Sil80 with a smattering of other sil* and *80's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sil80 with a smattering of other sil* and *80's

This is partially a gradual, slow ass build thread, and partially a record of dumb shit I've done, and partially a record of anecdotes that I'm starting to forget, which are a part of why I like cars.

Chunks of the time line will be out of order because I'm a scatterbrain.

I always wanted a 300ZX. Dream car. So in 2009, I bought this:

1989 180SX, it just had a fresh SR20 from a halfcut installed, along with a fresh paint job. The guy had told me over the phone it was custom paint with metallic flake. I was young and clueless, I said 'ok sure'. Upon inspection, it was a grey car, with some grey flakes on it. Car had 51 weeks rego too.

I washed it, went out to Cronulla the next day. I wasn't ready for it

The whole car was flake. I was a little alarmed, but grew to love it. Was a fun car anyway, had coilovers, front mount, and basically stock aside from that. Had the reliability of a stock car anyway.

I slowly tinkered as I could afford to; new exhaust, new seats, sold the Lenso wheels for some random cheapies with tread, HKS camber tops for the coilovers. I was more satisfied by fixing niggling issues, like the headlights not going down after using them. The motors worked, as they would go up if you manually wound them down. The switch worked, because it would flip them up. The stalk worked, because it would flip them up when you hit the lights or highbeams. I couldn't find the headlight timing module however. Dafuq? It's listed in parts. I was picking bits off a wreck at Dapto pickapart one day and noticed that there is a subloom from behind the glovebox that runs down behind the ECU... I pulled my glovebox out, found an empty plug, put in the timing module that came in a box of spare part with the car, and my headlights suddenly worked! 6 months to solve that riddle.

I had no idea how many km's were on it, having had its dash swapped, it could have been a million. One day, after reading about them, I spotted the dreaded S13 cracks. A friend eventually helped me by welding them up, and then welding on some homemade fender braces

I eventually got roped into going to a Twilight event at Eastern Creek. I went with some friends of friends, but was basically on my own. I had no idea what the fuck I was doing, til halfway through the night one friend jumped in and told me some basics of drifting.

I still sucked. The night was crazy. 40+ cars queuing up for the wet pan, so only had 3 runs in the night. During the third run, the car developed a hideous grinding noise when turning the wheel. I jacked it up, nothing caught in there, no signs of damage to anything. Noone had anything helpful to add at this point. I decided if its fucked, its fucked. I might as well try driving home, and get a tow from wherever it stops moving. By the time I drove out of Eastern Creek, the powersteering self-bled enough to work out the airbubbles that were causing the hideous noises. Fuck. Ok, lesson learned.

I went out a second time, and had a much better night. 10 or so sessions, I was understanding the car, only spun out once or twice in the whole night. Mucho fun.

Not long after this, I went for a drive through National Park. Or tried to anyway.

Had been raining for about an hour, I approached one of the hairpins near the speed limit, hit brakes and steered in... the car went dead straight, right into a tree. There wasn't much in it, if there was a gutter or guard rail or ANYTHING at this point it would have been less bad. Probably broken suspension or something equally inconvenient, but yeah. Pushed the motor through the firewall, pulled strut towers toward eachother, bent the roof, bent the floor. Car was fucked up properly. Myself and passenger survived, albeit broken bones and broken friendship.

I was off work for months after this. Sold everything off the wreck, somehow made back most of my money. I should have grown up and moved on with life at this point.

Edit: imgur is fucking with picture sizes. Trying to make it palatable

The accident sucks dude sorry to hear that. Also sucks that it broke up a friendship.

So are you rebuilding or did you sell the car?

Comment

So 2010, friend of a friend had word of a bargain "Type x". Me being a dickhead, inspected, accepted that it had faults, and bought it anyway.

Had a blown gearbox (no second). Turbo made a funny noise. BYO wheels. Stunk of ciggies and the rear tint was fucked. I told nopics it'd be just chucking in a new gearbox and putting rego on it, back to living the dream. So I bought wheels for it

I started pulling parts off, and selling them. Car had blown gearbox, blown turbo, one blown coilover. Had a lot of weird fruit on it, later model floormats, nicer interior than my first car. HKS F-Con ecu, some bits of this and that. Then I out-dickheaded myself, and started digging a deep hole. I also pulled the engine out. I don't actually remember why I felt that was necessary. But I did it.

I also went Sil80, which was my dream for the previous car, but I never wanted to do because if matching a flaked paint job would be a nightmare. Metallic black car, no worries

I even went carbon bonnet, which someone else had put bonnet pin latches in crooked. Regret.

Brand new taillights from Nissan. $742 delivered, so current 2nd hand prices are a laugh. Even came with a new key barrel and two keys to suit. Anyway, around this time, I realised I was an adult, and had been living away from home for many years... so if I wanted to buy a smashed car, I COULD.

A smashed S15 shell popped up, that I could afford. So I bought it.

