JZA-Boaty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JZA-Boaty

Have decided to make the leap from lurking in build threads here to posting my own in regards to my JZA80 GZ Supra.. Mine is no where really near the level of other threads here so for that I apologise up front...

Just a bit of background on my Supra history:

A few years ago I had a 1996 Series 2 Black RZ Supra.. had that for about a year or so.. kept it fairly standard just did some bolt on mods.. Unfortunately had to sell it to fund my house build otherwise wouldn't have sold this car..
    Here's how it left my possession:
    Black RZ Supra
    Recaro Interior
    6 Speed Manual/Big Brakes
    CCW Classic Wheels

About a year or so after that started missing having a fun manual car I could take out on the weekend etc so bought a Red 1993 RZ Supra... Only had this one for a few weeks, I bought this sight unseen as it was really cheap and when I received it I discovered it wasn't really the cleanest car and needed a fair bit of work which I wasnt interested in doing at the time (Had newborn children etc) so decided to sell it. I made a pretty significant profit at the time though and it went to a guy who's dream it was to have a TT supra that he was going to restore so that was fine...

I then forgot about jap cars (particularly Supras as they steadily increased in price) for a while and bought some other varied fun cars (E60 M5 etc.)

About 7 or 8 months ago I saw an ad come up for a cheap SZ-R Supra (Essentially a RZ supra with an NA Engine - has 6 speed box etc). I tidied this up a bit had this converted to GTE motor as this was the cheapest way I was going to get into a turbo Supra.. A guy looking for a supra then made an offer to buy it, the price was good, so I decided to sell it...
    Here's how it left my possession:

Out of the blue recently I had a bit of down time browsing the web and decided to have a look on the Supra Forums to see if anybody had updated a build thread etc for some reading.. As I expected there wasnt much activity but there had been one post in the last seven months in that somebody had posted up a WTB for an Aerotop Supra and a dude had replied saying he has had one sitting in the backyard for a decade or so he was considering selling..

Did some googling and found an old thread of his with his mobile number so decided to send him a text in the hope he had the same number (Knew if I pm'd him he probably wouldn't log in for another 7 years given the lack of activity on the forum) Exchanged some messages with the seller, he sent me some pics, it looked like what it was after so sent him a deposit and booked a flight interstate for the weekend to inspect and hopefully come to a deal.

Here are some of the pics of how it sit....

So some details on the Car
    1993 GZ Aerotop (25 Years old this year so Club Permit eligible in VIC - Big Tick)
    Converted from Auto to 6 Speed Manual (Tick)
    Has been sitting for 16 years & Missing a few bits...
    Plans are to keep this long term.. First step is to get it on the road..

Arranged for Get My Ride Towing to meet me there to transport the vehicle home (He was fantastic can definitely recommend him for interstate vehicle transport). He met me there (Adelaide) in the morning and I had the car in the evening (Melbourne)

Some pics on the trailer...

Wow, that's cool. Always had a perverse want for a turbo AeroTop, this ticks many boxes for me personally so will be watching this thread with interest.
    Originally posted by Dimi
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Originally posted by schnitzelburger
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Comment

Nice, great story thus far, Supra's have obviously left an impression on you.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Comment

Cool!
        I keep talking myself out of these things cause can't afford and not enough seats and no real place to put them and I have a bike now and I would like a targa top will all the cool stuff or even DJs white one but you know he needs to fix etc.

That aside will live vicariously through your build! :D
        1975 TX Gemini Coupe - 1991 VN SS - 2017 VF SS Redline Wagon
        YT: https://www.youtube.com/bucketindustries

Comment

Ok. So since I received it I have done the following:

- Sourced a rear spoiler and installed that
          - Sourced some carpet (Was filthy so washed it during the heat wave we were having a week ago and left it out to dry in 40 degrees for three days)
          - Installed a Greddy FMIC
          - Sourced some door trims and installed those
          - Installed the carpet and most of the trim (have not installed drivers yet to give the auto elec some more room to work as per below)
          - Bought a few trim bits and pieces from Amayama to replace dodgy stuff on the car (i.e. had some kind of weird silver rusted out rear wiper) - On this point try to buy new oem replacements parts from here as much as possible as more often than not wreckers in Aus seem to ask prices for poor condition items that are often more than new.. One of the worst parts of Supra ownership
          - Have also been collecting bits and pieces that will need replacement to get on the road again like brake rotors and pads etc

