• Show
Clear All

• Slides
    replied
    Fuck yeah

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    wiring is done all bar the battery leads and fuel pump. I can’t take the seats back out to access the pass throughs for the rear firewall until we have moved house. The drivers exhaust manifold needs the engine lifted to fit in place and is a bastard to get to the bolts and fit gaskets in place. Will finish next visit to the shed.

dash ready to reassemle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ACB9C396-0E8E-45CC-A49A-34632F205262.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.04 MB ID:	7124683

here is the dash. The wax mechanical temp gauge has been replaced with the back end of a VDO 51mm round gauge using the Mercedes face plate.
    oil gauge was a mechanical capillary type and I was scratching my head on how to retrofit an electric one before thinking more about it. The haltech will run pressure readout duties to the CAN gauge I will fit to the middle of the dash. So all I need is an idiot light. I’ve decided to go rally style and fit a big fuckoff red one in the spot the gauge used to be. Mercedes never ran one and relied on the pressure gauge. Will give it a really good clean and reassemble and test.
    speedo will stay stock but I am going to run a Speedhut Speedbox mechanical drive GPS unit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3976341D-186D-4B6B-98E8-E66564FD84E8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.58 MB ID:	7124682
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jim; 22-03-20, 02:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• enigma9000
    replied
    Awesome stuff, great progress!

Leave a comment:

• PXL265
    replied
    Nice progress.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Nobody knows. Have plumbed it into the top hose using the stock T piece.
    main effort at the moment is to confirm it will run as the engine is a complete unknown. I have installed all of the wiring except the main battery cable and engine earth strap. I integrated the starter wiring and bridged the starter inhibitor wires from when it was an auto. I put a battery on and it cranked over nicely, confirming the starter engages and oil isn’t going to piss out everywhere.

next steps is get the exhaust manifolds on, wire the fuel pumps, install the fuel hard line and do the battery cables. Then I can confirm it will run.

after that it’s basically everything else and tidy it up.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    So newbie coolant question. The coolant header tank has two hose fittings; the big one underneath and the small one at the top corner.
    the engine side has the big pipe fitting above the lower rad hose on the rad itself. The small hose is plumbed into a T piece on the bottom hose. This seems dumb to me as there’s no way to bleed the system. Am I better off tapping a fitting for the small hose on the thermostat housing?

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Clutch bled brakes bled.
    I decided that I didn’t like the oil pressure fitting location as it was a bit too close to the belt and if it ever got belt whip it’d break it off. So I made a banjo bolt and hose to remote mount the oil pressure sensor. Looks good and it’s secure and out of the way of the belt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_112992.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	7117361Click image for larger version

Name:	image_112991.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	7117360

Name:	image_112990.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	7117359
    Last edited by Jim; 28-02-20, 04:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sketchy
    replied
    Good to see my man, keep at it.

Leave a comment:

• bahaimus
    replied

Name:	THIS-MAKES-ME.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	7115515

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Yeah for sure. A bit of everything. A tidy quick road car I can do sprints, khana and hillclimbs in. The idea is to get it all working then strip it down for paint and panel.

Leave a comment:

• Slides
    replied
    Khanas in mind?

Leave a comment:

• no13b_Coupe
    replied
    Nice.
    For a moment I thought you had moved it to the new place already. I was like fuck this cunt is efficient! Takes me 6 months to do a 10min job on my Gemini. Lol

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Wow it’s been months.
    shed is still full of furniture but we are moving in hopefully 4 weeks to a place with a garage.

in the meantime I did take a little time to do some stuff but haven’t documented it very well. I nipped out to the shed and took a couple of photos today while collecting some other stuff.

engine wiring is mostly in. Waiting for me to integrate the 50yo body wiring.

shifter works. It’s an eBay special for a bmw chopped up to fit the gearbox and tunnel using some Subaru shifter parts and random steel. Plan is to reinforce the tunnel and fit a gator, and build a console over the whole lot. It also gives me exactly the right amount of room for the hydraulic handbrake.

what.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• PXL265
    replied
    And found some pictures of the spacers and bolting them up for my old thing.....

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    I’m still sus on bolt ons. Especially as no spacers are technically legal. I was thinking maybe I could weld them to the back of the rims. No less safe than spacers but at least they won’t attract the same scrutiny.

next time I catch up with the resident expert I’ll pester him about it haha

Leave a comment:

Working...
X