• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks man. I'll keep fiddling with it.
    1975 TX Gemini Coupe - 1991 VN SS - 2017 VF SS Redline Wagon
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/bucketindustries

Comment

Figured I'd do an update as well!
      There's been a little bit of stuff happen with it.
      I've finished all the wiring looms. I've just got all my gauges (I'll mention further below) just gotta hook them all up.
      I've still got to work out the ratchet shifter arrangement so everything works. I still starts in any gear and the reverse lights aren't working.

I'll look at them at them properly over the weekend.

I spent some time getting the back seat in and right.
      The Stato seat is 4 sections so I had to work out how to mount the middle section in. Nutserts! That's all mounted in now. I'll pull it back out one last time for a clean and wack them back in for good.
      Was a bit of a mission on my own but got it looking factory. I've just got to modify the ends of the side sections. They're generally hidden in a Statesman. I found a tutorial to clean them up and make them look right so I'll do that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	116711826_798112367394331_4573485391158610579_n.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	728.6 KB
ID:	7171690

I really really hated how bad/shit the seat belts are. The fronts were garbage. Cracked and broken held together with good intentions and electrical tape.
      Fucked them off and found some decent ones online:

Name:	115928356_283233632784171_6209103940452960843_n.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	594.5 KB
ID:	7171691

To top it off there's a guy making new PRESS buttons for the seat belts. So I got them as well. (this wasn't a cheap exercise for fucking seat belts) The back ones just need a quick clean up and the buttons switched and they're quite neat.
      I've gotta build a tool to try and carefully remove the buttons. The instructions show how to build one but I might see if there's something else I can use. Then they can all go in!

Name:	116435912_2338195156475940_8763514191521246473_n.jpg
Size:	448.4 KB
ID:	7171694

I finally ordered carpet to (unsure if that's written down). I've pulled all the old shit out and done this with it (along with the fucktonnes of shit wiring they had in it)

Name:	118123382_225059685587904_1788549277933571086_n.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	7171692

Name:	118014301_317886039322613_4054738864920055200_n.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	934.7 KB
ID:	7171695Click image for larger version

Name:	117931401_1536593356512856_233249924209840829_n.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	958.8 KB
ID:	7171696

Farmsci gifted me a vacuum so I cleanedout all the weird shit dirt grime and whatever else. I'm going to get the scraper out and cop out all that old underlay.

On the topic, Is it worth putting new stuff in?

Last thing to do in this is the gauges that'll stay in which I am doing at the moment. I got these on sale last week. SAAS brand yeah but they seemed to suit it better than my autometer ones did. Plus all the same as apposed to missmatched ones.

Name:	117732729_766845024131408_7077387866889031791_n.jpg
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	7171693

I bought a heap of random mechanical stuff for it.
      Hubs for VT brake upgrade, I got a transcooler off race63 as well! So after I buy the new radiator off foamy I can fit it up.

I've brought my wheels home to get painted. Hopefully I'll get that done this weekend or next week. Hoping that the whole interior is completely done by middle of next month.
      Then all I got to do is the mechanical stuff and paint/wrap the bits that need it.

I've got to get my Gemini in some sort of working fashion for the track day but should be able to manage both these in time!

Comment

vs s3 v8 radiator with vs v6 thermofan does the trick & bolts straight,works well + looks factory.

Exact one below in link + pick & payless/wreckers $29 vs v6 thermofan with chunk of wiring/plug

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-C...b6e0d6ff5848d9

It's tricky but there is space on banana manifold near temp sender & cts to drill/tap for another sender unit for gauge or fan switch
        Last edited by gtrboyy; 27-08-20, 01:26 PM.
        an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Boring update 124.
          I've been working on it slowly again. Busy with appointments and stuff.
          Just got the insides cleaned up. It doesn't seem like an interesting update but still took a solid day. I got a bit Marco OCD with cleaning it.
          I've cleaned the decades of dust/dirt/grime from the whole floor and sills.

I did the side trim piece yesterday afternoon. 5 goes over to get rid of the dirt and soaked it in cleaner. I didn't get a pic of before and after but looks passable now.
          The carpet is nearly done to. Bit of fiddling and cutting but it's just about in there. I've got to finish the centre console mods so I can have everything back in this weekend so the interior will be completely done and that's that big task ticked off.

I'll fit up the shifter bracket to the box Tyrie gave me and get the cable working so it can be moved. It's then booked in for tyres and a wheel alignment.

I'm trying to get my hands on a Dakota Digital shift box thingy for the shift pattern as well. To keep it 'legal'.
          So far not winning. If anyone has a hook up for one or something I can use?

Here's a pic of the carpet. You can see starting to take shape

Name:	120255177_262943368215326_6044873216336477822_n.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	634.9 KB
ID:	7181393

Comment

I'll have to bring my white around to have a look one day

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Comment

Did you do add anything for heatproofing?

