OLD 124 - Back to basics

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I plugged up the aerial hole last night and mounted the GPS receiver for the Microtech dash near it with the cable feeding through a hole drilled in the blanking plug. I may end up mounting it on the rear parcel shelf yet so itís less visible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6A1A85E9-BD24-44F7-89E6-6AF1F2C45FAD.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	6619848Click image for larger version

Name:	91E23549-876A-4538-9C30-C78C5DA4613F.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	6619849

I also started balancing the ITBs. Took out the catch can, airbox and ram tubes so I could see the throttle blades. The rear TB was cracked open about 3 times more than the front, hence the lumpiness. Zeroed all throttle bleeds, backed the balancer screws right off then the main idle screw so all blades were shut. Then adjusted up main throttle screw and kicked it in the guts. Wound the balancer screws in until there was light engagement with the stops. Way better, about 19kg/h on the fronts, 20 on the reads and much, much smoother. Took a turn out of the main idle screw so it idles at 900-1000, seems to be the happy spot. In the interests of not pissing off the neighbours too much I called it there. Iíll back the rear body off a smidge and have more of a fiddle on Friday morning to get them all bang on.

Itís getting up to temp too quick, probably has air in the system so need to sort that. Thermo fan also has a 10mm gap to radiator, so will get some foam today for that.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Pretty happy with the ITB balance now. Need to reverse the polarity on the thermo fan and replace the WB02 and then it should be ready for the Hoff to page up.

Attached Files

My Italian 510

Comment

I can recommend Tim for all your reverse polarity needs.
        The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Comment

Wow. How had I missed this. Tim.... Making FIAT's reliable? Awesome build Sam. Should sing a sweet song.

Comment

This is awesome Sam, can't wait to see her out n about.
            Originally posted by thebluerx7
            The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Over the weekend i reversed the polarity of the fan so it runs the right way. Stays consistently between 92 and 95 now. I also cleaned up and painted a spare gear stick I had lying around, it’s about 1” longer and more suitable than the 124 coupe one that was on there. Removed the extra rubber gear boot and fitted a leather boot, I can select reverse without it popping out now. New WB02 should arrive from Golebys early this week and then it’s ready for Scott to give it a tune.

A vid of scrolling through the dash, it’s an angry little bastard. Should calm down a bit once tuned.

https://youtu.be/RWiFvp1l5DU">https://youtu.be/RWiFvp1l5DU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="873" height="525">

My Italian 510

Comment

This went on the strainers last night with Scott. Unfortunately not terribly smooth run. Once a baseline was in had to pull the inlet apart again and re-balance the ITBS. As there was zero timing and lots of fuel before that was keeping the idle down, with that changed it wanted to idle at 3,000. That was sorted pretty quickly.

But, it was really strong through the mid-range and then plateau'd at 5,500. It really should be pretty good from 4,500-8000 with peak ~7,500. Timing was doing nothing, 23-30 up top made little difference. Consequently it was 20-30hp down on expectations and previous experience. It made a peak of 118hp (lol!) at 5,500, should be more like 150 @ 7,500. Out on the road it just felt a little lazy, it'd still pull to 7,500 but not strong. My 125 with a similar (though not as aggressive) motor and 200kgs more weight went a lot harder.

So I'm convinced cam timing is out. There was a little issue when setting up TDC where the intake cam wheel slipped some teeth. Fortunately it was all marked and we brought it back to those marks. But I'm sure now that we're still a tooth out. Trouble with Lampredi twin cams is you can be a tooth out and the thing still idles perfectly fine and pulls ok in the mid range, they just fall over really quickly.

Plus side...it sounds tits... If I get a chance I'll speak to engine builder today and get it down to him.

Other news, it's getting too hot. Not the only cause, but tt has an aftermarket alloy water pump pulley and alternator pulley. At cruise temp starts creeping up, drop it down a gear and temp goes down...

My Italian 510

Comment

Spoke with engine builder before, he's confirming my suspicions. Peak power should be 6800-7200 and it should still be making good power at 8,000, start to come on at 4,500. It should not be strong sub 3,000, lol. I had only started explaining symptoms when he said "you didn't get the cam timing back to where it should be". Timing up top not changing anything was confirmation for him. So car goes down to him next Wednesday and he's going to start from scratch timing it up. Then back to Scott's.

I'm also going to dig out a standard sized water pump pulley.

My Italian 510

Comment

my bad

Comment

Originally posted by tim510 View Post
                      my bad
                      No dramas at all mate, these things happen.

My Italian 510

Comment

Dropped the car off to the engine builder this morning so he can get the cam timing sorted, should be ready tomorrow but I'm unlikely to be able to pick it up before next week.

My Italian 510

Comment

So both inlet and exhaust cams were advanced one tooth. No wonder!

My Italian 510

Comment

I picked the car up yesterday and dropped it straight off to the Hoff for another run on the strainers. Much better, strong through to 7500, bit of a dip after that to 8000. I was hoping for 140-150 on this dyno and got to 138.

Happy with that cause I’ve also found out the headers I have on there are not what I thought they were, Fiatorque ones which are the duck’s nuts and I’ve run previously. Shot FT pics of them and they confirmed they definitely aren’t there’s and reckon the factory cast 4-2-1 would probably flow better. So that may explain the slight dip after 7500, it certainly has enough cam for 8000. Anyways, a mate has 124 FT headers lying around so they’ll go on along with the flex/e85 tune and we’ll see if we can hit that 150 and pull strongly to 8000.

Really happy with how how it goes, takes me back 15 years and sounds sensational. A quick sound clip of a blat to 7000 on a private road in Mexico. And has a meaty idle.

My Italian 510

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	iL9oWIE.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	7081107
                              Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

keen for a drive to kyogle?

Comment