No announcement yet.

1UZ Rodeo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you talking about rear mount turbo ...

I've had one on my ute for 9 years.

Mine uses the turbowerx pump as a return.
    Biggest thing is drain into a sump that can breath before going to scavenge pump.

I have a s369exe pushing into a 355 holden without intercooler up to around 16psi.

Granted I use water/metho injection as a safety

Even without that max it has seen is around 50c or ~25 above ambient
    Last edited by Morcs; 14-09-21, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Morcs View Post
      Biggest thing is drain into a sump that can breath before going to scavenge pump.
      Yeah I see people connecting them straight to the fucking turbo, they are positive displacement gear pumps - What goes in must go out.
      I can only imagine they pull a pretty hard vacuum on the turbo seal and make a lot of noise cavitating trying to pull oil through the turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by dnegative View Post

Yeah I see people connecting them straight to the fucking turbo, they are positive displacement gear pumps - What goes in must go out.
        I can only imagine they pull a pretty hard vacuum on the turbo seal and make a lot of noise cavitating trying to pull oil through the turbo.
        Yep exactly

The issue is also the oil is highly aerated/ foamy thats what i put it down to anyway and does not want to pump very well causing the seals to leak /smoke (backed up) hence sump and large drain setup on any turbo. From the fast rotating shaft etc

Timer is also a good idea. I got mine so that it runs on for 30secs after fuel pump shuts off but not really beneficial its just about when pump changes note and air bubbles sounds stop in my system just gives it a head start when the oil is thicker after a cold start cant hurt as just a relay swap IMO.

Comment

I've got a couple of Redarc TIM05's from a job long since gone which will do the job; Probably run the W2A pump and oil pump for 10 seconds after shutdown. Check valve in the turbo supply should limit the amount of oil after shutdown.
          How big is your sump? Thinking of using some aluminum pipe with end caps welded on, probably 300-500ml in capacity angled down towards the pump. Large AN10/12 inlet and outlets with a 1/8 barb running to a breather.
          Last edited by dnegative; 14-09-21, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dnegative View Post
            I've got a couple of Redarc TIM05's from a job long since gone which will do the job; Probably run the W2A pump and oil pump for 10 seconds after shutdown. Check valve in the turbo supply should limit the amount of oil after shutdown.
            How big is your sump? Thinking of using some aluminum pipe with end caps welded on, probably 300-500ml in capacity angled down towards the pump. Large AN10/12 inlet and outlets with a 1/8 barb running to a breather.
            Check valve nope.
            I just run a full 4an line through an inline filter from speedflow for turbo feed.

I run a 10an for drain to the sump which is ~200mm long 2inch exhaust tubing angled down for a 10an scavenge pump pick up point
            Breather i just used a brass sintered pneumatic silencer that is higher then turbo feed for the breather using some random barbed fittings i found in the drawer silencer is 1/8 though

Return from pump is just some 3/8 steel bundy line with 6an fittings brazed on each end which just goes to the engine sump and from the pump.

It really is simple.

if you run a 5/16 or 8 mm feed / return line up an back it would be fine to save on purchasing extra rolls of tubing.

Last edited by Morcs; 15-09-21, 12:43 AM.

Comment

I know when I remove the 1/8 plug where I've teed oil from it drains a solid 500ml and that's without what will be in the line - I suspect it will be a fairly slow gravity drain through the turbo into the sump hence why I went with the 1.5psi check valve in line; Also will keep the line charged with oil for startup.
              I'm running a larger return than I really need, 5/8, but it wont hurt anything.

I'm on the right path, proof will be in the pudding when I get it all running and put some miles on it. I know I'll have to change elements of it, I wont get it all right but I think I've avoided the howlers so to speak.
              Plan is to smash it mostly out this weekend, pending a few things in the mail.

Comment

I figure it is just a high mount turbo with a scavenge pump moving the used oil instead of drain in into sump.

I don't doubt the check valve is going to work fine

Never seen check valve in an oem application on a high mount turbo scenario.

Often thought the turbosmart pressure reg thingy would be a good idea.

But kiss principle and all that.

Comment

Foamy has been doing me lots of solids, also making solid mounts for things

Plan is to get the exhaust upto the turbo done tomorrow along with the oil system. Hopefully be able to start it and see how the pump goes.
                  Waiting on Auspost for some silicone bends to make the turbo intake; Also waiting on them to deliver a Chinese contraption that is defiantly not EPA approved.

Its quite possible it will be a leaky cunt of a thing and will end up in the bin but switching between a muffler and a straight pipe off the turbo is worth a try.

Comment

Buy one from AES when that shits the bed.

Comment

Got a fair bit done today.
                      Oil system is done
                      Exhaust has been made to the turbo, all tacked up sans one flange
                      Charge piping done and tacked upto the intercooler

Running the air filter in the toolbox behind the turbo - Waiting on some silicone bends to get it done. Will have louvers on the front on the box, should work well.
                      Foamy will finish the rest of the charge piping hopefully this week, I apparently have to holesaw the inner fender cause its my car but

All the mint fab work is his, I made the exhaust but so I'm not completely useless
                      Last edited by dnegative; 18-09-21, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Probably late to the party, but there's a S366 behind my desk at the shop that could sent to Camford at a discounted rate. Should the 200 ever be deemed unsatisfactory

Comment

Originally posted by nopistons View Post
                            Probably late to the party, but there's a S366 behind my desk at the shop that could sent to Camford at a discounted rate. Should the 200 ever be deemed unsatisfactory
                            pls dont give him ideas this thing is already going to be terrifying
                            1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

Rear exhaust done, china valve fitted
                              Hole cut in the wheel well for the charge pipe

One segment of piping left to make
                              Need to route the intake piping when those bends turn up
                              Plumb the intercooler water lines and pump - Waiting on a china 2L aluminium tank.

Hopefully will get all of that done this week; I know Saturday will be spent welding up all the piping, painting it, sorting the wiring and hopefully getting the intake sorted.
                              Definitely have it started but - Hope it works

Comment

1UZ remote turbo kit

Started it tonight, no leaks, seems to run well - Didn't drive it but let it get hot on the hoist for 20 minutes to see what happens. The oil pump sounds like a 044 when cold, nearly silent when things warm up so very happy there.
                                Sounds pretty roudy with the valve open on the exhaust, it does leak a little but its not too bad.
                                Turbo spins at idle and makes turbo noises when you rev it and let off so I guess it should provide boost.

W2A intercooler is not plumbed yet, its literally some hoses, mount the tank and that's it. Pump is wired and mounted.
                                Needs some P clamps of the charge piping in places
                                Need a vacuum line run to my old school greddy boost controller that I've had sitting around for 10 years - Old Profec B unit
                                Needs some heat shield around the exhaust next to the return pump
                                Need to make the turbo intake, still waiting on fucking hoses to arrive in the mail, been 2 weeks now.

All in all, 90% done.
                                Finish the above, send it for a dyno tune and see how well it all works and or if my clutch/injectors/headgaskets are shit.

Comment

Working...
                                X