Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I suppose i'll need to buy a flat brim hat now...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose i'll need to buy a flat brim hat now...

So after having an Evo 8 MR for the last 6 years (thread here), I came to two key realisations that made me reconsider ownership.
    The first, being I had grown too attached to it and it was "too nice" to do the track shenanigans I enjoy so much, and the second was an awareness that the value of these things are going up and it was a great time to get out.

So I through it up for sale - made 30% more than I paid for it 6 years ago, and laughed at the profit I've made on it (let's just forget about the maintenance/mod costs...)

The goal for the next car was fun, RWD, and something I could throw around and not care about.
    I particularly liked 86's after doing a lot of motorkhana and skid pan work in them - but hated the asthmatic performance, so figured a boosted model might work well.

After test driving a few good and bad examples, I settled on this bullet supercharged (sprintex kit) 86:

It's a 2012 model with 44k on the clock, and engineered for all of the following:
    • Sprinter supercharger + intercooler kit
    • JBT 6 piston front brakes and 355mm rotors
    • JBT 4 piston rear brakes and 345mm rotors
    • Tein Street Advance Coilovers
    • Extractors back exhaust
    • Japanese knock off "18 wheels and yum-cha tyres

Drives like it's got a bigger motor - but just as rev happy as a factory model.
    Still looks like a hairdressers car though....

The plan for the car is:
    • Do a solid once over on all fluids
    • Fuck those rubbish wheels/tyres off
    • Get an aftermarket oil cooler fitted
    • Get some adjustable strut tops - and dial in a solid alignment all round
    • Drive like I stole it on-track
    Obligatory skid pic

was expecting a hilux tbh. Looks good! how does the charger sound? needs Ferari badges too.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
      was expecting a hilux tbh. Looks good! how does the charger sound? needs Ferari badges too.
      The charger does have a whine, but not as loud as I expected - most people probably wouldn't know.
      Although, it is running the stock airbox which may be quietening the noise a little.
      Obligatory skid pic

Comment

Only 165rwkw...

How many do these make stock then?

Comment

Originally posted by MexicanBatman View Post
          Only 165rwkw...

Around 110wkw from memory - so an additional 55wkw isn't all that bad.
          Definitely not the power of the turbo kits, but hey - not terrible either.
          Obligatory skid pic

Comment

an evo 8... THEN an 86? you are in IT I take it?

:p

good buy. looks awesome. didn't know they only had 110 stock.

you'd defiantly feel the extra from the SC then. the brakes would also be nice.
            Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Nice! Will be interesting to see what you think after taking it on track. Iím doing the Street sprints with the 86 club at QR on the 30th of March if you are keen.
              "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by MexicanBatman View Post
                Only 165rwkw...

Dyno day about 5 years ago I saw anything between 105-114rwkw on standard cars, 122rwkw on a car with exhaust/intake/tune on 98 and 131 on mine with exhaust/intake/E85 tune. Considering the sprintex kits were like $6000-$7000 from memory that's not bad without having to stress about destroying the glass gearbox.

Comment

Just thought that made a bit more

But 50rwkw is nice

And about exactly what I want in mine

Mines lighter than an 86 too

Comment

Good profit on the EMO! Shoulda come like this from the factory, great buy!

Comment

interested in how you go with the supercharger on hill runs etc, would love mx5/86 with a setup like that.
                      Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                      Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                        an evo 8... THEN an 86? you are in IT I take it?
                        Yes... and if it helps solidify the cliche, I had a WRX previously too!

Originally posted by Cliffordcliffs View Post
                        Nice! Will be interesting to see what you think after taking it on track. Iím doing the Street sprints with the 86 club at QR on the 30th of March if you are keen.
                        Possibly - want to get the wheels/tyres and oil cooler sorted before I hit the track.
                        If I can get it done before then, then absolutely.

Gave it a proper look over, then fanged up Nebo tonight.
                        • Still has stock intake, headers and overpipe. So there's plenty more power to unlock with those upgraded and E85
                        • Charge cooling liquid for the supercharger isn't a great color - will be priority to swap that
                        • Tyres are not brilliant, but not as terrifying as I was expecting - I could lean on them a bit and they stayed predictable
                        • Power is deceptive. It feels meh at first, but then just keeps building and building (I guess I'm so used to the sudden surge of the turbo)
                        • My driveway is definitely not made for the ride height of the cars front bumper
                        Obligatory skid pic

Comment

These are a great little car for the reasons you mentioned, lots of fun & little fucks given if you clout the wall. Similar reasons I'm considering a turbo MX5.
                          Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

165kw. thats holden 5.0 efi power....

sweet looking ride though dude
                            Originally posted by Marv
                            Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Looks like it should be loads of fun. These are a good chassis and with the power and brakes already sorted it looks like youíve got the whole package from which to build on. At what point do the motors go bang?

Comment

Working...
                              X