Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OLD 124 - Back to basics

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    As an MX5 owner its looks like you are well used to having a loose rear end. xox

    Most of the lap done in the one gear. Nice.
    The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

    when all else fails, hit it harder.

    Comment


      Fuck that looks like a barrel of laughs to drive! Killer build!
      Emo 6 - Track
      '74 Mazda 808 - Daily/Resto project [SOLD]
      2010 Swift Sport of boredom

      Comment


        Cheers guys. I've had a little more time to think lately and I can't help but think I've strayed off course a little, particularly as the MX5 is really now the track bitch. This is meant to be the fun toy that the family can cruise in and I can take to the odd track day, now more the above autocross type fun events than risking it at Lakeside. On top of that, I think I'm just getting older and what used to not worry me in the slightest is now making me yell at clouds. A few things are tipping it over the pleasant street toy category:

        1) Fuel pump noise. While you can't really hear it over the induction noise when you're moving, when you're idling it is fucking crazy loud. I bought the DW internal pump surge to alleviate this problem, it hasn't. Both the Carter lift pump and the DW pump are just silly. I've rubber mounted both the surge tank and the fuel system bracket, I've wrapped the Carter in a stubby cooler and while it has helped very slightly it's no where near enough. I'd like to be able to converse with people, at least when stopped at the lights.

        I've thought about running a internally baffled fuel cell with internal pump. This solves two issues (tank capacity and noise) but creates another, loosing most of the boot space in a street car. It's also an expensive exercise. The other option I've considered is modifying the existing tank and using an internal pump with a Holley Hydramat. This has merit, less costly and frees up boot space. But it also makes all the expense I've gone to with the current set up redundant. So...

        Because street car I'm considering adding sound deadening mat to the top shelf of boot area, rear seat back and rear parcel shelf. Potentially to the rest of the boot floor. Then take it to a trimmer's and get a brown boot carpet made up that goes front to back and under the current fuel system and battery set up. I'd be hoping that will shut it all up from the cabin enough and look nice and neat. A pretty cool juxtaposition of old school cool with some made looking fuel system fab.

        2) Steering weight. With the added camber and the semi slicks it's no longer a pleasant, easy to throw around car. This should be an easy fix, bolt the magnesium Abarth Cromadora CD30s back on with the street tyres. They weigh ~4kgs too. Buuuuuttt it just looks so tits on the reproduction Cromadora 13x7" CD66s... I'm half tempted to buy another set of the CD66s in a staggered set up and stretch the road Hankooks on to them, 13x7" front, 13x8" rear. But the reproduction wheels are alloy, not magnesium, and are double the weight. What effect this ultimately has on steering weight I do not know. And it's realistically a needlessly expensive option. A left of field option is running the semis on the magnesium CD30s, however they're only 5.5" wide, probably too narrow to run the fat (for the advertised size)185/60/13s?

        3) Race seat. While it looks kind of cool, it's functional and it doesn't really make entry and exit hard, it's also a bit of a wank. The factory low backs are pretty cool. This is a no cost option, just bolt the standard seat in, bolt race seats in for events.

        Then the other things that need doing:
        • dent taken out of beaver panel
        • a couple of rust bubbles repaired
        • weld up now unused holes in bay
        • a proper LSD
        • brake booster removal
        • have CES make up some decent extractors for it
        Lots of rambling but I'm interested in you opinion guys, particularly the sound deadening, if it will work well enough.

        Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

        My Italian 510

        Comment


          I have a ridiculously loud 044 and after having looked at a few other RX's and talking to a couple of shops have decided that in tank pump's are the only real solution to shut them up properly. Other sound deadening may help a bit but that buzzing will still be there idling away at lights etc. Custom tanks with internal pumps seems to have become the norm in Sydney rotor world at least. Doesn't mean you can't trim the boot nicely though - will still look nice!

          Comment


            Yeah, I figure if I trim the boot and add sound deadner, at best it solves the issue to my satisfaction. At worst I still have to do the Hydramat internal pump solution, but I still end up with a nicely trimmed boot.

            Marv has given me some good advice re the Car Builders mat and is pretty confident it will suit my needs, so I'll do that first.
            Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

            My Italian 510

            Comment


              Have just ordered from Car Builders:
              Sound Deadener - Stage 1 - 1 Box - 1.8 - OEM Black + Application Roller
              Mass Noise Liner LITE - [1 sheet at 1500mm x 1000mm]
              Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

              My Italian 510

              Comment


                When I first brought Migaloo home I decided that I would strip the interior and add some sound deadening stuff, as it was a pretty noisy place to be. I added a double layer of underlay ( furniture removal rugs ) over the floorpan and under trim in the boot. Made a bit of an improvement, but it was never gonna be Lexus like with track suspension components under it, and a rattly twin plate. Fast forward a few years and it now runs 3 walbro 460's after the new engine build.

