Merc 280S

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many ways to skin the coil cat. Could use a mirrored setup of Ford EDIS coils and external 4-channel igniters. Could ignite stock coils using external igniters etc etc
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
      Other major complication is the twin plug coils which are dumb coils. {snip} 16 ls1 coils.
      Where's the second plug located in the chamber? 4 valves per cylinder? If it's like the (156/147) 16 valve Alfa Twinspark, the (smaller) secondary plug off to the side of the chamber can be binned and a blanking plug installed - it actually sparked after the main ignition even in a half arsed attempt to clean up emissions.
      If it's 3 valve and symmetrically placed plugs, then you probably need to use them (although I have heard you can run the early 8valve/symetrical Twinspark alfas on a single plug with no power loss).
      "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

If it's a twin plug head, there is a significant advantage in knock reduction and completion of the burn by using both plugs. In the hemi-style Nissan heads that used two plugs, the difference between firing events was 3 degrees lead in the primary plug, and the difference in optimal advance between single plug and twin plug operation was 34 degrees single plug, and 4 degrees twin plug.

I suspect there is some torque advantage there, but I think I'd defer to some with dyno time to confirm that. Maybe work up a single plug and a dual plug spark map, if you've got the means.

Comment

^
          | what he said. I am led to believe Mercedes went with twin plug mainly for the 5.5L not having enough squish area and causing detonation, particularly on the supercharged version.
          It may be that the 4.3L wonít need the second plug but I have no info on it.

I guess an option is to run one plug and see if I get any detonation, and only look for a solution if it does?
          Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
          my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

My 6.1 hemi also has twin plugs so I'm interested to see which way this goes.

They use 8 coils with the second plug in each cylinder connected to a coil on the other bank.

Apparently it's for emissions rather than power, though there's a slight gain in power as well.

Comment

Twin will make more power and be far less susceptible to knock if a lot less advance is required.

Might be able to get a bunch of cheap moo or rx7 twin post "wastespark" coils cheaper than 16 singles.

If you buy new singles get the IGN-1A coils. All the high boost alchy fuel/water injected guys are running them including waste spark in rotary application at massive duty cycles with no problems. They are cheap, have pretty much the best energy of non cdi system and don't suffer the self discharge issues some of the ls stuff does. The guy who originally designed them for Mercury posts on efi101 forum.

They are rebadged by a bunch of people like AEM, diy and sake are known good suppliers.

http://www.sakebombgarage.com/ign-1a-ignition-coils/

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ign-1a-race-coil/

Comment

Nice! They run an internal igniter?

Ecomoo coils are also dumb coils. The igniter is in the base plate.
                Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Hereís what the combustion chamber looks like

Comment

I see they couldn't get the plugs any further from the centre of the chamber!
                    Yeah, that needs dual completion ignition.
                    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Yes the 1A is internal igniter which you will want, the separate earth is important when wiring too. You can get a IGN-1 which is a bare coil but probably not relevant for you.

I guess if you are going to have twin spark that spacing will give shortest total burn for the whole chamber from the two plugs.

A set of iridium plugs would be worth more than the motor?

Comment

Yeah for sure. As is 16 IGN coils lol
                        Iím guessing Iíll be making an igniter box and the stock coils initially.
                        Fuck Iím sick of being poor. I canít even blame car projects any more.

Comment

I've still got that full rear end for you up here in QLD if you want it mate.
                          Originally posted by Dimi
                          80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
                          Originally posted by schnitzelburger
                          My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchy View Post
                            I've still got that full rear end for you up here in QLD if you want it mate.
                            Can you snap off a photo for me? May work out well!

Comment

I'll snap something off for you.
                              Originally posted by Dimi
                              80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
                              Originally posted by schnitzelburger
                              My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Comment

Hahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X