No announcement yet.

01 Pearl IS300 2JZ-GTE you get the idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is sensational. I have been wanting to do this swap from the r154 in my E30 when I get around to working on it again. Will be following very closely and pestering you for info given you are also Brisbane based.
    Originally posted by Dimi
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Originally posted by schnitzelburger
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Comment

Originally posted by foamy View Post
      That is some nice CAD work, and a good looking outcome!
      Thanks foamy. The actual part modelling was quite simple, I struggled with Onshape's part assembly though. Completely different to Solidworks with regards to mating / constraints and forces version history for each part update. Still don't quite have my head around it.

Originally posted by Sketchy View Post
      This is sensational. I have been wanting to do this swap from the r154 in my E30 when I get around to working on it again. Will be following very closely and pestering you for info given you are also Brisbane based.
      Haha lets hope I can figure it out!
      The Slowly IS300

Comment

If anyone would like the CAD files for whatever reason, let me know and I'll link the files. I think the only useful bit would be the plate that bolts to the gearbox, the rest is pretty unique to my setup.
        The Slowly IS300

Comment

Lovely work mate, that's a very professional looking trans mount.

Comment

Very awesome!
            Norbie!

Comment

Finally got around to taking the Lexus driveshaft to Driveline Services Australia in Acacia Ridge. Great bunch of guys there and very helpful. My plan back in the day was just to get the standard Lexus shaft modified to bolt to whatever gearbox I’m using. Cheap and simple. But in the back of my mind, I knew with my eventual power goals and abuse the car will cop this was not the best solution.

The 8HP driveshaft flange I got from Whifbitz was supposed to be bolt on to a standard Supra driveshaft flange, which is also the same as Landcruiser ones apparently. Turns out it’s not quite the same, the internal spigot diameter is 64mm on the Whifbitz flange, Toyota ones are 46mm, this may be to fit the giant BWM nut though. The threads on the flange are also M12 on Whifbitz and M11 on the Toyota stuff. So, a custom flange needs to be machined anyway.

Next issue was that if we just replaced the splined connection on the driveshaft with a flange, we would end up with a rigid connection between the gearbox and diff. Some guys run it like this, but I think this would put unnecessary strain on the driveline under load, things need space to move. You would also have to get the driveshaft length spot on. So, a slip yoke (splined connection) needs to be put back in.

After discussing all the options with them, we came to the conclusion to just make a whole new shaft instead.

Specs are:
              • 3.5” OD once piece driveshaft
              • Spline is 1.25” measured at base, with about an inch travel either way from midpoint.
              • 1350 universal joints front and rear
              • Custom machined flange to suit the Whifbitz flange
              • Hilux flange to suit the rear diff

I also figured out what the little lever on the side of the 8HP does! It disengages the park lock so the output can rotate, great for fitting driveshafts and loading onto trailers...

The Slowly IS300

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Working...
                X