Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living life 12 plugs at a time

Just bought one of these crusty lump motors -

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now, Skid Factory got me all re-motivated.
    Was eyeing off a few BMW V12's for a while (M70, M73) but thin on the ground (came real close to buying a whole car for 3k, but the alternator was fucked and being in SA too much of a cluster fuck to try and fix in a weekend + drive back).

Oggled all sorts of other motors. Merc M275's were pretty temping but fuck all available in Australia. The yanks seem to have a steady supply but you're looking at the fat end of 8k landed to Australia. 8k could get you a V10 Viper motor :D

Looked at some other odd options, Ford do a Modular 6.8 V10 (out of a motor home). Tempting but gave it a pass.

Settled for a 1GZ. Bit more budget friendly, can buy a R154 bellhousing adapter etc. So will probably get one of those and just a cheap R150 gearbox from a Hilux. I don't actually have a car to stick it in yet....motor is a while away from Japan so gives me time to sell my AE92 Levin and find something more suitable to jam this into.

As for boost / no boost. Probably go the no boost route on this one. Might look into ITB's and keep things simple for a change.

Am taking suggestions for things to jam it into too. So far thinking of a MX73 with the red velure interior?

Edit: Got a Lexus!
    Attached Files

Needs to be 4 door/4 seater?

'13 Yamaha R1 // '16 Toyota Hilux SR5 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

Originally posted by shifted View Post
      May need to relieve the firewall a little for that one...
      (That does make me feel a bit nostalgic for mine)
      "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Watching with interest...
        " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

The Mk3 not spitting gaskets sounds like a novel idea and looks different.
          Originally posted by Mr Jones
          Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Comment

holden hg wagon. do eeeet
            I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
            WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
            robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

I like your philosophy of 'engine now, car later'.

I've always loved the MS65 Crowns for this sort of stuff, but there are a million reasons it's a bad idea.

MX73 Cressida is certainly the smartest move.

One of the guys on the Valiant forums got hold of a 6.8 modular V10 and was putting it in something stupid.

Comment

I thought 6 bangers fit ok in RA23's? Wont fit a TA though

Celica Supra is the go though
                Toyota Starlet

QR Sprint - 65.9 secs
                QR Clubman - 70.2 secs
                Gatton Street - 42.5 secs

Flickr - Picasa

Comment

I remember someone telling me the 1gz fits better in the mk3 Supra than the mk4
                  Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                  Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Big engine needs a big car. Do the needy...

Comment

I vote standard bodied/paint but slammed MS55 Crown sedan or wagon
                      1978 Gemini Sedan - Powered by i change my mind every week
                      1980 Gemini Sedan
                      1992 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

Comment

Whatever car you buy it needs to be compatible with a front sump engine. See the latest Skid Factory video for why that is; basically, the oil pump lives inside the sump and can't be moved. Your other option is dry sump and that means $$$$.

MX73 and MA61 are both front sump setups so will work nicely. I happen to have an MA61 parked next to a GZG50 Century in my shed, so I've done all the measurements and I'm confident no major surgery would be required. MX73 engine bay is very similar so I reckon that will fit too.

Mk3/Mk4 Supra are a mid-rear sump setup so forget that unless you're made of money and/or just plain hate yourself.
                        Norbie!

Comment

Mercedes 190E.
                          "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

MA61 would be pretty cool to bang one into. Although Dneg used to own one so not sure if it's cool for brothers to have matching cars. Amount of doors doesn't really bother me.

For some reason these have me curious - https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/weth...yal/1216426248

The poor mans Century? They use a dirty 5M and for memory they are front sump so that could work........

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
                              Mercedes 190E.
                              shots fired/poland invaded
                              I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
                              WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
                              robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Working...
                              X