They like to cook the floorpan & transmission tunnel + shifter box
              an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Yeah definintely man! I'm really hoping to have it out road going soon so we can cruise!

Nup. I got the shits with waiting for some and then a mate had some he dicked around with. I'll work that out later if I have to.

Comment

So for anyone that cares a little but not much has happened with old grey.

I had to stop working on it and focus on the Bucket (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPyH3uZrzrY) to get it track ready for Halfwaynats track day (subscribe to the channel for vids on that).

It's been a hectic few months, been in and out of hospital, bought and moved into a new joint which meant a frantic throw all the cars together build while packing and finishing off the Coupe plus halfwaynats and getting our old place in rentable condition.

Now you've read the meaningless junk I'll start on the actual VN stuff lol.

So over a lunch break (before we moved) I managed to put my seat belts together and the new gelwhateverthey'recalled PRESS button thingos in.

Doesn't look like much but they were a pain to do.

I got the neater ones I had purchase months ago so I threw out the ones that came with it. They're 4000000 times nicer looking.

Name:	Snapchat-47408965.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	7209515
                  Tested and they work! Hooray

Name:	Snapchat-539643400.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	7209516

I didn't get any pics of them but I refurbished the rear ones as well. Then went Marco OCD and cleaned and detailed everything.
                  Belt plastics, the bolts then completely cleaned everything under the carpet, that shitty trim that runs along the door (maybe called door runners? they keep popping out of the carpet...)

Having nearly finished the interior I figured I'd really really need to get the seats home and into the VN (makes it easier to drive when moving to).
                  So I picked them up out of storage and brought them to our old place.
                  Dad had covered them with a sheet but the sheet was half on there so they were pretty dam dusty.

And so begins the clean of the front seats. These pics don't it justice how 'yuk' they were.
                  I guess is a sorta organised timeline of how they came up. What I started with to what they are like now.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	7209519Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	7209521Click image for larger version

Name:	2andhalf.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	7209517Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	518.6 KB
ID:	7209522Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	7209518Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	7209520Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	7209524Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	7209525Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	7209523Click image for larger version

Name:	8andahalf.jpg
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	7209527Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	7209526Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	7209529Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	7209530Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	7209528

I've learnt a fair bit in the art of interior cleaning since doing these. 9/10 would not do again.

8 hours in those two seats alone to get all the shit out. They're probably 7/10 now?
                  You see what I started with but. They feel 1000 times nicer now however.

For anyone who's reading or needs to know how to clean commodore seats. I think the simplest way is to do this in 2 or 3 parts.
                  High pressure the shit out of them first (assuming they're not electric). We did this with the seat we got off madcow for that_guys Gemi Coupe.
                  Came up pretty decent (wasn't as sad as theses two but anyway)

Then do a vacuum, then wet vac it then clean it with whatever wet cleaning thingy you have. I used a bissell vacuum with an chair attachment a good mate of mine lent me.

I pulled about 12 of these outta the seats before they started looking good and the water was clear-ish.

Name:	20201029_121125.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	7209531

Fucking gross.
                  I didn't get time to do the back seat before the move so I'll do that another time. It wasn't as bad as the front two which was something.

So with that I packed every VN bit into boxes the back of the car/boot/where ever they wouldn't get damaged and moved.
                  No wheel alignment, no gear shifter so my mate Adam ghetto rigged the original shifter linkages back up and managed to get reverse and forward gears onto the trailer and customary trailer skid to go with it.

THE funniest thing is seeing all these lovely new neighbours greet us and say hi then a multi-coloured VN rocks up with no front bar, mismatched wheels and a semi running (the fuel is waaaayyy off) 304.
                  Then Amy's non discrete Gemini came lol.

Name:	20201114_190821.jpg
Size:	461.4 KB
ID:	7209532
                  As you can see. Hadn't been washed in ages and was covered in $40,000 worth of carport dust which is worth double of barn dust. Matt Dennis featuring in this one.

I gave it a wash and moved it.

Name:	20201121_201313.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	7209533

So now I've got the old house done and out of the road myself, Matt, Willsy and madcow did some mucking around with it yesterday.

We threw Willsy under the thing and using the bits Tyrie hooked me up with (probably this time last year) actually got the shifter cable setup and after a slight bit of negotiation, it's working!

While that happened I put my new radiator hose on and did a couple of small things including a quick wheel alignment to get me by till I get a proper one done.
                  I've got to now properly mount the shifter and drop box into the hole so it doesn't leak or move. I've pre-drilled the holes and so on just need to get some sealant and wack it down.

While testing the shifter we did find some thoroughly bad news...
                  Seems there was a pool of water under the car. Initially I thought it was just overflow from me filling it up but that's a big negative, seems the welsh plug next to the drivers side engine mount is done Spewing!
                  So now we've got to give my mechanic mate a wristy to borrow a hoist at his workshop and get that changed.
                  The list grew as we went further into it, but not massively over board. Figured we would do the engine mounts, all the lower seals where we can and a couple of dress up things, just to neaten the engine bay up.
                  You'd think that should do it for a while until the engine carks it and I put something else in.