I'm sure any previous step could have been the beginning of the end, but this is probably the beginning of the end. Doing an S15 dash swap always leaves corners cut, and comes off feeling cheap or dodgy in some way. I had an entire donor car, so I was going to transplant the carpet, rooflining, door cards, etc.

It was a huge job to do, getting the dash to sit in the right spot was a cunt. Trimming the backs of door cards so they sit flat was a cunt. I had re-sectioned the doorcards (S15 doors are longer and taller than s13) but never got around to fiberglassing them. I also so that someone had some pre-made wheel tubs, so I hassled the guy for a set, which then started him making them in bulk

My plan was to run R33 GTR wheels with 255/40 all round, so replacing the tubs didnt seem like a bad idea.

Except I am a nuisance with an angle grinder

And until then, I had never welded before

The car kept snowballing and snowballing. Accumulated a lot of parts. Changed my mind about a lot of things. I think it is safe to say I was in over my head.

Comment

Good read so far.....cant wait to see what happens next!

Comment

This descent into hell was neverending. In 2012? a car popped up for sale on NS at a pretty outrageous price. I messaged a friend who had sold his car and regretted it - $4k for a 180SX with blown motor. And comes with $4k of brand-new-in-box parts! My friend sent back a snarky message, something like "I'm on holidays, you buy it if its so good, spastic"

Probably for the first time in my life, I had $4000 that I had saved up and not attributed to anything. But I already had a car. Wait a minute, I'm an adult! There's no reason why I can't buy another 180SX!

The thing was sticker bombed and had previously been on fire. Wheels were 17x10, and actually hit the wheel tubs at 3/4 lock. My first experience with a body kit that was completely cable tied on.

The bonnet had been on fire, because oldmate had run the car minus O2 sensor. The burning fuel that came out of the hole in the dump pipe - surprisingly - ignited the ECU loom, bonnet lining, everything. Somehow, lots of 'bad luck' things happened to the car. Doesn't matter, I bought the car to strip it for parts. So job one, lets get rid of the wheels. Step one: jack the car up

Ok.... this was a street driven drifter... Maybe a quarter of suspension-y bolts were missing. One castor rod bracket NOT BOLTED TO THE FUCKING CAR.

The engine bay wasn't much better. Dead SR20 with horrific knock and pumped out smoke. "I'm not sure how it died". Was running a TD06-20G untuned, with boost controller set to ???. The turbo was also seized in its housings - the oil feed was blocked with plumbers tape, paint flakes and metal shavings.

The rocker cover had been painted 3 or 4 times, with the last time painted IN the engine bay. So there was overspray on everything. The best part was that he didnt mask any holes, so when he put the oil cap back in, it peeled off a lot of paint flakes, which were all through the engine (and in turbo oil feed).

A mate had come by to pinch a seatbelt for his friend, and then suggested that I get the car running. What a great idea! Except I then had to pinch a seatbelt out of the black car.

The car came with forged pistons, rods, cams, springs/retainers, oversized valves, timing kit, etc. all brand new in box. I sold most of this, along with the coilovers, gay flatbrim parts, china strut braces, etc. and threw in the motor out of the black car. Peeled off all the stickers and tried to make it at least some what tidy

The interior was disgusting

The alarm had an annoying feature, where the windows would go up every time you turn the ignition off. Fucking great for a car you needed to work on.

So ripped that out - and the car idled better for some reason. Filled a few buckets with wiring. The boost controller was installed with TWO FULL SPOOLS of wire. As in, he bought 5 meters of orange wire, ran that for positive, and 5 meters of yellow wire, and that was his negative. All behind the dash ofcourse.

Tidied up the interior as much as I could, to make a comfy thrasher.

Exterior was never going to be pretty, but I just reverted to stock everything. In the end, it was on the road and registered for $600 out of pocket.

This was a really fun car to drive. Stock engine bay aside from some bracing. HKS lowering springs on KYB struts. Stockies with 5 year old chinese all weather tyres.

Sold my shitbox daily to a mates brother for $600, so this car was effectively free. It was the best of times.

It lasted for 3 weeks until nasty noises came from the car. Everyone told me it was big end bearings, so I pulled the motor and stripped it down. Lo and behold, there was no damage to any bearing, save the thrust washer. My mechanic friend asked me how I undid the flywheel bolts without a rattle gun; I thought that he undid them for me. He did not. The bolts were all stretched, and thus, the noise was a flywheel coming lose.

Fuck

Comment

Pretty sure we're related bloke lol, loving the read.

Comment

I will never understand why people do dasboard swaps to a later model car.
              Skrrraaaarrrrrk

Comment

imho the S15 interior has aged much better than the 180SX/S13. The quality of the plastics and materials in the door cards make it a nicer place to be. Just my opinion.

Comment

So buy an s15 then?
                  Skrrraaaarrrrrk

Comment

Each to their own in the dash swap but I half tried it once and it was a fucking nightmare. Quickly backed out of that.

Where does one source S13 front wheel tubs?

Comment

Enjoying this so far and does appear that nopistons and gmr may have some ancestry relations. Nopistons, whats with the user name, is a 13b going to make its way under the bonnet of 1 of these?