At the moment pretty much waiting for some bits and pieces to arrive for it which I will install next week and then have booked in some time in with an auto electrician next week to a)install a consistently working alarm not the item in there from 1995 that does such a good job it is immobilised even when you don't want it to be and b) reverse the boot install of the battery to have it back in the engine bay (this was done pretty dodgy, i.e. the fuel pump is powered directly off the positive cable, the roof doesn't fit in the boot with the battery, and half the wires are exposed)

Some pics as it sits now, not that exciting but to me it's some progress...

Comment

I thought this was going to be about a jz swapped r33
            I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

Nice.
              I love how there is always a want for what people can't have. RHD Aerotops are rare enough and TT Manual ones arent factory so a nicely converted turbo manual aerotop is rare here and worth $. But in the US, 92% off all TT Manuals are aerotops so everyone goes after the hardtops.
              this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

Nice pickup, has it still got the active lip?

Not sure what it is about Supra's, but if you buy one, more often that not it seems you end up owning a few other ones at some point (myself included - I've had 6 over the years).
                '93 6SPD T04Z 1UZ JZA80 Supra
                '93 6SPD T04Z 2JZ JZA80 Supra

Venom Automotive - Billet Components to suit a variety of Automotive Applications including JZ, UZ & RB Engines.

Comment

This looks actually really neat. Nice find.

Originally posted by no13b_Coupe View Post
                  Cool!
                  I keep talking myself out of these things cause can't afford and not enough seats and no real place to put them and I have a bike now and I would like a targa top will all the cool stuff or even DJs white one but you know he needs to fix etc.

That aside will live vicariously through your build! :D
                  She goes in for panel and paint this week. :-)
                  Originally posted by thebluerx7
                  The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Originally posted by albo View Post
                    Ok. So since I received it I have done the following:

- Sourced a rear spoiler and installed that
                    - Sourced some carpet (Was filthy so washed it during the heat wave we were having a week ago and left it out to dry in 40 degrees for three days)
                    - Installed a Greddy FMIC
                    - Sourced some door trims and installed those
                    - Installed the carpet and most of the trim (have not installed drivers yet to give the auto elec some more room to work as per below)
                    - Bought a few trim bits and pieces from Amayama to replace dodgy stuff on the car (i.e. had some kind of weird silver rusted out rear wiper) - On this point try to buy new oem replacements parts from here as much as possible as more often than not wreckers in Aus seem to ask prices for poor condition items that are often more than new.. One of the worst parts of Supra ownership
                    - Have also been collecting bits and pieces that will need replacement to get on the road again like brake rotors and pads etc

At the moment pretty much waiting for some bits and pieces to arrive for it which I will install next week and then have booked in some time in with an auto electrician next week to a)install a consistently working alarm not the item in there from 1995 that does such a good job it is immobilised even when you don't want it to be and b) reverse the boot install of the battery to have it back in the engine bay (this was done pretty dodgy, i.e. the fuel pump is powered directly off the positive cable, the roof doesn't fit in the boot with the battery, and half the wires are exposed)

Some pics as it sits now, not that exciting but to me it's some progress...

What is the blue, green, red thingy?
                    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster, Clock Lobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                      What is the blue, green, red thingy?
                      It had an Omori boost gauge in it which I have half removed. The blue/green/red switches are to control the led colouring behind the gauge which I'll also be removing.

Going to run an E-Boost 2 in place of the clock as a boost gauge/controller once I can find one that's not $700

Comment

This is my definition of supra-boat
                        Attached Files
                        The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

moaar updates!
                          And build threads on your other 28 odd cars

Comment

Comment

What brand bumper spray did you use? I need to strip and redo mine, it's got a bad enamel paint job :knock:

Comment

Working...
                              X