Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1jz ma61

So Nick (Dnegative) bought an MA61 many years ago in a fairly sorry state, and then set about making it real nice with a 1J/R154/big single etc. Pretty much from day 1 I told him that if he was ever to sell it that he should hit me up, as I have had a soft spot for MA61s for quite a while and I knew his wasnt a piece of shit like the other 90% of them out there. As it happens, 2 days after I sold my KP61, Nick messages me out of the blue to say he has decided he has too many cars and is now ready to sell the supra. Fucking perfect timing, so the day after the starlet was picked up by the new owner I swooped in and grabbed it.

Not much to say. From what I remember, the details are:

- 1984 ADM MA61 supra. No sunroof (meaning no opportunity for leaks or rust!) and originally auto. Decent condition hatch, and generally good paint and panel everywhere (not mint but not fucked)
    - 1JZ-GTE non vvti with a basic refresh (bearings, belts, front/rear main seals, valve stem seals etc)
    - Mambatek GTX3076R 0.72AR turbo
    - R154 gearbox
    - Turbosmart 45mm hypergate
    - 3" mandrel bent loud AF exhaust
    - Standard brakes, wheels and suspension
    - Very tired standard diff, with a new Eaton Tru-Trac ready to swap in
    - Stock ecu, gizzmo MS-IBC boost controller, gizzmo FCD
    - Front mount intercooler
    - Roughly 250rwkw on high boost

It has done a mid-12 in its current state. I dont have any plans to chase more power for now but it will probably happen at some point in the future. For the moment I just want to find some trim pieces that are missing for it, install air con, fit some good brakes, tyres and suspension and generally just make it a nice thing to do spirited drives/cruises in.

It fits in the garage, although it takes up a lot more room than the KP did haha. Still, I think I now have the wedgiest garage in existence, which makes me very happy :D

1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

love it, bet it feels a bit scary on stock suspension and brakes! What are the options in that department now days? Custom or is off the shelf available?

Comment

Looks awesome, compliments the MR2 well. You need a practical car with pop-up headlights now. Might I suggest an Aston Martin Lagonda? Also has the wedge thing going for it.

Comment

035 white master race represent! Nice score, should keep you well entertained.

Originally posted by spiller View Post
        love it, bet it feels a bit scary on stock suspension and brakes!
        I drove my 2JZ-GTE MA61 with stock brakes and suspension for a few years. It wasn't that bad (they're pretty well setup stock) but it could get pretty, shall we say "lively" at times. I hope you like oversteer! :D

Originally posted by spiller View Post
        What are the options in that department now days? Custom or is off the shelf available?
        There are a few off the shelf options nowadays, both coilover kits and big brake kits. Spoilt for choice compared with what was available when I did mine, ie precisely zero.
        Norbie!

Comment

To be honest it will probably just get a basic spring and shock setup, unless coilover kits are very affordable. I dont intend on building this into a time attack car like what is happening with the AW11, it just needs to be fun on a spirited drive and the occasional motorkhana/trackday

It does in fact handle fairly well, but the sumitomo tyres on the stock 14" wheels definitely dont have heaps of grip..

Comment

Originally posted by Modified View Post
            Looks awesome, compliments the MR2 well. You need a practical car with pop-up headlights now. Might I suggest an Aston Martin Lagonda? Also has the wedge thing going for it.
            i like the cut of your jib sir

Comment

Maximum overwedge!

Needs more Subaru Vortex.

Comment

It runs pretty hard on the freezing cold night 1/4 mile setting on the EBC. Gotta be near on 300rwkw on 21psi.

Fuck, reading back through the Toymods build thread and flicking through all the photos I have here brings back some memories.
                Its a good car, my plans were to toss $10k at it, sort out the body, tidy up the interior, fix the diff, fit the reco 1JZ head I have, put a haltech on it and get it engineered but when you drive it once every 2-3 months there is no value to be gained.
                The most impressive thing in the car is the clutch, its a mix master I made from a rusted 7MGTE pressure plate with a new toyota JZ disc on a flywheel I got off a drifter for $50 and its been mint.

Comment

Shit yeah!

"No opportunity for rust" LOLs...
                  #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Comment

no opportunity in the sunroof only... i didnt mention the rest of the car

Comment

God damn I love the MA61 dash haha

So I've started developing a plan for what to do to this thing. first step - it needs to be quieter. its way too loud and boomy for freeway cruising. will throw in a centre muffler or something soon. also, when i get the diff rebuilt, i will try find a longer ratio final drive for it. it does something like 3200rpm at 110 which is just not necessary

i've also picked up a few of the trims and stuff that was missing in the interior, as well as a spare HVAC unit as nick said something inside the HVAC had broken on the current one.

Comment

That digi dash is peak 80's and cool in a way, but from a practical perspective it does a pretty crap job of conveying information to the driver. Hence mine is gone and I'll be replacing it with... something.

Manual RA65 came with a 3.58:1 diff ratio which is the tallest you can easily get in the F series. I have one in my MA61 and it works really well.
                        Norbie!

Comment

I put the analogue RA65 dash in mine after my electronic dash expired and that was way better and conveniently fit in the dash without modification.

Comment

if its got the original diff and was an auto it would be a 4.1 which would suck (manual was 3.9)

a mate had a stock 1jz @14psi with W58 and a 3.9 and it felt just right, he then put a 3.5 in it and it felt slower but cruised nicer.

i had a 3.9 behind my 2jz and getrag and 1st gear was useless so i took his 3.5 and it was perfect with the 6 speed.

i suppose the challenge is to find a diff these days that _isnt_ full of 1000 screaming monkeys.

HTH
                            www.holditflat.com

Comment

if i could get one new for reasonable money i would, but i can roll the dice on a used one too i guess. RA65s werent exactly popular with the racerboy crowd so i might get lucky with a good condition second hand one. it would still get new bearings and shit when the truetrac got swapped into it, so as long as the crown wheel and pinion were good the rest can be junk. EDIT - does anyone know whether the diff casings are the same between ma61 and ra65 IE are they a straight swap? or will i need to put the ra65 gears into my ma61 casing?

i also have no issues with the digital dash. my AW11, my soarer, and the ma61 all have digital dashes lol

they are all also boosted. turbo 4, turbo 6, s/c 8. haha how about that

Comment

Working...
                              X