E28 S54 swap

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been a while since I updated this thread or indeed did anything with the e28. I spent most of the winter/spring messing around with tractor rebuilds, acquired a non-running beater 1hdt 81-series that I have been doing about 15 years of maintenance on to get road worthy again (cue beater 80 series on trailer photo). I also sold off my 160km 82í 316 which made its way down to Colorado Ė such a fresh car.

With the E28 I had been collecting parts as they come available and funds allow, I picked up a set of Megan racing headers a while ago that eliminate the North American Spec cat in the header. The big purchase of the winter was swap harness which I had made by Andrew on R3V, as I came to the realization I was never going to get the wiring done at the rate I am working. He also sorted out my DME, which removes another issue I wonít need to deal with (read- lazy)

This weekend I got pissed off enough with the E28 sitting in the yard untouched, I decided to wheel it into the garage and finally remove the 270 km M30 and auto (free to a good home).

Spent a little while with the pressure washer removing 30 years of grime

I them proceeded to fuss around for the better part of a day trying to make the motor fit, having an e46 m3 was helpful and I think I was able to make the angles just about that same Ė granted there will be some massive oversight on my part 15 steps down the track, but for now it seems okay so today I got cracking making engine mounts.

Due to the bus transmission Iím using (e92 335i transmission) it is a bit tight in the tunnel. Everything else is a mess, the headers will need to be cut to clear the control arms, airbox wants to be where the brake system is, etc. I am trying to keep the factory braking/steering system as much as possible and I donít really want to convert over to a boosterless/boosted as it doesnít sound they ever work well in e30 swaps I have read about. I think there is a bit more room with the e28 bay so I think I have solutions for most things but I had to settle for the engine fit to be a bit more Audi than I have liked BUT as on tonight it is sitting in the bay by itself, and looks pretty sweet.

Comment

Nice one!!!
      .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Isn't there a kit or something to relocate the brake booster into the glove box?
        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Awesome progress. Looks like it was in there from factory apart from where the intake boot meets the airbox.

Thought of just running trumpets and alpha n?

Comment

Working...
          X