No announcement yet.

Tale of too many Silvia's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality effort. I know I'm broken for asking, but is anything interesting happening in the engine bay of the old camry?

Comment

Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
      Quality effort. I know I'm broken for asking, but is anything interesting happening in the engine bay of the old camry?
      Im not sure what could be more exciting than a 3s-fe? A 5s-fe, perhaps?

Hoping to be told that its a 3s-gte though

Comment

Supercharged V6 from an Aurion or vienta? Time for crab walk torque steer to make a comeback

Comment

Supercharged V6 from an Aurion or vienta? Time for crab walk torque steer to make a comeback
          True!!!

Why change lanes with the steering wheel, when you can simply stab the accelerator

Comment

Originally posted by 138ci View Post
            You sure know how to build a nice car...... you're also clearly a different breed to pull apart a perfectly nice running car to do an engine conversion, let alone while building another car simultaneously. That is next level balls.
            Thanks mate, next level retarded maybe lol.

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
            That Nutsert thingymabob looks amazing!!!

Great progress on the radiator, swirl pot, and fans...they look really tidy
            Cheers mate thanks.

Originally posted by SRB210 View Post
            Coming along very nice mate. I used some of that 200 series for my fuel lines works well i was able to get away without cutting the sheath off but
            Oh no kidding nice, I couldn't get the fitting over it for the life of me.

Hahaha, plan is just to replace every gasket and seal to stop it pissing everywhere but crab walking to change lanes sounds good too lol.

Comment

Oh no kidding nice, I couldn't get the fitting over it for the life of me
              I just lubed the shit out of it and gently worked it over the hose lol. Was only dash 6 stuff but Im guessing the larger stuff your using would be a lot harder

Click image for larger version

Name:	tank 4.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	7275326

Comment

Let me preface this by saying I am 99% shit when it comes to wiring.

So if I sound dumb it's because I am.

The davies craig instructions are thorough and help though.

Hooking up the fans, earth and temp sensor are easy enough. Ignition and air-con clutch I was going to splice after the fuse.

Power is easy to get at, but should there be an in-line fuse before the controller? With the fan fuses after the controller doesn't this mean the controller gets fried before the fan fuses pop?

Sent my (silly?) questions to a mate and while waiting on his reply made up a bracket.

Still waiting on advice so got to doing a job I'd been putting off for a while. The red car has Apexi gauges which I wanted to use in the S14. The only drama being the wiring for the gauges is a prick to get at and the air vents in the dash are an absolute pain in the neck.

All the gauge wiring comes to a control box.

Got that off without breaking the dash somehow and then started following the wires.

Bent over upside down lying across the tunnel, if it wasn't lockdown mk6 would have gone to the physio after.

The three dash gauges are connected via a daisy chain which are behind the air vents.

There are two clips, one at 12oc one at 6oc that are tight af. The only way to get at is a slim screwdriver, lots of jiggling and a couple of hail mary's. If you're lucky you'll get them all out without damaging the dash. Back in the day this wasn't such a drama but now S15 dashes are worth what a rolling shell used to be I really didn't want to fk my dash.

Better to be lucky than to be good.

The a-pillar wasn't too bad and plastic interior tools things help, toledo need to make one for s15 vents.

The sensor looms went through a factory plug which was up high under the dash. Didn't get any photos of this because I'd left my phone on the bench and buggered if I was going to entangle out of there again to get it. I don't know how auto elecs do it.

After what felt like ages had everything out.

The S14 doesn't have any factory vents that suit 52mm gauges like the S15 unfortunately.

So rice it is.

The gauge holders are actually going to do two jobs. The dash in the S14 has a few little rips and like everything people want drug money for good ones (dash looks super shiny because I just wiped it off) so when I get more double sided tape they'll go over the rips.

Will look something like this, fnf spec.

Ran out of time to finish the controller. Need to pickup a set of crimpers, work out what rated fuse I need for the power and hopefully finish it off next week.
                Last edited by gmr; 08-08-21, 04:22 PM.

Comment

why not swap the 11ty gauges for a dash connected to the ECU?
                  would mean you dont have to trash the dash and can stick all the info directly in front of your face

Comment

Originally posted by the buttonman View Post
                    why not swap the 11ty gauges for a dash connected to the ECU?
                    would mean you dont have to trash the dash and can stick all the info directly in front of your face
                    fair question mate, im trying not to go silly with this car and it only has a PowerFC so to run a dash I'd be up for a new ECU + the dash whereas this is all cost neutral.

And I've watched too many Option videos so i like a bit of rice lol

Comment

Originally posted by gmr View Post

fair question mate, im trying not to go silly with this car and it only has a PowerFC so to run a dash I'd be up for a new ECU + the dash whereas this is all cost neutral.

And I've watched too many Option videos so i like a bit of rice lol
                      i also enjoy some ricey stuff as well. but having said that the power FC may as well be solar powered calculator compared to any ECU made in the last 10yrs, many of which can had 2nd hand and i reckon some googling will get you a plug in loom ready to go. im shit at wiring and had someone else do a new loom for me, it wasnt cheap, but fuck me its so neat and made the rest of the engine bay look so untidy

Comment

Originally posted by the buttonman View Post

i also enjoy some ricey stuff as well. but having said that the power FC may as well be solar powered calculator compared to any ECU made in the last 10yrs, many of which can had 2nd hand and i reckon some googling will get you a plug in loom ready to go. im shit at wiring and had someone else do a new loom for me, it wasnt cheap, but fuck me its so neat and made the rest of the engine bay look so untidy
                        haha yea that's a good way to describe it. I'm going for 90s JDM with the S14, period correct rice and unreliability.