                I use Airpods and Metallica on Spotify when I need a break from the mechanical noise.

                Stuff like Dynamat audio sheeting or similar will help a lot if you put on all metal surfaces in the cabin and door internal panels.
                The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

                when all else fails, hit it harder.

                Comment


                  I put Dynamatt anywhere I could on the SV5000 to quieten in down on the inside and it made a decent reduction.
                  CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

                  Comment


                    Haven’t commented on this yet, but it is an awesome little car. It gives me some inspiration for my 131, I would like to to be a slighter newer version of this. Minus the funky colour though.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by boosted View Post
                      Haven’t commented on this yet, but it is an awesome little car. It gives me some inspiration for my 131, I would like to to be a slighter newer version of this. Minus the funky colour though.
                      It's a factory 131 colour, Verde 358. You should start a thread on the 131.
                      Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

                      My Italian 510

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Guido View Post

                        It's a factory 131 colour, Verde 358. You should start a thread on the 131.
                        Suits the 124, mine is boring old Bianco Corfu. They look ok in white though.

                        I’ll do a thread when I get back in to it. I was planning on building a new shed at my place right now. but the current events have stuffed that up for me.
                        Last edited by boosted; 29-03-20, 06:07 PM.

                        Comment


                          Edelbrock make an underhood surge tank with an internal high pressure fuel pump for use with their TBI bolt on efi conversion gear. The idea is that when you do your conversion you retain the original block mounted low pressure pump as a lift pump to this thing. I think it has a returnless regulator built in as well...

                          A mate was running one in his truck and I couldn't specifically hear it at all (although that thing makes a lot of other noise as well)

                          https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-36032?

                          ​​​​​​​No idea how well they handle being mounted remotely (ie. If you don't actually want it under the bonnet), and you'd still have to find a quiet lift pump (assuming your mechanical pump is long gone), but I like them in theory.
                          Originally posted by myshortyboomba
                          I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

                          you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by lickmyleftone View Post
                            When I first brought Migaloo home I decided that I would strip the interior and add some sound deadening stuff, as it was a pretty noisy place to be. I added a double layer of underlay ( furniture removal rugs ) over the floorpan and under trim in the boot. Made a bit of an improvement, but it was never gonna be Lexus like with track suspension components under it, and a rattly twin plate. Fast forward a few years and it now runs 3 walbro 460's after the new engine build.

                            I use Airpods and Metallica on Spotify when I need a break from the mechanical noise.

                            Stuff like Dynamat audio sheeting or similar will help a lot if you put on all metal surfaces in the cabin and door internal panels.
                            Yep mate, currently the only stereo is 50mm ITBs. But I've just come up with an idea on how to mount my Bose 360 speaker. That way it's fully removable, light, and probably better sound than spending $1k on a traditional stereo.
                            Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

                            My Italian 510

                            Comment


                              Click image for larger version

Name:	F3C3C2B3-D82B-4B03-BB18-8D943E74C4C3.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	7127864 Stereo install done! The Bose 360 has an m6 boss, removed the centre console and there was already an appropriately sized hole. So used an M6 bolt, loctite red a nut on the other end of the console, used an old real estate sign cut down and painted as a spacer/stabiliser and screw on the speaker. Pumps loud and easily removable. And no cost.
                              Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

                              My Italian 510

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Fraud View Post
                                Edelbrock make an underhood surge tank with an internal high pressure fuel pump for use with their TBI bolt on efi conversion gear. The idea is that when you do your conversion you retain the original block mounted low pressure pump as a lift pump to this thing. I think it has a returnless regulator built in as well...

                                A mate was running one in his truck and I couldn't specifically hear it at all (although that thing makes a lot of other noise as well)

                                https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-36032?

                                ​​​​​​​No idea how well they handle being mounted remotely (ie. If you don't actually want it under the bonnet), and you'd still have to find a quiet lift pump (assuming your mechanical pump is long gone), but I like them in theory.
                                Hey mate, the lift pump is contributing to a good portion of it and I don't want to re-engineer the everything. I'm pretty confident in going forward with the deadener. How are you guys going? Seattle has been pretty hard hit yeah?
                                Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

                                My Italian 510

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X