Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OLD 124 - Back to basics

As a bit of a background I recently sold my 131 sports sedan: http://www.performanceforums.com/for...s-Sedan/page52

After restoring it and taking it to the track a bunch of times I just could not live with the $ to fun ratio. Every time I wanted to drive it there was a $250 entry fee, not to mention the $2.5k on a set of rubber that would go off not long after one meet.

The most fun Iíve ever had was with my old 125 when it had a tough atmo motor on ITBs and was used in street sprints, hill climbs, 1000s of laps at various tracks and just general shenanigans.

I decided thatís what I need to get back to. While I contemplated Mx5s and theyíre very capable...well...I just prefer women. Before I'd even sold the SS Iíd had long chats with some close mates about this direction I should be going in. One of them is a retired Fiat mechanic and owned a 124 Special T, Iíve known the car for 20+ years through previous owners and itís fitted the bill perfectly. So a deal was done.

Special Ts never came to Aus, this one was a private import some 40 odd years ago. It was restored 20 odd years ago and painted this colour which is an OEM Fiat 131 colour. Careful attention was paid to suspension geometry and spring rates to make it a fun and pointy road car.

Currently it has a Ritmo Abarth 130tc 2 litre with a set of pipes and mappable ignition, custom winged and baffled sump, recently rebuilt Colloti 5 speed and a 4.3 LSD. Suspension consists of near factory height, custom valved Konis and all new control arms and bushes. Itís rolling on real (not the replica) 124CSA Abarth Cromadore CD30s with one as a spare.

The car is an absolute barrel of laughs to drive. It goes exactly where you point it and has bloody good traction. You can feel how light it is, it's so well set up for the road. The Ritmo Abarth motor is a grunter, sounds awesome, pulls very well from 2,000rpm but it's all over by 6,250rpm.
    Attached Files
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Reasonable skid in that video, 5/7.

Speaking of skids, I look forward to seeing this in a few weeks, skidding. Take my like!

Comment

So what are the plans? Well really, to just have heaps of fun doing sprints, hillclimbs, bitumen motorkhanas and being able to jump in the car and drive whenever I want. In my 20+ years messing with these things I have amassed some cool stuff. This motor has done a lot of work so I'm building up a hot 2litre with stuff I have lying around; big valve head, mahoosive Wade cams, Abarth manifold, 2 litre bottom end etc etc. Will go together with high comp (~10.8:1) good quality cast pistons, forged rods and some 45 DCOEs. Will be putting the motor together with the help of some mates.
      Attached Files

My Italian 510

Comment

Nice move! And looks like a nice thing too.
        Motorsport is a disease, where poverty is the only cure
        The ego writes cheques that skill can't cash - DJ

Comment

Carbs cost more than EFI and are rarely even close to the same power delivery or driving quality.
          Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

Yeah but webers are cool and all is forgiven with the induction noise they make.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Bullshit. I was going ITBs (as I have done so before on a similar motor), thereís over $4-5k in it all said and done. I can have new pair of Webers set up as has been done on many a motor like this for $1200 before dyno time. But I donít need to as a mate has a pair heís loaning to me. On that motor there was 1hp more in peak between 48mm ITBs and 45mm DCOEs with 38 chokes, same dyno. Of course there was more mid with injection but not enough to justify the price at this stage.

This is all about bang for buck, Iíve done the sums and isnít there for injection at this stage. That $4-5k will get me far more time around Lakeside by spending it on shocks or, even more so, many sets of tyres and seat time.

My Italian 510

Comment

First things I had to do were to get rid of all the stickers and put a nice, period wheel on it. Always been a massive fan of the Momo Prototipo, much better!
                Attached Files

My Italian 510

Comment

Geez that looks nice Sam.
                  Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

This is awesome ! Carry on.
                    Surprised with the EFI cheaper than carbs comment too.

Comment

Odd question, how wide is your garage? If we build our next place it wont have room for a shed, so I'm resigned to having a workable garage and yours looks pretty useful.

Ps new bus looks great!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                      Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Saw the thread title and got excited thinking you bought an AC, or even a Spider. But this is just as cool.
                        Didn't realise that's a factory colour, one of the guys at Car Torque had a 131 wagon that colour, I always though it was something he came up with since I've never seen another 131 that colour. Looks abit softer than the green used on the Stratos road cars.

Comment

Yeah itís a factory 131 colour, not from a 124. The sedans and wagons Iíve always preferred over the coupes, lighter, shorter wheelbase and I just like sedans.

Iím not saying ITBs wonít be done down the track, they just donít make financial sense at all at the moment. I likely will if I end up going down the 16v head route with 13+:1 comp. For the time being I just want to use up the hot bits that I have and have shitloads of cheap, simple fun.

My Italian 510

Comment

Originally posted by da9jeff View Post
                            Odd question, how wide is your garage? If we build our next place it wont have room for a shed, so I'm resigned to having a workable garage and yours looks pretty useful.

Ps new bus looks great!

Itís 6x6 but connected to a 6x6 man cave. I could open that right up but will likely just add a doorway soon.

My Italian 510

Comment

Originally posted by da9jeff View Post

Ps new bus looks great!

With fiat's being small it will look bigger than what it is
                              you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

Working...
                              X