Comment

Wiring misadventures chapter 1.

Started with the easy stuff first, power. Mate recommended putting an in-line fuse in so got one of these things from repco.

These thingos make it easy.

Next up were fan 1 and 2. More in line solder heatshrink thingos.

This left earth, ignition (yellow) and AC trigger (green). I won't bore any one with the earth. Figured I could kill two birds with one stone by getting ignition and AC trigger from the AC compressor relay. Que pulling apart the fuse box to get at it.

The AC compressor relay is on the ignition circuit and is normaly open, closing to run the compressor. I thought this would be good to kickstart the thermo fans when AC is on (incorrectly as time will tell).

Because I didn't have a lot of confidence I didn't want to splice into the loom. Thought I might be able to run the controller wires into the relay directly.

Battery had decent charge somehow after sitting around for yonks.

With the key in ignition we have power, woo.

And back together.

For the AC trigger I wanted to hook into the open side so when the AC turns on the relay energises switch closes starting the thermos.

It was at this point one of the boys in the chat shat in my cornflakes. He explained to me that the AC compressor doesn't always run when the AC is on. It runs to build pressure and then cuts out. If it were to run all the time it would eventually blow up... bugger. Managed to find a european S14 wiring diagram which has to be close to the ADM model I have and it's right (I think this thing makes sense almost).

Oh well back to the drawing board. There's the stock ac thermo fan relay which in hindsight seems like a much better choice doh. Before doing that thought I should check if the fans would run thermostatically. They're set to turn on at 85 degrees so heated the temp sensor up with the gun (106 degrees not 901 lol).

Except the fans didn't turn on :s. The earth at the fans is good (the battery had dropped some charge during the day) but nothing when the temp goes past 85 degrees. I can hear the relays clicking on and off and the fuses on the fan leads are good but no fans??

Felt dejected so gave up and cleaned the shed instead, fking wiring.

Last edited by gmr; 22-08-21, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Didn't feel like failing at simple wiring again so pulled the radiator and fans out to put some adhesive on the bottom edge of the shround as I didn't have any a few weeks back.

And had to replace the zip ties with a proper bracket. It is a Silvia but onw can be only so dodgy.

Wannabe blinky time.

Okay so if it was real blinky they'd be half as big to save 5 grams.

The other job I had was the oil temp sensor. Being Japanese it's a fine metric M12x1.25 thread. The Greddy sensor bung is PT thread (similar to NPT or BSPT). Guess how hard it is to find a PT to M12x12.5 adapter that's not made with sweet and sour pork. Turns out very hard, the hydraulic bloke we use for the excavators and the local Enzed had nothing.

Luckily the original oil plate that came with the S14 has those big anodized gold bolts with holes in them.

And the toolshop had a M12x1.25 tap.

Consulted the chart and a 10.2mm bit for M12. 10mm is close enough surely.

Nope, pitch wouldn't change it?

Try a 10.5mm.

But still nope, bit hard to see but the tap bottomed out when it got to width.

Had another gold bolt with a hole in it and used the 11mm bit this time which finally worked.

Nice clean thread.

Thread sealant for good measure.

And in missing the shroud by a few mm.

Spent the rest of the day cooking rice. Started with plain rice.

Oem JDM white face cluster rice.

Aftermarket JDM gauges rice.

JDM louis vutton handbag equivalent (unneccessary and overpriced vanity purchse) rice.

And lastly a little bit more aftermarket JDM rice in the powerfc hand controller (buttonman this is the only reason I'm keeping the powerfc, feel free to tear into me lol).

It's been a long time since I could sit in a car and make engine noises let alone drive one, so went to put the seat in. I should have a fixed rail but I want my mate's to be able to drive it and they're either giants or short arses so adjustable it is.

Unfotunately my arse is too big and the seat doesn't fit. Next week I'll pull the rail out and redrill the holes. Need to do something about the half cage too.

The passenger seat is the same as the drivers, but held off putting this until I wire the gauges in.

Overall happy with how it looks. Want the car to have a 90s JDM look about it.

Lastly Dan at Razz got me some RS4s before the price jacks up and I finally got to pickup my wheels. They've been sitting at Dan's for a good six months. I've had more sets of RPF1s than I have Silvia's. They're still my favourite wheel, light and cheap relative to other JDM wheels and you can buy them in singles when you wannabe drift king into a gutter. Ask me how I know.

They're 18x9.5 +15 with 265/35.

Rears will fit with a bit more of a pull on the guards, but I think the fronts will need some fibreglass guards and a shitload less castor lol.

Eventually the car will go to Dan's for an alignment and will see where the wheels sit once it's all measured up. Until then they're in the most reliable cupboard I own.

Comment

Originally posted by gmr View Post

And lastly a little bit more aftermarket JDM rice in the powerfc hand controller (buttonman this is the only reason I'm keeping the powerfc, feel free to tear into me lol).

yeah nah, im not gonna tear into you, its a sick car! i have quite the soft spot for S14s, even if they are tractor powered. i was just offering suggestions for clean and simplicity sake.

also, i had similar dumb wiring faults on my AE86 to chase. was a pain in the dick, and getting a complete new loom unfucked that mess completely and picked up a few other small issues.

Comment

Hey mate. That sump plug looks like the ones for Lamco guages (come on Evos and early subarus). They are drug money these days cause importers can't be fucked getting them out of the sump when they rip out gauges.
                                "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                                (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                                Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Working...
                                X