X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guido View Post
    Cheers for that! Couple of questions:
    1) is $1250 for a known good 4.3 torsen too much?
    2) What braces do you mean? This car is 100% standard
    3) Do 15x9" require guard rolling ??
    He means the trans tunnel brace and diff subframe brace. Both of which comes standard on an NB8B.

However, if you are bothering to logbook the car and you remove the braces you will need a tailshaft loop (and if a scrote gets picky). The standard braces effectively act as a tailshaft drop preventer, and are lighter than the usual loops.

SpecMiata guys swear by them. YMMV.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

$1250 is as high as you would want to go. The MX5 shop in qld ship them for cheaper I think. All the Oem braces do nothing for lap times. That goes for the strut brace that was in the way of your master cyl stopper. I would roll the guards if the car is going to be lower than stock. It's only when you put 225/50/15's on like A050's that you really need to fully roll the guards. 45 profile is much friendlier for clearance.
      NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
      NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
      VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

If you ring them and buy direct they normally inc shipping for free.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mazda-MX...AAAMXQl99Q416t
        NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
        NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
        VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

Yeah, thatís the one I was referring to, I can pick it up.
          Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

is this six speed or five speed?
            have been looking at one of these or an NA but found i really needed a six speed with the diff ratios i wanted!
            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
            Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Lightyear - so really the big swaybar on front, none on the rear? That doesn't make it understeer on slower corners?

Sam - yep, a 6 speed, the NB8B (2000-2004) had the 6 speed and the Australia only sill tall diff, 3.6. The 6 speed certainly seems to require a little more conscious thought changing from 5th back to 4th.

My Italian 510

Comment

Lightyear - so really the big swaybar on front, none on the rear? That doesn't make it understeer on slower corners?

Sam - yep, a 6 speed, the NB8B (2000-2004) had the 6 speed and the Australia only sill tall diff, 3.6. The 6 speed certainly seems to require a little more conscious thought changing from 5th back to 4th.
                Awesome. Iíve got my eye on an NA mx5, hopefully the six speed drops in
                Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Round 2 Morgan Park Super Sprints just entered, 13 & 14 April. Bare minimum I'd like to get done by then is pads and fluids, a few busy weekends before then.

My Italian 510

Comment

Stuff.

Flogging the ring out of it got 10.2/100 on the way down and 8.4/100 on the way back.
                    Sweet, looks good. How'd you get it to do 10.2/100 though, my old NA6 did like 7-8 no matter what and I was certainly never easy on that car. I actually thought it was just set up with a static amount of fuel injected into it.

Originally posted by clutch-monkey View Post
                    Awesome. Iíve got my eye on an NA mx5, hopefully the six speed drops in
                    From memory yes there'll by a million walkthroughs on the various forums.

Comment

The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Originally posted by lightyear View Post
                        Firstly, congrats on buying the right model MX5.

I have plenty of experience in tracking MX5's as you know. This list can be taken how you like. But your a dickhead if you do it differently.

1. B.C B.R Coilovers. Last I looked they are under $1200 new. Just get the off the shelf ones, no need to go custom Spring rates.
                        2. Big fuck off front hollow swaybar from 949Racing or whoever 1.125". Ditch the rear one. $350 or so.
                        3. Once you have all the bits on the car, corner weight and wheel align it properly. $? Not sure what your guy charges.
                        4. Remove all your stupid heavy braces. They are not needed. $0
                        5. AR1M pads are fine. As above $119
                        6. Torsen 4.3 diff $1000. You can sell yours for a few hundred, Beavis sends the gears to the states.
                        7. Braided lines and dot 4 or better fluid.
                        8. 15x9 949 Racing or Advanti's or whatever you find cheap that's light.
                        9. Nitto NT01's or Nankangs. 225/45/15
                        10. Seat, harness, safety, etc.

This will be plenty to have fun in a car that will be awesome to throw around. Predictable and precise. When you get bored, an exhaust, cheap extractors and pod filter will be the next step. 1.6 Lightweight flywheel and heavy duty clutch after that.
                        Then you can buy a carbon fibre hardtop off me and ditch your soft top. (A good soft top sells for $6-$700)
                        This set up would get you at the front of any group of MX5's. I normally even beat the turbo ones.
                        So Australia Post returned the master cylinder to me for some unknown reason. So I unbolted the strut brace and fitted it up last night. I've also order QFM A1RM pads and tow hooks. A bloke in Brisbane has 15x9 6ULs for sale for $800, offered him $700 and so far no go, he's had the advertised for a while so we'll see what happens.

Whare are you getting the BC BRs for $1200? Where I'm looking they seem to be $1400. Do 8kg front, 6kg rear seem right? http://bcracing.com.au/n-04-ra

My Italian 510

Comment

I bought BC's for my E30 off these guys. Price hasn't changed in 9 years. $1299

http://justjap.com/bc-racing-coilove..._store=default
                          The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Yeah, the BRs are $1400.

Anyways, it gets a 4.3 torsen next week. Should really wake it up & make it keep up with council buses now.

My Italian 510

Comment

Yeah, the BRs are $1400.
                              Yeah I had BR's, so they have gone up $100 in 9 years. I quite liked them and some of the 2F guys race with them.

Comment

A bloke in Brisbane has 15x9 6ULs for sale for $800, offered him $700 and so far no go, he's had the advertised for a while so we'll see what happens.
                                Just be careful with 15 x 9s. You'll really want a 225 wide tyre on those, and there aren't a heap of options in 225/45/15. Even then you 'll need to keep an eye on clearances to struts/coilovers and guards will most likely need to be rolled.
                                2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
                                2004 MX5 SE Turbo
                                2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

Working...
                                X