Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toyota Cressida MX73 GL-i

Recently picked up my next project car from the Central Coast and drove it up to the Gold Coast. The car didn't miss a beat the whole way up.

Body is really straight, being a 1987 model with a little over 300,000kms the paint is as expected for it's age but overall not too bad. A good cut and polish will really bring it up nicely. All electrics inside the car work, it's been really well looked after. According to the seller I am the 3rd owner, they bought it from an older guy that had it since new.

One of the best things about it is that it's 1,360kg tare weight which opens up a lot of options for engine conversions - 4,080cc max capacity for forced induction.

Plans for now are to fix up a couple of small things inside the engine bay like battery clamp and bonnet struts then have safety certificate done so I can transfer the rego over. Unsure which engine to go for, more than likely 2j as it is an easy swap and I still have lots of parts sitting around. I am inclined to manual swap with a TR6060 and Quick Time bellhousing or even a GF5-R I have sitting in the workshop that I bought cheap! One of the first mods will be to have the rear end done with something that will handle a bit of power. I am also super tempted for a 3 rotor swap but think mounting the engine would be a massive mission and well and truly beyond my ability (RZ if you're reading this are you keen? haha). I think it will make such a good sleeper.

I am really happy with the condition. I've been wanting to buy one for some time but each one that came up had massive rust issues and were completely ruined by P platers!

Pretty excited about this one.

Wow thatís definitely a good clean base to start off with. Iíd say go the three rotor swap. So many of these have ended up with a jz of sorts and something entirely different like a three rotor would 100% be worth the effort IMO. Following.

Comment

MX73's are cool, it's getting hard to find them in good condition though. Looks like you scored.

Rotor swap is a good idea if you like making things unnecessarily difficult. Yes it will be different but you'll pay the price. A JZ conversion by comparison is ridiculously easy, it's like they were built to go in that engine bay. IMO easy is good when it comes to engine conversions, but that's just me. Either option will be a good result once it's done.

As for the rear end, the standard F series diff will handle all the abuse a 2JZ can throw at it - ask me how I know. My F-series has outlived 1x clutch, 1x tailshaft, and 4x W58's, and it's still going strong! Chuck in a TrueTrac centre and you'll be laughing, probably want a taller ratio as well - you probably have a 4.11, tallest you can get is 3.58 from RA65 Celica and that seems to work nicely with a 2JZ.
      Norbie!

Comment

Yeah that's really neat. No blue or red velour though :-)
        Originally posted by thebluerx7
        The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Would fit well in Damos silver Toyo fleet
          Originally posted by brasher
          TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Wow. So tidy. I hear the Toyo V12s fit well in these.
            Proudly presenting the new foot long chocolate Subway.
            Originally posted by ALLMTR
            Rats tail haircut used to mean make sure the OC spray is shaken

Comment

Barra
              Originally posted by 50RTD
              Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

Buy my 500whp Aristo, use driveline and win.
                Originally posted by Mr Jones
                Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Bolt View Post
                  Wow. So tidy. I hear the Toyo V12s fit well in these.
                  Oh yes, and op has a few lying around iirc ?
                  Originally posted by thebluerx7
                  The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

So clean. Shame it doesn't have the maroon lounge room, but look forward to seeing what you do with it. I had forgotten how much it sucked to clean those factory alloys until I saw your pics.

Comment

One of the best things about it is that it's 1,360kg tare weight which opens up a lot of options for engine conversions - 4,080cc max capacity for forced induction.
                      You said it yourself.
                      4L+turbo+Toyota=UZ

Turbo v8 torque in this car would be magic.
                      Save the rotary for a Carolla.
                      Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
                        I had forgotten how much it sucked to clean those factory alloys until I saw your pics.
                        Haha my Century has very similar style alloys, I know that pain. Mostly they just stay dirty though.

Anyway this will certainly be a unique ride with a 20B, I look forward to chopping it with my 2JZ.
                        Norbie!

Comment

Was looking at 20Bs last night - seems tricky to mount mostly like you said. Sump is annoying but easy enough to work around.

Comment

Fuck yeah!

Comment

Subscribed.

Comment

Working...
                              X