01 Pearl IS300 2JZ-GTE you get the idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

01 Pearl IS300 2JZ-GTE you get the idea

Decided it was probably time to start a thread before I get too far down the road and not bother doing it. Been lurking for a while, but this would be my first build thread.

I've wanted an IS300 since about 2008, but straight outta school and into uni I was bound to be broke for a while longer. Good mate Daniel decided he liked the IS too since I pretty much couldn't shut up about it. He got himself an '05 black 300 in 2013. Scott built his motor & tuned it, went through 5 or more gearbags, rewired and repiped a few times along the way. Long story short, I was able to learn from all his mistakes, what worked and what didn't. He ended up selling it to some young fella (poor bastard) last year.

Fast forward to the end of 2017, scrolling through gumtree on boxing day, (what else do you do?) dreaming about having an IS when this one popped up.

A 2001 IS300 in pearl white, just under 245k on the clock for $5k! Completely encapsulated by the idea of having an IS, all common sense went out the window. Like, why is it so cheap? What's wrong with it? Hmmm, km is a bit high... But nope, picked her up on the 1st of Jan.

And safe at home.

The plan is as follows:
    • JZS161 engine and trans.
    • Clean, freshen up, service engine
    • ARP head studs
    • GTX3584RS with a 1.01 rear, 6boost manifold
    • Edit: No more yaris coils, R35 coils
    • 68mm Bosch DBW TB
    • 1650 injectors
    • Edit: BC 272 cams and springs
    • MV valve body and converter
    • Squash performance hanger with two DW300
    • Elite 2500 probably, but will dive into the ECU, TCU, body coms rabbit hole later.
    • Some wheels
    • Better suspension
    • Skids

Will catch up on the history and what I've done in the next couple of posts. But started fifo in the beginning of the year, project is going really well I'm sure I'll be home soon.
    This will be a slooooow one.
    Last edited by bboy; 28-07-20, 07:26 PM. Reason: Updates
    The Slowly IS300

I know that feeling if working away.

For my S14 build, the motor has spent the last six months in the back of the ute in boxes and wrapped in towels, plastic and what not. Today it got moved to the study so I can use the ute for the week.

With the new contract will be at least two years before it's out together.

I really hope your build is quicker than that.

I seem to have a history of glacial pace builds....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
      I know that feeling if working away.

For my S14 build, the motor has spent the last six months in the back of the ute in boxes and wrapped in towels, plastic and what not. Today it got moved to the study so I can use the ute for the week.

With the new contract will be at least two years before it's out together.

I really hope your build is quicker than that.

I seem to have a history of glacial pace builds....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
      Yeah I really hope mine goes a little quicker than that!

I'm lucky in a way that I was able to drive the car down to the town I'm staying in, actually have a better garage here than at home >.> I can tinker with shit with the basic tools I have here, and play with the engine when back in brissie.
      The Slowly IS300

Comment

Looking forward to this carry on good sir!
        1JZ RA28 (yoshi) the toymotor sillycar
        http://performanceforums.com/forums/...gte-ra28-skids
        200B wagon
        LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

There's a few reasons why I wanted an '01 IS rather than the '02+ models. First was no sticky dash, and ECU similarities with the aristo/altezza.

However... As I was unmolesting and cleaning the car, I noticed the head unit wiring (cut and spliced by a 2 year old) was the same as the '02+ models. Then a few spots on the dash with some traces of goo. Finally checked the ECU, and what do you know, '02+ ECU. Turns out the changeover was actually in 07/01... got jibbed! Mine was made in:

Interestingly the plate in the boot says IS200. Which quickly made the blood rush and frantically checked all the vin numbers around the car, they all line up. But still felt weird about it.

Remember when common sense went out the window? Well, I came to my senses and did a revs check. Car has been in an accident, twice. Almost sold the piece of shit that day. But this is my turd now and I'll fix it properly. Lessons learnt.

Got it without rego or roady, was told it only needed a new battery and a wheel bearing. Ended up needing to do the steering rack end on drivers side, never seen a joint so worn out. Had to replace all the wheel nuts, idiot had tapered nuts on the stock wheels which use flat face nuts. Wheel bearing was fine, was just the wheels falling off.

Put the battery on charge and drove around for a while and thought it was fine. It was not fine. Apparently if you leave it at the airport for a week, you're going to have a bad time.

Site ute sneak peek. Has turbo, does not do skids.
          Last edited by bboy; 18-09-19, 02:12 PM. Reason: Fix pics
          The Slowly IS300

Comment

Hit up Yury baranov on FB, he does a little patch harness/block that works with engine swaps into IS chassis so you keep A/C revs and fuel tank gauge working. its like $80 del from russia. He is on toymods too.

Comment

Yep, Yury is making things a lot easier for the Toyota community. I have the ATEMU in mine at the moment.

Here is a link to the MPX convertor
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/all4...15705928560544

That will allow you to use the Aristo ECU with the IS body.

