe and the front receiver was about 3.5mm too wide on the rear side only. I contacted Justin Samberg and he was very confident his subframes are well-jigged so mine wasnít different to any other one so his advice was to just tighten it up. I had spoken to a guy in the UK with the same setup and he has issues with the adjusters moving at track days. Iím not sure what the exact cause is but having mounts not parallel to the bushes and bent in from bolt torque wonít help so I welded in some packers to make sure it was a good fitment

Another requirement of the Samberg subframe is to weld the supplied crescent wedges to the factory cam bolts. So I did that on two of them and made two new ones on longer bolts to suit the packed-out front mounts as there was insufficient protruding thread. There isnít any good way to locate the wedges so I made a jig to weld them together as well as needing them for the next step.

Comment

I definitely like this!
          GT8
          1UZ Celica
          1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Comment

Liking this!

/ --------------- \
            _/ /___________\ \_
            /_________|_________\
            |OOO ___________ OOO|
            \______|====|______/
            [_]-------------------[_]

Comment

Looking great mate.
              Originally posted by thebluerx7
              The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Nice build
                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Comment

this conversion is best conversion
                  www.holditflat.com

Comment

Due to popular demand the next installment is the shifter. This style of box uses a remote mounted shifter that bridges the gearbox to the trans tunnel and has a shifter arm from the underside of the shifter to the box. I didnít get one with the box so I lashed out on an MGW shifter from the US to suit a Camaro. Very pricey and nice bit of kit which made it extra annoying that I had to cut it up. I used the mill to take the exact amount out of the billet arms and ensure they would go back together nicely.

I also cut down the shifter arm and tacked it together.

So then it was test fitted. I drilled and mounted the rubber isolator receiver to the underside of the tunnel for the pins on the rear of the shifter but the rest just slides in. It fit well. It feels solid and looks tough as.

Comment

Awesome!
                      "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                      (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                      Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

You've been busy sir! Also, Ooh Nardi !
                        Originally posted by thebluerx7
                        The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Still planning on putting the Nardi in the bin. Would like to keep it (and the airbag) but due to my size I really prefer a smaller diameter wheel and may need some dish

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                            Still planning on putting the Nardi in the bin. Would like to keep it (and the airbag) but due to my size I really prefer a smaller diameter wheel and may need some dish
                            Was about to say, that steering wheel is massive!

Comment

Hurry up with the updates man, I've seen this thing making noise with forward motion and not enough tyre smoke.

Super prong all round, really helps you started with a pretty mint car to being with.
                              Originally posted by Dimi
                              80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
                              Originally posted by schnitzelburger
                              My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Comment

Sure thing Phil- How is that Z32 going?

Next episode: Suspension. The Cuscos that came with the car are a single way adjustable monotube with 5 settings ranging from what looks like stiff to retarded. So we opened them up and checked them over. New seals were sourced (not as easy as it sounds) and new oil was put in and then stuck on the dyno to check the damping. They overlayed really nicely and the adjusters worked well in the overlay also. Interestingly the stiffest setting almost stalled the dyno- they had comparative damping to armoured shocks for a 200 series Landcruiser- JDM yo!

The front struts use a rubber eye bush (rears are a clevis) which were shagged and souring replacements was near on impossible and likely to fail again. So I welded on some carriers and spherical bearings because race car. Turned up some custom spacers to suit the FD arms, a bit of paint and away we went. I am keeping the 10kg and 8kg springs for now until we see how they go.

I bought a set of OE mazda spherical bearings and seals *wipes tear* and replaced all but 2 that felt nice. They are not hard to replace so I'm keen to see just how worn the other two are- they aren't hard to replace. The rest of the bushes that were stock rubber were replaced with Superpro poly bushes including anti roll bars and steering rack. The only ones that remained stock were the hybrid spherical/rubber mounts in the front upper arms. They felt ok and I didnít want just spherical bearings in there just yet. Some new grease, new seals, and that's it.

This box has all of the FD suspension arms in it (and a clutch pedal as it turns out). Very easy to lift as they are all cast (die or pressure unsure) aluminium. Very cool.

The ball joints are not replaceable so they got a grease change, new Mazda boots and clips.

Comment

Working...
                                X