Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"takai Just Wants To Have Fun" - NA MX5

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    "takai Just Wants To Have Fun" - NA MX5

    As some probably noticed i was looking around for an old NA MX5 to put on club reg as a mixed occasional drive and a track car now that the AE86 is about to go to a new home. Well last weekend i went and looked at this one, and today i picked it up, and put it through RWC with spare bits from the seller. As it sits it has NB stock struts, hence the rally car look







    Pretty stock for now, at least to get it through RWC. Reasonable condition, little bit tatty in places, but seems quite mechanically solid. Also picked up a set of Tein coilovers for it, and the hard top at the same time. Have some Avanti Storm's winging their way over from the US for it (sorry Brendan, had already ordered them), and probably pick up a roll cage for it from Brown Davis eventually. Has an NB soft top under the hardtop too, so need one of the NB roll cages. Kind of wanted a black hard top, but at the price that this one was offered for it was a good deal.

    Other than that the main things that need to be done are just maintenance. Water pump/timing belt, full fluids change etc etc. Should all be pretty easy to do, especially as its all so open and easy to get at everything.

    First things first though, time to get club reg on it.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

    #2
    Assume you have seen the MX5 Brown Davis roll bar for sale in the general spare parts section?

    Looking forward to the details of your build.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by archie1 View Post
      Assume you have seen the MX5 Brown Davis roll bar for sale in the general spare parts section?

      Looking forward to the details of your build.

      Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
      Yeah. I knew ahitbreak was selling it. But this has an NB soft top on it too and the NA roll bars donít work with the glass NB tops. Iíll have to get an NB bar for it.
      Chris
      ------
      The new nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

      Comment


        #4
        Get rid of the soft top. You can drive without a roof if there is a chance it won't rain before you get home.

        Even if your not doing the fastest lap times, it's still a lot of fun driving the car as fast as you possibly can on the track. Trying to get every bit available the car has to offer.
        NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
        NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
        VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by lightyear View Post
          Get rid of the soft top. You can drive without a roof if there is a chance it won't rain before you get home.

          Even if your not doing the fastest lap times, it's still a lot of fun driving the car as fast as you possibly can on the track. Trying to get every bit available the car has to offer.
          Nah. Planning to keep the soft top, even if it lives on top of the shelving in the garage. That way I can sell it as a soft top rather than a hard if it comes to it. Just makes sense to get an NB roll bar as it will work with both the soft and hard tops, not just the hardtop. Willing to pay the extra for flexibility.

          But yeah. Looking forward to getting some laps in.
          Chris
          ------
          The new nugget
          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

          Comment


            #6
            How much would having the NB soft top fitted effect lap times though?
            Or is that one of those questions everyone knows the answer too but no one has actually proven it?
            Not having a dig at anyone, just curious because MX5 owners seem to be the only ones who talk about it.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
              How much would having the NB soft top fitted effect lap times though?
              Or is that one of those questions everyone knows the answer too but no one has actually proven it?
              Not having a dig at anyone, just curious because MX5 owners seem to be the only ones who talk about it.
              Itís something like 20-25kg or dead weight really. So if you are running the hard top it makes sense to take the soft top out too.
              Chris
              ------
              The new nugget
              I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

              Comment


                #8
                Yeah, fair point. I'd forgotten how heavy they actually are.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Also, really need to replace the wing mirrors. Someone has basically adjusted the passenger one to look at the kerb, while the drivers one means i can only see other people's tyres. Bloody useless, plus from the forums the bolts tend to snap or come loose all the time.

                  I have a set of RaceTech wing mirrors around somewhere that i might see if i can fab up some brackets to put on.
                  Chris
                  ------
                  The new nugget
                  I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I was suggesting to remove the soft top so you don't have to worry about the NB rollbar. Brendan has a rollbar that will fit. Msg him, it's from an NB. I always remove the soft top as its not needed. It does weigh about 25kgs. And the hardtop is about the same. So that's 50kgs up high in the car. Seeing as this car isn't about lap times, it doesn't matter what it weighs.
                    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
                    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
                    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by lightyear View Post
                      I was suggesting to remove the soft top so you don't have to worry about the NB rollbar. Brendan has a rollbar that will fit. Msg him, it's from an NB. I always remove the soft top as its not needed. It does weigh about 25kgs. And the hardtop is about the same. So that's 50kgs up high in the car. Seeing as this car isn't about lap times, it doesn't matter what it weighs.
                      Yeah, this is more about just compatibility down the line, in case i want to run the soft top for some reason.

                      Looking at tyres now, havent bought grippy road tyres for ages... but glad im not spending $350 a tyre on A050s...
                      Chris
                      ------
                      The new nugget
                      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I have RS4's. They feel great on the track, and seem to wear well. They still looks almost new after doing almost 2 track days plus some road driving.
                        NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
                        NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
                        VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by takai View Post
                          Yeah, this is more about just compatibility down the line, in case i want to run the soft top for some reason.
                          I did that, kept it for a while, pulled it out, and the reason to keep it never came.
                          www.markpakula.com
                          2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
                          2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
                          2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
                          2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by lightyear View Post
                            I have RS4's. They feel great on the track, and seem to wear well. They still looks almost new after doing almost 2 track days plus some road driving.
                            What's your overall impression of the RS4s in comparison to other contenders? Considering some 225/45/15 to go on my Advanti Storm S1 wheels.
                            2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
                            2004 MX5 SE Turbo
                            2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

                            Comment


                              #15
                              How do you find it compared to the AE86? A mate had an NA for a while and I didn't dig it, engine didn't want to rev, gearbox was funny etc, didn't really fit into it either. He liked it (he also had an AE86 before the MX5) so maybe it just took some getting used to. Great fun driving around at night with the top down once you get over the uncomfortability of being one of two blokes in an MX5 with the top down. (oo er) I reckon they would be much more fun with a 4AGE and T50.

                              Originally posted by takai View Post
                              Looking at tyres now, havent bought grippy road tyres for ages... but glad im not spending $350 a tyre on A050s...
                              RE003s or proper grippy tyres? good opportunity to step up to 15s, these would be pretty hilarious on it https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4PCS-JUN...53.m1438.l2649

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X