Comment

Originally posted by japlish View Post
                Hit up Yury baranov on FB, he does a little patch harness/block that works with engine swaps into IS chassis so you keep A/C revs and fuel tank gauge working. its like $80 del from russia. He is on toymods too.
                Originally posted by Nick View Post
                Yep, Yury is making things a lot easier for the Toyota community. I have the ATEMU in mine at the moment.

Here is a link to the MPX convertor
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/all4...15705928560544

That will allow you to use the Aristo ECU with the IS body.
                Thanks guys! I did read some stuff on toyomods regarding it a while ago, but didn't find the definitive info like he has on his FB/Website. How did I not find this before??

This does change things a bit. Dream was always to go full standalone, and with this unit you can pretty much run any engine with whatever ECU and you can make the MPX work, if I understand correctly. It was only recently that I've started toying with the idea to run the Aristo ECU in the IS, as the guys on my.is have the full JZS161 swap into the IS with most things working. Then aftermarket just for the engine. There are many issues with this as I want haltech (or other) to run DBW, don't want a MAF and a few other bits which will make it near impossible for it to run the auto properly. But like Yury said, that's bush engineering and he'll have no part of it. "Either use standalone for everything or no love"

Back to plan A. This little unit, haltech and a TCU. Syvecs is still on the cards, will talk to Scott if he knows anything about them. There will obviously be some sacrifices, but we'll get to that. Long way to go still.

Sounds like Nick has had some good luck with that Spitronics TCU, makes me a little proud that something decent is coming out of that country.
                The Slowly IS300

Comment

Unfortunately, the car was owned by P plater. *deep breath* Which has its advantages believe it or not! The guy only played with the wheels, coilovers, sound, and lights. Engine bay untouched and interior is surprisingly clean.

Car was a bit of a "stancer." Wheels that don't fit properly, cheap coilovers to slam it on the ground. Some pioneer headunit that didn't work, no surprise given the shit wiring job. Half decent speakers tek screwed in. But most annoyingly, EVERY, SINGLE, light bulb inside and out was replaced with shittier than dogshit china leds.

Being the fully sick stancer it was, all the guards are screwed. I'll replace the front guards and visit the body shop when the car is back in brissie. Not sure if before/after engine swap.

Replaced all the bulbs with original Toyota bulbs throughout. I like the orange in the interior...

The headlights were probably the most messed up thing on the car. Had aftermarket HIDs on low and high beams, with disgusting 8000k bulbs on both. He tried to stuff the aftermarket ballast box in the original spot, didn't quite work. The auto levelling motors popped their joints because they couldn't move the headlight with all the crap stuffed in there. Headlights were literally only held in place by the bumper, the other mounting points were either missing or broken. Headlight casings themselves are fine thankfully. Replaced the high beams with standard Phillips globes straight up.

Fixed what I could while I waited for the new ballasts. Drove the car as is for a while. The shitty wiring on the aftermarket HIDs gave out and copper pulled me over in the middle of the night, I fixed the headlight (loose connection) but he noticed the aftermarket ballasts. I had them sitting outside the headlight as they don't fit inside! He wouldn't believe me that the car had HIDs from factory, "the car's too old for that" and wouldn't listen when I tried to show him the auto levelling and headlight washers. He was a real prick, I guess he just needed to fill his quota. Hope he gets aids.

At least the cop is on board with the current agenda of going back to standard... OEM ballasts, wiring and standard Phillips HID globes back in.

Last edited by bboy; 18-09-19, 03:18 PM. Reason: Fix pics
                  The Slowly IS300

Comment

So while everyone is playing with turbos and lambos, I'm fixing dodgy wiring...

You could tell the sound system in the car went through a few iterations. A few patch jobs at the head unit itself, then they spliced into the amp wiring to control the speakers, then they just ran new wires to the speakers. Thankfully the connectors at the speakers weren't molested!

Got the standard headunit, standard amp, standard speakers... "STANDARD!" - James May

The wires cleaned up ok, and the OEM sound system functions normally again. Don't want to be listening to it much anyway, choo-choo noises is where it's at.

Last edited by bboy; 15-10-19, 02:53 PM. Reason: Fix pics
                    The Slowly IS300

Comment

The 2J has been acquired!

Got it from old mate Peter on facebook, interesting guy. Managed to convince nopics that part of her tax return is best spent on this. win.

Compression tests look good, albeit on a cold motor. He's wearing gloves, so you know this shit is legit.

The wiring loom had some Greddy either boost cut or speed cut box, meaning the guy who owned this motor before probably spanked it quite hard haha

Let the strip search begin.
                      Last edited by bboy; 28-09-19, 03:51 PM. Reason: Fix pics
                      The Slowly IS300

Comment

Peter is an active member on this forum. lol

Comment

Originally posted by tim510 View Post
                          Peter is an active member on this forum. lol
                          Haha awesome! Got no issues with him, didn't think italics was needed for the glove comment?

Be sure to say hi when you're around Peter!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
                          The Slowly IS300

Comment

This is so much fun watching someone else deal with wiring :D

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
                            RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
                            06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Comment

Please ditch the fucking Yaris coil shit idea.

If not, Can I buy your stock gte coils? lol

Comment

Working...
                              X