Red Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post

Windang Bowling club a great feed on the south side as well.

Edit not exactly north but the Master Builders has a Bistro on the right as you walk in and is a mint feed.
    Say hello to my nopics Nanny whilst you're there. She's usually spending the kids inheritance on pokies out of spite.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post

Say hello to my nopics Nanny whilst you're there. She's usually spending the kids inheritance on pokies out of spite.
      Plenty of them there that hobble across on there zimmer frame from the retirement caravan park next door.
      I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

He does work at Wgong Auto Supplies bigship.

Comment

No worries cheers. Discounts for PF cunts. Excellent!
          I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post

Plenty of them there that hobble across on there zimmer frame from the retirement caravan park next door.
            Thats her!
            "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
            (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
            Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

As much as I wish I could say that I had a cousin with a Lada, alas, I do work at WAS. If anyone has come in and asked for a discount and received a vacant stare, it was probably me. Or if you said hi and received a vacant stare, it was probably me. Just know that I am susceptible to Secret Handshake™s.

One thing that sets the Z apart from comparable Silvia/Skyline models is the location of the heater core. The latter Nissans have the heater core on passenger side, with pipework wrapping around the motors to reach it. The Z has the heater core right next to the clutch master setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jumF3I3.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	905.9 KB
ID:	7111001

One pair easily lines up using a shortened S-bend hose from the S13 setup. The other one features a hard pipe that turns away from the heater core. Ideally this would just be cut off and bead rolled, but I have no bead roller, and at the moment am trying to make everything fit with 'off-the-shelf' parts.

Name:	bVrQwVA.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	7111002

The lats two pipes can be joined using a mix of S13 and Z32 hoses, and is probably a good place for air bubbles to hang out and prosper.

Name:	KKX0VaU.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	824.3 KB
ID:	7111003

Another nice feature of the S13 hoses is that I replaced them all with OEM pieces 1.5 years ago. The Z hoses however appear to have been oil soaked despite the cleanliness of the cramped engine bay and look ready to fail. This combo only needs a straight plastic joiner piece to be complete, but I'll have a rummage at work for another OEM piece that can replace this.

Once the car is back together and running I'll revisit shortening that hard pipe and simplifying the setup. As for "doing it now while there is easy access", 6'1" 100kg males can currently fit in the engine bay, so once intercooler piping is in it should still be accessible, if I don't need to get feet involved.

Name:	EPxPdLq.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	847.4 KB
ID:	7111004

Comment

With a little genius engineering you created a new high point in the coolant system. Tap it with a tek screw to aid in bleeding the system!

Comment

Will look for vacant stare next time im there. To be honest though that doesn't narrow it down a lot.
                  I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Progress is agonisingly slow still, but have been ticking a few jobs off at least. Immediately after the last post, I hit the Mackay catalog for more suitable hoses. Apparently, noone makes off the shelf hoses with a 16mm -> 19mm transition to suit an SR20 in a Z32. Weird. Anyway, salvation came from a TF Rodeo and an EF falcon and a 90 degree joiner, and the abomination hose was remade much neater.

Name:	6uqnkfb.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	7115368

It does just touch on the casting of the head slightly, but has much more clearance from everything else. Will cover it with conduit and keep an eye on it. For the time being.

Name:	khbyrzn.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	7115369

Next up was tending to the height of the radiator. I'm hoping to be able to use an OEM clutch fan with a skyline fan shroud (much shorter than a Silvia one), but have to finalise the position of the engine and rad before that can be sorted. Anyway, as seen previously, the S13 rad is actually 50mm shorter than the factory Z item.

Name:	3xTkfkj.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	712.6 KB
ID:	7115370

Again after raiding the shelves, I found a packet of Silvia-Radiator-in-Fairlady bushes. Handy!

Name:	Ft79SCE.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	507.6 KB
ID:	7115371

Or thats what it became after receiving a step drill up the guts. Still need to trim a few mm but now the radiator is sitting more appropriately. The radiator top mounts also double up as the bonnet stay mounts, with nice plastic clips to hold it snug, so re-making those to suit a lower rad would have just added another job.

Name:	Y1Q008N.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	667.7 KB
ID:	7115372

An easier job on the cooling front was finishing off the oil cooler. Thankfully there were a lot of unused threaded holes in the body now, from removed superfluous items, so with a few basic bent flat bar brackets made, the nice fat juicy HPI cooler is mounted quite well in the driver side void. Strangely, the old lines from the Sil80 were inappropriate for some reason. Routing them in a way to leave space for intercooler piping meant that they were 50 / 100mm too short, and the straight AN fittings were helping noone.

Name:	3KbHBdD.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	448.2 KB
ID:	7115374

So I indulged in a little walletectomy and remade the two lines in 400 series hose with pushlock fittings. I don't know how cunts can plumb their whole cars in this stuff and pay retail prices. Shame its ruined my colour scheme though.

Name:	aF49WfJ.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	661.2 KB
ID:	7115373

Next two hurdles I'm trying to juggle are power steering lines and intercooler positioning. Power steering setup seems semi straightforward to remake with AN fittings, but a few more things to look into. There are plenty of braided line kits from America but they always seem to leak. Interestingly, the Z has a different fitting arrangement into the rack compared to Silvias and Skylines. S/R chassis use a tapered fitting that seals with O-rings. This will be fine to reuse the factory banjo bolts with banjo > dash 6 fittings, but the high pressure output from the pump uses an M18 banjo. The banjo bolt itself is spring loaded, and I don't know about its workings to fuck with it. Seemed liked a gooder idea to replace it with normal metric>AN fitting but I dont want to end up with a pump that doesn't pump. M18x1.5 > AN dash 6 banjos don't seem like a common part, so I might just shout at it for a while longer.

Other puzzle piece is the intercooler. I was always intending on using an R34 GTT side mount, since they are beefy as fuck and support my power goal. In a continuing theme, it appears to be completely unsuitable for the Z chassis. Its quite bulky and the outlets are in completely the wrong directions.

Name:	fNJM4UP.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	7115375

I'm not smart enough to cut them off and weld them up in a better orientation. I've still got to fully explore routing and mounting it sideways, but the Z designers have already beat me there by also packaging the absolutely gigantic charcoal canister and overflow bottles in the same space. I could relocate them, but it feels like moving deck chairs on the titanic. Other OEM intercoolers might be more suitable, I might look into a JZZ30 Soarer side mount, but that might affect the purity of the build (please ignore the previous Holden and Ford parts, they don't exist).

I really want to keep nailing down jobs on this thing, but it looks like time is running out for the parts car that I conveniently abandoned...

Name:	jVwSQdn.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	760.5 KB
ID:	7115376

Comment

You have moat at your house? .Baller...

Comment

Kevs patio perhaps
                        you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

Originally posted by nopistons View Post

Name:	jVwSQdn.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	760.5 KB
ID:	7115376
                          Typical 300Z with a blown top radiator hose. They all do this I swear
                          "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

So a nice feature found in the two seater Z is some bonus reinforcement. Specifically, behind the seats, there is a metal bar that ties in the B pillars, and also acts as a support for most of the rear trim in the area.

It's also good for steering wheel removals

Name:	NIoQ6j2.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	7115816

Comment

How loud was the 'thunk' when the wheel finally let go?

Comment

The look on his face when he realised it was still bolted on?

Priceless :D

Comment

Working...
                                X