1977 GS 1220 Pallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew Bolt View Post
    Approximately 1 million years ago at a Toyota Nationals, Norbie and I stumbled upon a Citroen weird beard day.
    Fuck, I don't remember that at all - but I do recall there were always other car club happenings when the Nationals were on. Citroen weird beards are especially weird beardy!
    Norbie!

Comment

Approximately 1 million years ago at a Toyota Nationals, Norbie and I stumbled upon a Citroen weird beard day. My then girlfriend's father was a Peugeot 504 enthusiast so I equated all Francophiles to being strange. I remember being blown away by a Citroen with a Maserati V6 (an SM?). It had an unprotected rotating shaft in the engine bay that looked ready to rip the arm off an inattentive operator. Owner was a Terry Talkalot but all quite interesting.

Carry on. Very interesting and brings up lots of odd memories from 30 years ago!
      I believe AxGT may be able to provide insight into these, given his dad owns (owned?) one!

French cars are in general weird. I was always on the verge of buying one but logic always stopped me doing it. Never found a decent 205GTI so bought the AW11 instead. Managed to test drive a Citroen Xsara VTS and bought a Polo GTI instead, but the clutch uptake point somewhere around your left ear was a bit off putting. Have done bulk km in cheapy rental Peugeot RCZs in the UK and do rate, but they probably work better as rental cars. I had an uncle who had about four 504s at one stage, before replacing them all with a 505GTI he ran for years.

It is the way of the French car enthusiast apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post

I believe AxGT may be able to provide insight into these, given his dad owns (owned?) one!

French cars are in general weird. I was always on the verge of buying one but logic always stopped me doing it. Never found a decent 205GTI so bought the AW11 instead. Managed to test drive a Citroen Xsara VTS and bought a Polo GTI instead, but the clutch uptake point somewhere around your left ear was a bit off putting. Have done bulk km in cheapy rental Peugeot RCZs in the UK and do rate, but they probably work better as rental cars. I had an uncle who had about four 504s at one stage, before replacing them all with a 505GTI he ran for years.

It is the way of the French car enthusiast apparently.
        Yep, The engine is way back on the engine bay with the gearbox in front (Mid Front layout), so there is a big accessory shaft that comes forward to run the Alternator, Hydraulic pump, and the aircon compressor if its fitted.

This picture shows it pretty well - look below the distributors

Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

Only a true French car enthusiast would say 'the distributors' in plural as if this was something that is normal.

Comment

does this have the steering that powers back to the centre position? i can only describe it as weird.

Approximately 1 million years ago at a Toyota Nationals, Norbie and I stumbled upon a Citroen weird beard day. My then girlfriend's father was a Peugeot 504 enthusiast so I equated all Francophiles to being strange. I remember being blown away by a Citroen with a Maserati V6 (an SM?). It had an unprotected rotating shaft in the engine bay that looked ready to rip the arm off an inattentive operator. Owner was a Terry Talkalot but all quite interesting.

Carry on. Very interesting and brings up lots of odd memories from 30 years ago!
            i'd swear someone on here's dad owns one.
            that shaft is a 'feature' of Maseratti's of that era. drives the air conditioning from one of the cams. If you start the engine with the air con on, sometimes you can destroy your engine

Comment

Yes, my dad does have one. And yeah, it has the DIRAVI power steering. My CX (first car had it too)
              Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

So my then GF's dad loved Pugs. He had many 504s and used to win the PCCV concours délegance annually with his top spec (Ti?) 504. He then bought a 604 and converted it to manual, and then eventually converted another 504 to V6 manual using that same PRV V6.

Used to be a Citroen workshop maybe 5-600 metres away from where I live (Alphington, Melbourne). Always had a pile of Citroens there. He seems to have moved in the last few years. Fascinating stuff!
                Proudly presenting the new foot long chocolate Subway.
                Originally posted by ALLMTR
                Rats tail haircut used to mean make sure the OC spray is shaken

Comment

Originally posted by Babalouie View Post
                  Love these things. Nice job on the speaker grilles, and IMHO Citroen woulda left the chevrons black :-)
                  On a GS, certainly. But they would be chrome on a CX.
                  And positioned so they blind you in the sun.

Comment

Well, over the last few days, I got the instrument panel back in the car, and the seats back in too. I'm a bit sus on the speedo drive still, but will get to that in due course

On Monday morning, I had a towie rock up, and had the car brought down to home

Got it up on the hoist - next jobs will be testing the speedo, and replacing the passenger driveshaft (has a pretty terminal knock), as well as tracking down some hydraulic leaks.

I'll also get going on the rest of the body work. Will need to get the front doors off and stripped, ready to MIG some steel in, and fix a tab on the passenger guard (which is why its off).

Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

that door is convenient

Comment

so he can admire it from the bedroom...
                        ​​​
                        I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
                          so he can admire it from the bedroom...
                          ​​​
                          Come on man, just the living room

Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

Is that a “mother-in-law door” like they have in places where it snows a lot?
                            ---
                            Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

No, we just built in the existing door as a window when we did a previous renovation (adding the internal stairs), so the front of the house looked symmetrical. In hindsight, we should have got them to change it out for a window as part of this renovation, but we'd had enough scope creep. It will happen at some stage

Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

Looking mint.

I like how the other two cars you own are notorious for being reliable. Smart.

Comment

Working...
                                X