Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirty e30

Yesterday, I forgot to take my belt off at Sacramento international airport, and after the body scan, I had this big burly security guard feel me up... And I stood there thinking.... The things you do in the pursuit of cars...

The afternoon before, I am checking out this car I had put a deposit on. I had flown down from Vancouver BC to Sacramento, and had just discovered the engine is seized. I was under the car going wtf am I doing.

The seller had just parked the car 5 year ago as it had an oil leak.

We both didn't know the engine was seized. #1 spark plug was rusty. So I punched a hole in a can of wd40, poured it down the spark plug hole and said let's go have a beer.

Over a beer, we decided to not make any decisions till the next morning. He helped me find a hotel, and we had dinner and few beers, and he came down from the agreed price due to the discovery.

The next morning, we tried to turn it over. As I clicked the key to start, it just went thunk like it did the day before. But he said he saw the crank pulley move just a millimetre. So as he flicked the key on the starter, I got on the alternator pulley and it moved.

So it unseized. I built up oil pressure, and eventually after some fiddling we got it running.

In the end I bought the car. The engine still needs rebuilding, the head gasket is blown, and the whole car needs alot of work.

But I'm stoked. This is the one. The seller, he has owned it since new in 1988. 230000 miles he drove it. Kept every part he swapped out. Still has the books, and the dealer window sticker. 30 years later...

No rust, no accidents, clean title Cali car it's whole life. Sun damaged in places, but no rot. I'm keeping this one.

My wife thinks I'm crazy.

Lachsilber 1988 M3.

Gotta get it towed up to Canada.
    Attached Files

Rad.

Sent from my VS Commodore eurovox headunit using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Hell Yeah !! That's the one.

Fantastic score
      " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Jexus. Fuck yesh

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
        RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
        06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Comment

Nice. Looks like it's got the whole mid/late 1990s classy Euro thing going on with the Hella taillights, Dinan plate frame and are they BBS CH wheels?

Oh and lol at the opening paragraph of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by da9jeff View Post
            Rad.

Sent from my VS Commodore eurovox headunit using Tapatalk
            This made me laugh

Comment

Nice one

Comment

Thanks guys this is a dream car for me. I had one in Australia for like 10 seconds after spending a year converting it to rhd and then the wife says we are moving to Canada. Had to sell it. Been looking ever since, while the prices were going mental. I can't afford 30-40-50k US for an m3, I've never spent that kind of coin on a car.

This one is entry level to the m3 crowd, and is a project that needs a good going through. At least I have a fresh motor. Then there's the windscreen, tires, suspension, interior.... By the end it will have cost me 40-50k us to bring back if you include my s14, but I will be paying my way in in stages. And then it still needs paint. Oh well... I'm not selling so doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                  Nice. Looks like it's got the whole mid/late 1990s classy Euro thing going on with the Hella taillights, Dinan plate frame and are they BBS CH wheels?

Oh and lol at the opening paragraph of the thread.
                  Yeah it has bbs ch and startec taillights. Those tail lights are worth decent coin now. He has the original tail lights in good condition so I will prob swap them out and sell the startecs. But yeah I kinda like the 90s pre fast and furious look it has going.

Comment

Asking $600 for one side....
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-M3-...4AAOSwyWlbp7pp

Comment

This will be going in asap

Click image for larger version

Name:	0_IMG-20181114-WA0009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	6616561

Comment

fuck yeah. Nice one.
                        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

California to Canada is going to cost a bomb??? May be cheaper to ship your engine down and then drive it back home????

Comment

Well I have a spare head.. I could fly down with that, replace the head and drive back... But I think towing will be better. Had one quote for $700 us to Seattle. That's not too bad.

Comment

Long time no post. What a mission to get this thing home to Canada. Note to self, never buy a USA car again without viewing the title up front.
                              Took the seller almost 2 months to find title. For a bit, he had the car, my money, and the paperwork. I had nothing. Was a uncomfortable feeling.

Anyways, got the title and car in Jan.

I was just gonna pull the broken 2.3 s14 and fit my shiny new 2.5 s14, but I couldn't resist pulling the 2.3 apart to find out the damage. Found a severely burnt out exhaust valve in #2 cylinder, and corroded head leaking coolant into #1 cylinder. So I rebuilt the head, popped out cyl 1 piston, honed the bore, and fitted new rings and bearings to # 1 only.
                              Head back on now and not far off getting the 2.3 running. Why I just didn't fit the new 2.5 I don't know...

Comment

Working...
                              X