1977 GS 1220 Pallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS 1220 Pallas

For last year or so, I've really been wanting to do up and enjoy an older car. For those who know me, it was pretty obvious that it was going to be a Citroen of some sort, the only real question was which one?

After a brief dalliance with a Renault 17TS, my Dad has always had Citroens, and his first Citroens were his GSes.
    I don't have any photos of his first GS, (it went before I was born), but the two I remember was his 1977 Green GS 1220 Pallas, and his Brown GS 1015 Club
    This was his Green Pallas on the Indian Pacific, when they were moving back to Brisbane from Perth - around 1981
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_111542.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	7102559

This is his Brown Club underneath the family home soon after we'd moved in and had the place lifted - this would be 88-89.

Name:	image_111543.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	7102560

After a bunch of thinking, I got in touch with someone in the local Citroen car club, who had this stashed at the back of his shed.

Name:	image_111547.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	7102564Click image for larger version

Name:	image_111544.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	7102561Click image for larger version

Name:	image_111545.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	7102562Click image for larger version

Name:	image_111546.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	7102563

Looking at the chassis numbers, it was the next car off the production line after Dad's, so I guess that means it was meant to be.

The car is complete (but in bits), the interior is in really good shape, and the rust is pretty managable. Both front doors have holes at the bottom that will need patches welded on,
    but all the normal spots for chassis rust are fine.

It also came with a rusty spare front end, with another complete front subframe, engine, and gearbox.

The plan is to get it to Dads early in October, and then move it to my place once I've got my double garage built, hopefully Jan/Feb. After that, work will start in earnest.
    Initially, it will be a closed door respray in the original colour, and get it registered. After that, we'll see.
    Last edited by AxGT; 05-01-20, 08:32 PM.
    Dirty Subaru owner

You have the sickness, and it may be congenital!

Flat four and inboard front brakes? I did not know these things. Pretty cool looking car, especially for 1977, as well.

Comment

Very cool! Following with interest.
      Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Thanks guys - part ordering has started - I've already spent more than the car cost :rotflol:, but it was very cheap.
        Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

there was a rough one in the wreckers down here the other month. i hadnt seen one for ages.
          I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

[B][SIZE=20px][COLOR=#e74c3c]NOT LONG TO GO UNTIL “Not My President” Season 2 starts.
            I love that show![/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Hey Walt, no - the SM was the one done with Maserati. It was a 2 door coupe, and had either a 2.7 or 3L Maserati V6 in it (same engine as the Merak).
              Dad has one, this is his. It is the same era though.

Name:	DadsSM.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	7102567
              Attached Files
              Last edited by AxGT; 05-01-20, 08:33 PM.
              Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

Nice, I always wanted to put a 13B into one with a massive bridgeport and BiRotor badges just to confuse everyone.

Comment

Would love to have a proper weird beard geography teacher Citreon, but not brave enough.

Have always thought a CX2200 Palais would be awesome after being exposed to these things.

The mechanic that first helped me when I got involved in racing was a good friend if my dad's and was the largest independent Citreon mechanic in NSW in the late 80's before he went sailing around the world.

I look forward to seeing more of this.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                    You have the sickness, and it may be congenital!

Flat four and inboard front brakes? I did not know these things. Pretty cool looking car, especially for 1977, as well.
                    Lol, they say once you've been exposed to Citroen, you always risk having another one. Dunno what it is about that them, even the modern euroboxes have that effect on people, and they're hardly what you'd call exciting.

Comment

[B][SIZE=20px][COLOR=#e74c3c]NOT LONG TO GO UNTIL “Not My President” Season 2 starts.
                      I love that show![/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Love GS's. My Dad had a succession of Citroens of this era in the 80s - Dyane, 2CV, GS, Ami.

One day I might go full retard and live out my childhood dream of getting a CX, because spaceship.

Comment

The older I ger the more beautiful early Citroens are to look at. Will be following with interest. Had to share my favorite though.

Comment

Comment

There was one running around Brisbane a decade ago that had a mazda 12a swap instead of the Citroen Bi-rotor, and then changed into a EV after that.

Comment

Working...
                              X