Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

"takai Just Wants To Have Fun" - NA MX5

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm, sometimes I think i will need one of those little poles with an orange flag on the end:

Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

heh, reminds me of when i bought my mx5 and was driving it home at night in pissing rain.

sitting on the hwy and see something coming up on my right to pass, and i think whats this beast trying to get by, it was a honda accord.
      www.holditflat.com

Comment

So this is what happens when you have a couple of months to accumulate parts before being able to start work on the car, pretty much 90% of the parts for the initial build have arrived.

Just waiting on time to be able to get stuck into it. Knocking off a few other little jobs to clear out stuff before getting into it, and hopefully can bottle up the 140L of barrel aged beers that is currently taking up floor space between kegs and the empty bottles that need to be filled.

But hopefully can get into it this weekend.

Until then, anyone able to pick the problem with this sucker?
        Chris
        ------
        The new nugget
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

If you don't mind saying, specs on the rims, how much and who from?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzler View Post
            If you don't mind saying, specs on the rims, how much and who from?

Cheers
            Avanti Storm S1 15x8 +20 and from a US eBay store. $700 delivered.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
              Until then, anyone able to pick the problem with this sucker?
              Top elbow is above the cap?
              Cap appears to be non pressure venting?
              "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
                Top elbow is above the cap?
                Cap appears to be non pressure venting?
                Non pressure venting, and no way to suck coolant back into the system when it is cooling down. Basically makes the coolant overflow into a pressurised system.
                Chris
                ------
                The new nugget

Comment

Well that lot should keep you busy for a while :)

I'm just trying to find enough time to fit a couple of seats and a harness!
                  2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
                  2004 MX5 SE Turbo
                  2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

Originally posted by TCR View Post
                    Well that lot should keep you busy for a while :)

I'm just trying to find enough time to fit a couple of seats and a harness!
                    Haha yeah, plus being away with work a few times will mean that the going is slow. Hopefully getting started tomorrow afternoon though in the last of my time in lieu.
                    Chris
                    ------
                    The new nugget

Comment

So all this talk about $200 turbos and skids in Al's undies has got me thinking about turbroing this thing one day.

Looking at the Bay of E turns up this thing: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GT25-GT2...53.m1438.l2649

and a bloody cheap turbro manifold
                      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/cast-iro...53.m1438.l2649

I cant remember all the flow rates and housing sizes for tardbros, I have been playing with high comp NA engines and ITBs that go dorp dorp for too long. Anyone want to opinionate as to whether this is about the right size?
                      Chris
                      ------
                      The new nugget

Comment

Its about the right size but i'd rather go a 2nd hand Garrett GT2560 off an S14/S15. Oem quality, good for up to 200rwkw on 98 220 on e85 and commonly available cheap on ebay, scumtree etc. There are bush and bb versions available, bb would obviously be a touch better.

Comment

Depending on what the engine builder decided to run for on my SR20 now the prodsports rules have been freed up, I should a couple of turbos up for sale soon.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

You would have been better off buying a better car. This is the expensive way to do it.
                            NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
                            NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
                            VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

Originally posted by lightyear View Post
                              You would have been better off buying a better car. This is the expensive way to do it.
                              Pfft. Fun way to do it you mean. I donít want someone elseís project.

Only regret was not buying a white one.

For a hint of why I bought this nugget look at my past build threads. There is something fun as satisfying about taking a stock car and building it the way you want to.
                              Chris
                              ------
                              The new nugget

Comment

Had a bit of time between the rain on Saturday arvo, so i fitted up the wheels (mainly to get them out of the garage)

Need to let them settle a bit.

Then i started doing some general automotive archaeology:

Spare chips and change under the seat.

Half a central locking system

Someone who actually cared about their car audio install:

And someone who didnt care about the concept of gaskets:

Finally the reason i bought Hella Supertones

Air compressed truck horn thing that takes about 2-3s to charge before it makes any noise. Sure, its loud, but that soccermum in the people mover has already run over the bonnet by the time it makes any noise.

Then it started pouring again, so i shifted to cleaning the garage instead to bring it inside.

But got distracted, and mocked up this one:

Today i finished cleaning the garage up, so i could bring the car in, and then finished off a basic bracket for the mirror:

3mm Alu is a bit overkill for it though, so i might make it again out of something thinner. Also not sure on how i want to finish it, whether it is brushed or painted black, or even covered in carbon vinyl. Whichever option, it is already a damn sight better than the stock mirrors that drooped over every bump (drivers side), or folded up at 80km/h (passenger). Plus you can already see more out of them as they sit at a much better location.

Finally i pulled the rear garnish off to see if i can fix up the number plate bracket, and perhaps fix the cracked bit.

Now it is in the garage i will be able to do the cage and other bits without having to put the soft top up and down every 30s when the showers come over. Plus I figure I may as well just pull the dash out to fix that at the same time as rewiring a few bits and fixing the central locking. Its certainly a damn sight easier to do that than being contorted around to get up under the dash.
                                Chris
                                ------
                                The new nugget

Comment

Working...
                                X