Dirty e30

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it towed to Blaine Washington and it stayed there for a month in December while I waited for title. Cost $900USD for the tow.

Comment

Here's the burnt valve. Explains the zero comp on # 2.

I replaced all exhaust valves with supertech 32.5mm (up .5mm from stock) and new exhaust valve seats, all new guides. Spent well over 1k on head when I had a complete new motor sitting in my other e30... Still not sure why I just didn't swap engines lol.

Comment

This is the corrosion in #1. Engine was seized when I first saw the car. Actually got it freed up and ran the motor, compression was still 200psi. Leakdown was 60% on this cylinder compared to 10-15% on 3 and 4. I honed most of this out, and fitted new rings to #1 cylinder. Total backyard rebuild and would not ever recommend this to anyone. Guess I am happy to take a punt on my own stuff...

Comment

Comment

Head flat, not too much taken off, as these are NLA now.

Piston back in with new rings and new big end bearings.

Head on with euro 50/50 headers I bought from Germany. The USA headers are a fair bit smaller.

Cam carrier on, and bucket/shims going on. Tedious to adjust. Did a quick setup as I know I will need to do again at 1000kms after the head has settled.

This is where I am at.

Next is to fit new oil cooler, and crank over engine to build oil pressure and do a quick compression test. If I have not fucked up, continue reassembly and get the car running so I can get my garage back to work on other cars.

Will need out of province inspection (similar to blue slip) which means tires etc. Money pit!

Meanwhile at work I did 40 valve stem seals and 1 valve spring on an s85 v10 M5. That was fun

Comment

Sex on wheels these things. Much nicer than japanese styling of the 80's 90's, which is still very nice!
              Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
                Sex on wheels these things. Much nicer than japanese styling of the 80's 90's, which is still very nice!
                Thanks. I love the look of these too. Wish they were quick out of the box though. Need dollars to get them quick, or swap a 6 into them, which is not an option for me.

Comment

You don't need speed when you look like this.
                  Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

Progress. Engine finished and started up first go. No idea how that happened. New 16 inch tires on e38 style 5s. Then on to pulling dash, cutting cracked windshield out and basically just making more mess. The closer I think I am to finished the further the goal posts get moved

Comment

Fucking jelly FYI
                      Jason Broadhurst

Comment

That last photo makes me glad I kill bugs and tint windows for a living.

and know a wiring nerd who needs bugs killed and windows tinted.
                        The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Comment

Is it even an E30 if it hasn't had the dash out for 18 months?
                          Jason Broadhurst

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
                            Is it even an E30 if it hasn't had the dash out for 18 months?
                            Correct. Right of passage for e30 project car. Hopefully it won't be out for 18 months. Was on a roll a week ago and now have not touched it since. Hate that. The longer it doesn't get worked on the harder it is to go in there and get moving.

Comment

Originally posted by lickmyleftone View Post
                              That last photo makes me glad I kill bugs and tint windows for a living.

and know a wiring nerd who needs bugs killed and windows tinted.
                              It looks worse than it is. This is my 3rd or 4th e30 dash r&r so kinda not too bothered by it.

When I did the lhd to rhd conversion on my henna m3 I did call in the experts to extend the dash harness. That took my friend who is a qualified BMW auto electrician 3 full days to get done.

Comment

Originally posted by Forg Convertible View Post
                                Hopefully it won't be out for 18 months.
                                Holy fuck, thanks. I needed a good laugh.
                                Jason Broadhurst

Comment

Working...
                                X