EP3 Civic Type R vtec yo

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i can't remember the peak power figure it was about 10kw over stock I/H/E, my understanding was that if you did the headers you would pair it with the ecu and tuning. There would have been fuck all pick up on headers without tune.

i had buddy club system, was loud as fuck, ended up with a fujitsubo was much better.

Felt much smoother after tuning as well, not that it wasn't to start off.

Comment

Ok yeah thatís what I would have thought. 10kw is substantial in pissy little N/A so if one comes up Iíll grab it. Finding someone in SA to tune it on the other hand...

Comment

Dude I rate these. Nice. Two of my mates are Honda diehards, and have to admit the vtec wail 1/2/3 speed run is pretty addictive.

Comment

Make sure you keep the stock exhaust to sell the car later down the track. Most kids would swap a stock system for a full header to muffler for a few hundred or straight swap the axel back system. I would go SSR type C or p1 but they're drug money now. Maybe a set of Evo 9 bbs if they're the same pattern can't remember the PCd. Regamasters are retarded money.

Comment

Originally posted by BLO 767 View Post
            Dude I rate these. Nice. Two of my mates are Honda diehards, and have to admit the vtec wail 1/2/3 speed run is pretty addictive.
            Old man used to have an S2000 and vtec was awesome, despite all the piss takes! Mate who picked the car up for me owns a GT3 and said he was impressed with it for what it is. I wouldnít know as I havenít seen the fuckn thing yet...trucking co. refused to take it as itís too low so going to get it in to a suspension joint in Sydney to have the coilovers wound up.

Originally posted by im_boostn View Post
            Make sure you keep the stock exhaust to sell the car later down the track. Most kids would swap a stock system for a full header to muffler for a few hundred or straight swap the axel back system. I would go SSR type C or p1 but they're drug money now. Maybe a set of Evo 9 bbs if they're the same pattern can't remember the PCd. Regamasters are retarded money.
            I donít compute...keep stock system to sell the aftermarket bits after is what youíre getting at? It has a Mugen twin loop cat back on it which Iíll prob rip off and sell, but I hear itís fairly quiet which could suit my needs nicely. The Evo wheels do fit and fit quite nicely!

Comment

So after the trucking company refused to take my car as it was too low, and me organizing to have the coilovers lifted and front bar removed, they finally collected the car before parking it at their depot for 3 weeks. 5 weeks later, I finally have the car in my possession.

Initial thoughts on the condition were good. Interior very clean as described by seller, exterior has a few minor areas that need tidying but the body is nice and straight and will clean up well. Fark the wheels are horrible, donít fit correctly, tyres over stretched and generally tasteless. Someone has clearly gone with all show without a care in the world for how they might function.

First task was to fit the front bumper back on. 15 minute job with only 4 bolts. Could not believe how simple it was. The Mugen lip is hopefully going, Iíve arranged a trade for an OEM with some p-plater in Melbourne.

Having a closer look at this car, all the bushes and engine mounts look solid and in good condition so I suspect the 88K is half believable as they tend to wear on these cars. As mentioned, the interior is very clean, except the steering wheel had 3mm of crud caked on all around it. Iím telling myself it was hair wax but a couple of dry heaves were had while cleaning it all off. Also gave the car a quick bath as it was filthy from transport.

^^ these two are quite an odd pair.

In prep for getting rego in SA I picked up some OEM wheels from someone wrecking one which were in fairly poor condition. I had them powder coated and they came up well.

BEFORE

AFTER

Only thing left to do with the wheels is respray the centre caps and fit new Honda logos.

Then it was off to local tyre boys to have an alignment carried out and some AD08R fitted. Of course the previous owner had slammed the coilovers as low as they would go. I have subsequently wound them up as high as they will go which is still not very high. This enables better geometry so I donít have to stuff around with roll center adjustment. We got the alignment fairly close but Iíve ordered some rear camber arms so that I can dial the rear in. Front is covered with the camber tops.

I much prefer the look with the factory wheels, looks like a type r now.

This was my first time driving the car on the way to rego inspection now (where I now wait). The alignment has certainly helped, but the steering feels quite vague just off center which is supposedly a symptom of these cars with their lack of caster and electronic power steering. Not the greatest feeling when powering out of a corner! Iím told a simple caster bushing kit from SuperPro fixes this so
              Iíll probably do that when I do the rear camber arms. Otherwise the car is great, close ratio box is awesome and the vtec engagement is a lot of fun. Itís underpowered by modern standards but itís really not what the car is about and I donít see myself getting bored of it any time soon. It feels very simple, engaging and focused which is basically what I was after.

Other changes for now will be fitting an OEM front grill which is on its way from Japan and some pre face lift tail lights which arenít altezza style.

Comment

Cheap, engaging, reliable and practical daily is a win!

Comment

Originally posted by spiller View Post
                  This was my first time driving the car on the way to rego inspection now (where I now wait). The alignment has certainly helped, but the steering feels quite vague just off center which is supposedly a symptom of these cars with their lack of caster and electronic power steering. Not the greatest feeling when powering out of a corner! Iím told a simple caster bushing kit from SuperPro fixes this so
                  Iíll probably do that when I do the rear camber arms.
                  Mike Kojima/MotoIQ did a good write up on the EP3 chassis and the mods they did to improve the handling mate, interesting read https://motoiq.com/category/projects.../civic-si-ep3/

Comment

^^^ many thanks

Comment

Which transport company had it parked in there yard for 3 weeks?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                      I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Sounds like the transport company name may start with PR? If so I have had a similar experience

Comment

It was SMB. In their defence they didnít charge me for going out to get the car and being unable to load it the first time for it being too low. Still, 10 business day quoted transit is long enough, yet they had it there for 15. Wonít be using again.

Comment

Oh ok....yeah well ill leave that alone.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                            I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Looking great with the factory wheels.

Comment

I donít usually resort to asking for subjective opinions the Internet, but Iíve been tossing up between keeping the Mugen front or swapping it for OEM. The Mugen parts consist of the lower lip and different grill. My first instinct was to get rid of it as it looks a tad over the top for my tastes and somewhat dates the car, but now Iím not sure. I do tend to gravitate towards OEM styling.

Possible combinations are:

Mugen lip and grill together (what I currently have):

OEM grill and lip:

Mugen lip with OEM grill:

OEM lip with Mugen grill:

Comment

Working...
                                X