Comment

Cheers boys. It's been an adventure, some days I forget the fun parts and just concentrate on the misery. Sort of the point of this thread.

Originally posted by Chase Rockwell View Post
                        I will never understand why people do dasboard swaps to a later model car.
                        Because its an upgrade

At the time, had seen so many sick track cars with S15 dash... the air vents fit most jap 60mm gauges, so allow for a really clean installation. The penny drops when you realise that a tek screwed dash in a track car has no functionality of a standard dash. They simply don't fit. There are gaps around the A-pillars, the dashboard is a completely different shape, the door cars are different shapes, etc. Nothing lines up. A friend I met when parting out the first car in 2010 started an S15 dash swap, and was 'doing it properly'. I think as of 2017 he has finished it. Re-sectioned the door cards to suit S13 doors, repinned all the plugs so the window controls / etc. all work properly, re-wired and relocated the S13 climate control (ADM S15 has peasanty non-climate control air conditioning, but fuck making that work anyway). He plastic welded half of the S13 aircon piping to S15 piping so that all of the air vents are fed as per standard, and everything about the dash works as per factory. Every single piece of the interior was modified and tweaked somehow, to cohesively fit together.

I actually like the S13 dash, everyone says its plain and bland but it seems pure and honest to me.

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                          Each to their own in the dash swap but I half tried it once and it was a fucking nightmare. Quickly backed out of that.

Where does one source S13 front wheel tubs?
                          These were made by Rex Kelway. His tubs started featuring in a lot of higher profile cars, that were actually completed

Originally posted by THE CHIEF View Post
                          Enjoying this so far and does appear that nopistons and gmr may have some ancestry relations. Nopistons, whats with the user name, is a 13b going to make its way under the bonnet of 1 of these?
                          I wish! I've always had a fascination with rotors, but alas, I needed a new username for PF, and my soon-to-be-revealed engine build included a silly joke at my expense.

Comment

Intermission

It might be worth introducing a few more characters into this nightmare

Pete is the cunt responsible for getting me into modified cars, back in the day. I probably would still be putting around in my auto SR20DE N14 pulsar to this day if he hadn't piqued my interest with his SR20DET swap.

The car has had a colourful life. Tomei 2.2 stroker kit, S13 front suspension, R33 brakes, Z31 rear end, Cusco 2 way LSD massaged into a longnose R200 housing. Even with a standard redtop, it broke many, many driveshafts after a reputable shop gave him a frankenstein combination for mix-and-match half shafts. Years of busted shafts was fixed when he realised that the entire Z31 turbo rear end fits into the S12, allowing him to run bigger factory shafts with a 5 stud rear end.

Matty I met through an absolute dumb cunt mutual friend when I had the first 180. I saw his car at night, it was an unremarkable purple-ish Silvia.

The car made 240rwkw. It had a china T04B, S15 injectors, S14 AFM, a china fuel pressure regulator, and Nistune. And stock struts with chopped springs. Exactly as he bought it, and he flogged the shit out of it for 2+ years. He bought some king springs and asked me to help install them, and then I finally saw the car in daylight, which started my love affair with Nissan TH1 Velvet Blue Pearl.

He however felt differently and did a bare metal respray in S15 white.

And promptly sold it that week.

The car stayed local, but now featured mangled guards, to fit the 17x10's that featured on my blue car.

And also hit a guard rial, which resulted in a camouflage job. The owner tried to improve the laggy but reliable setup and blew the engine. Then had 3 attempts at rebuilding it, before getting retuned at 195rwkw, eventually swapped for a stock motor and sold it. The car went to central coast, popped up 6 months later with an RB25, and then popped up one final time, sporting a new paint job

R.I.P.

Both of these guys feature in another of my bad financial decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by nopistons View Post
                              Cheers boys. It's been an adventure, some days I forget the fun parts and just concentrate on the misery. Sort of the point of this thread.

Because its an upgrade

At the time, had seen so many sick track cars with S15 dash... the air vents fit most jap 60mm gauges, so allow for a really clean installation. The penny drops when you realise that a tek screwed dash in a track car has no functionality of a standard dash. They simply don't fit. There are gaps around the A-pillars, the dashboard is a completely different shape, the door cars are different shapes, etc. Nothing lines up. A friend I met when parting out the first car in 2010 started an S15 dash swap, and was 'doing it properly'. I think as of 2017 he has finished it. Re-sectioned the door cards to suit S13 doors, repinned all the plugs so the window controls / etc. all work properly, re-wired and relocated the S13 climate control (ADM S15 has peasanty non-climate control air conditioning, but fuck making that work anyway). He plastic welded half of the S13 aircon piping to S15 piping so that all of the air vents are fed as per standard, and everything about the dash works as per factory. Every single piece of the interior was modified and tweaked somehow, to cohesively fit together.

I actually like the S13 dash, everyone says its plain and bland but it seems pure and honest to me.
                              Haha fuck.

Nice cars anyway. Looks like it was fun.
                              Skrrraaaarrrrrk

Comment

Working...
                              X