Willsys taken the centre console back with him after him and Matt modified it for the bluetooth stereo to sit in. The Dakota digital box finally rocked up last week as well.
                  I'll get an autoelec to do that and all the gauges at the same time so the shifter will read like it's supposed to.

Front drivers side seat was mounted as well so that's all sweet to, I've just gotta do the passenger one.
                  Oh and test fitted this thing to the back seat. Seems I've had that backwards and fixed that.
                  Oh and there's two of them :D

Name:	131960234_802790593638878_8276989442969667605_n.jpg
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	7209534
                  Shifter in place, passenger seat and the brakes this weekend.
                  Stay tuned! Or not.
                  Whatevs

Comment

Over the xmas break now that I've unboxed most things I've done a little on this.
                    Again things no one will notice but in the spirit of updating V.129:

The heater controls in these things are an interesting arrangement. I didn't have much to do with them in my ute and definitely different to the HD & Geminis.

So I finished the gauge looms ran all the wires and just need to connect them in now so they all work. I'll do that when we do the welsh plug etc.
                    I put it all neatly back together. Frustratingly enough the fascia is slightly damaged. It's got a crack where it'd suggest someone has tried to jimmy it off to fit one of the 40 stereos this thing had, so it sits slightly out.
                    It's bothering me but it'll have to do.
                    I don't know if it's factory thing (if anyone knows that'd be great) but It seemed to be stuck on feet. I had the help of Simsy and my mate Brad to sort this.

I'd assume VN, VP, VR, VS would all be the same and judging by the system maybe VL? They're all swapped by vacuum?
                    Turned out I had pulled a line off down the very bottom putting things back together which took 2 days to work out.
                    Plumbed it all back in. (I'm writing this in case some dumb cunt like me tries to search) There's like an intersection at the base of the air box (I didn't think to take any pics) with a relief valve I think it is.
                    Takes a second or two to grab pressure (and the car needs to be running to get that there apparently) and should be able to switch. If you can't check the rubber thing up where the actual dial is is together. Mine was a little off so was essentially leaking.

Name:	stereo.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	7212244

All the speeds work and I can go from demist to recirculate no drama now. I did notice but. If you turn the car off and change the dial (so say turned it to demist) it defaults to feet?
                    Another quirk or I've fucked something there but when the car is running it works itself out. Maybe #justvnthings who knows.
                    It's got more screws that I started with so it's all sitting perfectly and it'd be a pain to steal the radio if you were so desperate to.

Did some fiddling with the ratchet shifter as well. We think it's out of alignment because it's still starting in any gear.
                    I'll work it out.
                    The dakota digital box rocked up so we will be able to rig that up so the shift pattern lights up light factory and the guide with leds is being built.
                    I've also bought a barra conversion kit, brand new 4888r and a few other bits and pieces for it.

Should make things interesting.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Starting in gears?

Got the 2 switches that came with shifter kit hooked up correctly?

As in do reverse lights come on when in reverse,if not might need to swap wires..if that's correct you'll need a mate to check shifter is adjusted properly for gears.Vaguely remember had to swap pins in shifter to suit th700

Comment

Barra kit? Slip that in there to see if anybody is paying attention?
                        Originally posted by Rdyno
                        It's fucking storytime with Rdyno cunt shut the fuck up and fuck off.

Comment

The heater control is vac operated, once you turn car off it will default to basic setting.

Reverse light and safety neutral are taped together on the tunnel. Green/pink and striped wires. Pretty simple, if you bridge them,

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by 50RTD
                          Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

Originally posted by gtrboyy View Post
                            Starting in gears?
                            Got the 2 switches that came with shifter kit hooked up correctly?
                            As in do reverse lights come on when in reverse,if not might need to swap wires..if that's correct you'll need a mate to check shifter is adjusted properly for gears.Vaguely remember had to swap pins in shifter to suit th700
                            Yeah we've gotta play around with it. At the moment negative on the reverse lights but I don't know if they even worked before. I think one did and the other didn't.

Originally posted by StupidFlanders View Post
                            Barra kit? Slip that in there to see if anybody is paying attention?
                            :D Wait n see hahaha

Originally posted by Dogsballs View Post
                            The heater control is vac operated, once you turn car off it will default to basic setting.

Reverse light and safety neutral are taped together on the tunnel. Green/pink and striped wires. Pretty simple, if you bridge them,
                            Yeah ok I might play with them again this afternoon. Thanks for the input guys

Comment

Barra = manwell
                              Last edited by mad_cow; 04-01-21, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Have a read of the instructions if you have them. or hassle Dale how wire up 2 micro-switches lol.

Shifter in 3sp or 4spd mode?

Apparently can swap pins on shifter & brackets that bolt to auto.

Just keep fucking with it & do odd backyard burnout for inspiration...

Comment

Working...
                                X